Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
yunales
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: P K

Possibility to keep HP 3par Snapshots after backup?

Post by yunales »

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering why this feature isn't implemented yet. I'm using Veeam with HP 3Par Snapshots to do the backup nice fast and easy for business ciritical apps like SQL server for SAP with VSS integration.

So far so good, but when it comes to a restore I have mainly these possibilities:
Restore whole VM with SQL server from Repository, app consitent - takes ages for TBs
Restore SQL Server from Repository, app consistent - takes ages for TBs
Restore from HP 3Par Snapshot(I hold 3 days worth of them scheuduled directly at 3par), NOT app consitent - but faster restore and better instant recovery!

so why isn't there a possibility to KEEP the app consitent HP3par snapshot after the san backup is finished for let's say 3 days for emergency restores?

regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Possibility to keep HP 3par Snapshots after backup?

Post by Gostev »

Hi, simply because there were too few requests for us to add this functionality. Thanks!
yunales
Influencer

Post by yunales »

Hi Gostev,

thanks for the answer. Could you propose this to R&D then?

in the meantime is there perhaps a possibility, perhaps using a "post-backup" script, to not delete the 3par snapshot? I saw you have a powershell api and command to work with HP 3par.

regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Our API can only control functionality that we do have in the product, and keeping storage snapshot is not currently available.
SyNtAxx
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Post by SyNtAxx »

Is there a way to schedule storage snapshots via the veeam application/api to create application consistent snapshots to be used as recovery points out side of a scheduled backup policy? Example, I can manually create a SAN snapshot from the storage infrastructure section of Veeam (presumably application consistant?) Can that be scheduled at some interval to use as fast tier one recovery points? thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I am fairly certain that one is not application-consistent, this functionality is only provided to simplify Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots evaluation...
Ulrichg
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ulrich Gollerthan

[MERGED] Feature Request: Permanent Snapshot with HPE 3PAR

Post by Ulrichg »

The snapshot Integration of veeam backup & Integration with HPE 3PAR StoreServ storage System works excellent.
But unfortunately the snapshot on HPE 3PAR is canceled after the veeam backup Job has finished. As the snapshots with EMC and NetApp storage are not canceled, when the backup Job has finished, I guess, that it must be very easy for veeam to realize permant snapshots with HPE 3PAR storage also.

We need these permanent snapshots with HPE storage very urgently !!!!

Please provide us the requested feature in a patch in the next weeks. We cannot wait until the next official release is available.

Thank you !
Ulrichg
gerhard_vilsecker
Lurker
Full Name: Gerhard Vilsecker

[MERGED]: Feature Request: Snapshot Only backup for HPE 3PAR

Post by gerhard_vilsecker »

Hi all,
we have meanwhile a lot of customer opportunities for snapshot only backups on HPE 3PAR. We urgently need this feature in Veeam backup & replication. Please let us know about your plannings regarding this feature.

Thanks and regards

Gerhard
SyNtAxx
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Re: Feature Request: Permanent Snapshot with HPE 3PAR

Post by SyNtAxx »

I would love to be able to create\schedule\retain Application Consistent 3par Snapshots. It is touted in the product that you can recover from snapshots, why not allow it to be created\scheduled from within the Veeam application?

Thanks,

Nick
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks for your feedback, guys. This functionality is on our radar, however we cannot provide any estimation on its availability.
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Post by Aremac »

Is there a technical reason this capability wasn't part of the current version. The feature disparity between storage systems is causing some issues. The "Primary storage snapshot only" as a backup repository or as secondary backup target is a feature my NetApp clients use. It really allows leveraging the capabilities of Veeam with the Storage system. It's absence for 3PAR is glaring especially for some of my clients that are transitioning from NetApp to 3PAR. I'm hoping it was just an oversight and can be added quickly as the feature already exists for the other storage vendors.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Sam, the reason is mentioned in the first Anton's post above - too few requests for this functionality.
jan.westgard@nhn.no
Novice
Full Name: Jan Westgård

[MERGED] Feature request

Post by jan.westgard@nhn.no »

Hi,

We are using Veeam B&R (Version 9 SP1) with 3PAR (primay storage) and Hp StoreOnce (primary backup repository) integration. When VBR takes a storage snapshot (3PAR) as part of a VMware backup, would it be possible to retain a number of snapshots for “quick restore” or “rollback”. I guess it would need the snapshot name or ID tracking in the job’s metadata file. If the user was given the option to keep a number of snapshots when the job starts it could check the number of existing “Veeam Snaphots” and delete those exceeding the limit set in the job. Is this possible?

Thanks and kind regards,

/Jan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I think your request looks more or less similar to the one discussed here. So, please, take a look at the answers provided previously.

Also, we have a commandlet using which you can create a 3PAR snapshot. Therefore, you can write and schedule a script that will take storage snapshots on whatever basis you want to.

Thanks.
jazzoberoi
Enthusiast
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Jazz Oberoi

Post by jazzoberoi »

Hi Guys, +1 to add this functionality to Veeam.

The way we're envisioning our infrastructure (Hyper-V) is:

- Take app consistent quick 3par snapshots every 30-60 mins from 9am to 5pm. (These to be deleted at the end of the day, so 1 day retention)
- Backup to a HP 360p server with DAS (7 day retention)
- Copy this backup to storeonce using catalyst (7 years retention)
- Replicate this backup copy to a remote DR storeonce via 'Catalyst Copy' (7 years retention)

Now, i know that the 'Catalyst Copy' feature is in the works so is not yet available. Is it safe to assume that the 3par snapshot as described above is also in the works ?
jan.westgard@nhn.no
Novice

Hi,

I have looked at these "cmdlet" which integrates Veeam B&R with different storage systems, but by using these we have to deal with both retention and restore manually. I was hoping that this was possible to handle within Veeam B&R GUI in the same way as ordinary backup/restore functions. Perhaps this may be something that can be included in future versions?

Regards, Jan
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Perhaps this may be something that can be included in future versions?
It all depends on the amount of demand coming from our customers. So, thank you for the feedback; appreciated.
michaele
Lurker
Full Name: Michael

Post by michaele »

Hi,

i have some customers they this feature also need. In my case the most customers have a StoreOnce as Primary Target. A Instant Recovery from a Dedup-Appliance is very slow (8 Minutes from registration to pingable).
The next Problem with the "add-hp3snapshot" is, that this dosen't have a application integration.

Please add this in one of the next versions.

Regards
Michael
DagMoen
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dag Moen

Post by DagMoen »

Hi, can you please get this feature implemented? I have several 3PAR customers asking for this feature...

Rgds

Dag
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Let them share the feedback in this thread. The more demand feature request generates, the higher chances it gets implemented. Thanks.
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Post by Aremac »

Agree this is a major concern for customers moving from NetApp, where this feature as well as snapshot only backup jobs are already in place, to 3PAR. I was told by rep Veeam had feature parity between supported storage vendors as far as snapshot integration is concerned. This is currently not the case.
jan.westgard@nhn.no
Novice

foggy wrote:Hi Sam, the reason is mentioned in the first Anton's post above - too few requests for this functionality.
Hi, how many customer request do you need to look into and maybe implement such functionality?

Regards, Jan
jan.westgard@nhn.no
Novice

foggy wrote:Thanks for your feedback, guys. This functionality is on our radar, however we cannot provide any estimation on its availability.
Hi, I think a lot of HP 3PAR customers will appreciate the possibility to keep snapshots created by Veeam, hopefully such a feature will be available soon.

Regards, Jan
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

jan.westgard@nhn.no wrote:Hi, how many customer request do you need to look into and maybe implement such functionality?
This is not the only requested feature, we prioritize all of them this way, so once the particular one gets into the top priority, it gets implemented. I'm assuring you, it is on our radar.
yunales
Influencer

Post by yunales »

just a friendly reminder for this feature request :)
FTBZ
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by FTBZ »

It would be very nice to be able to schedule 3PAR snapshot in a Veeam job like we can do with NetApp.
ivordillen
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ivor Dillen

Post by ivordillen »

Indeed a backup (only shapshot) or a backup (leave the snapshot) feature would be nice for 3PAR. It would also be nice if we could choose to do this on primary or remote copy side.

The flexibility would help a lot to create a fully integrated fully managed solution.

kind regard,

Ivor
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Post by SBarrett847 »

yunales wrote:just a friendly reminder for this feature request :)
And here too.

As well as a Snapshot browser for Hyper-V.
rampuli
Lurker
Full Name: Roger Mafli

Post by rampuli »

Feature Request!

I work as a partner of Veeam and we have at least 20 customers with at least 40 3PAR Systems waiting exactly for this feature. On top of this it would also help in selling Veeam.

Please prioritize this feature request!

Best regards,
Roger
DeLiriOusNoMaD
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: BillA

Post by DeLiriOusNoMaD »

I would also like to see this feature very much. also is there any particular reason VBR doesnt leverage 3PAR RMC as it's api to perform the actual snapshots, instead of directly connecting to the array itself? HPE is advising its customers moving forward it is recommending backup vendors to use RMC instead of connecting directly to array. some backup vendors are actively using RMC to do their backups! Also if you speak with your 3PAR rep and have an active contract they'll give you the software for free. also dont see RMC currently supplanting VBR any time soon.