Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kunniyoor
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Krishnakuamr

All backup proxies are offline or outdated

Post by kunniyoor »

Me to facing the same issue. I have a fresh windows 2012 R2 box and got installed with Veeam v9.0. Protected environment is VMWare and getting the message "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: All backup proxies are offline or outdated".
rhannevig
Novice
Full Name: Robert Hannevig

Re: On-host proxy requires upgrade

Post by rhannevig »

Have you checked firewall on Windows server and/or between the sites?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: On-host proxy requires upgrade

Post by Vitaliy S. »

kunniyoor, please avoid posting log snippets as per our forum rules. Also please include a support case ID, when posting a technical issue. Thanks!
istoOi
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Re: All backup proxies are offline or outdated

Post by istoOi »

Hey. I have the same problem sinze 2 days.
Windows 2008 R2 Server with fresh vCenter Server 6 and veeam 9. All Backups fail with the same error message. It has worked perfectly before.
istoOi
Influencer

Post by istoOi »

-update-

I have compleatly removed veeam from the Backup Server and made a fresh installation of veeam. Nothing else has changed, but now it works.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There could be some orphaned records in the database, that's why complete re-install fixed that. If you experience the same issue next time, it is better to go to our support team and ask for assistance. Thanks!
istoOi
Influencer

Post by istoOi »

New backup job did run for over a day but compleated successfully. Now every other new backup job failes with a similar error "Failed to create processing task for VM <vm name> Error: No proxy available".
Now i did open a support case.
peturarna
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Petur Arnason

Post by peturarna »

I had the same issue on one of my jobs last night, a reboot of the proxy server resolved the issue.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

istoOi, please post your case ID, so that we could update this topic with a solution.
istoOi
Influencer

Post by istoOi » 1 person likes this post

Hello. I just want to let you know that my problem is solved bythe veeam support. The issue was that the server running veeam had the same Bios UUID as the ESXi Server (due to missing bios informations on the hp servers).
Sinze veeam use this uuid to distinguish hardware ressources, it got confused from time to time :?
Pavel-Sova
Lurker
Full Name: Pavel

Post by Pavel-Sova »

Hello. What does need to be done, to decide a problem?
istoOi
Influencer

Post by istoOi » 1 person likes this post

Hello Pavel-Sova,

two HP servers in our enviroment had no UUID, therefore the same default UUID (00000-000000-....). This UUID is generated by the model number and serial number of the server. Both numbers where missing in the BIOS settings. Boot into the BIOS, go to Advanced Settings and insert values for model and serial number (should be somewhere on a sticker on the server / server blade). After rebooting the server should have a unique UUID.
fcocquyt16
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Fletcher Cocquyt

[MERGED] : Error: All backup proxies are offline or outdated

Post by fcocquyt16 »

Got this error:

Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: All backup proxies are offline or outdated

after updating 1/2 of veeam federated vcenters - the non upgraded vcenter failed to backup with this error

Question for support - is this normal and expected?

Request docs include the relevant Veeam docs" All backup proxies are offline or outdated"

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Kindly, check the answers provided above and open your own ticket if nothing helps. Thanks.
AndyChips
Lurker
Full Name: Andy Cippico

Post by AndyChips »

I had the same error and I fixed it by upgrading Veeam Backup vPowerNFS on the backup destination host. The clue was the red X overlaying the host name in the Veeam Backup and Replication console.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

It is always recommended to have all the Veeam B&R components updated to have the same version as the backup server itself.
WayneWiseman
Novice
Full Name: Wayne Wiseman

[MERGED] Proxy servers becoming unavailable

Post by WayneWiseman »

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has experienced an issue where proxy servers become unavailable after a backup is initiated? The backup subsequently fails with error "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: All backup proxies are offline or outdated"

I do have a support case open, ID is Case # 01969382

I'm using v9 with update 2 installed, all servers are fully patched.

My Veeam Management server is a Win2012 R2 virtual machine (using VMware) and the two proxy servers are physical (also Win 2012 R2).

Backups worked previously until I made a change to the proxy server configuration. Both proxy server have 2 NIC's, one attached to 172.x network the other attached to 192.x
Initially the proxy server settings within Veeam used the 192.x addresses. Due to a change in our network configuration I had to change that to 172.x (I disabled the existing proxies and created new ones).
I had used IP addresses for the 192.x proxies and used DNS names for the 172.x proxies, so don't believe there would be a conflict in the Veeam config database.
When looking under Backup Infrastructure > Backup Proxies the servers look fine and rescanning succeeds with no errors.
Everything looks fine until you run a backup. Watching the "Action" pane, the job gets to "Waiting for backup infrastructure resources availability", sits there for a while then fails with the error "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: All backup proxies are offline or outdated"

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Wayne and welcome to the community!
Usually that error appears if there is no connection between datastore and backup proxy, if the proxy server is outdated, i.e. has components of older version than VBR server or if VBR server has the same UUID as ESXi,.
I guess your case is the first or second. So I would check the connection, perform DNS flush if needed and check if proxy upgrade is available.
Thanks!
WayneWiseman
Novice

Post by WayneWiseman »

Thanks Nikita,

I think I may have resolved the issue. After removing the 192 references from the proxies with no luck, I could still see 192 entries in the logs. I had another look over the environment and saw that the tape servers were using 192 addresses. I was able to delete one of the tape servers (the other is saying it is used by a job that I have already deleted so I need to work on that) and the backups worked last night. They didn't all complete as the window stopped at 8am (and I suspect they only had one proxy available) but it's definitely progress.

If anyone knows how I can delete this tape server that thinks it's required for a job that no longer exists, that would be useful.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the update, Wayne!
Does the console show you names of the targeted jobs?
If you are sure there are no such jobs and/or information is obsolete, try to restart VBR service.
WayneWiseman
Novice

Post by WayneWiseman »

Hi Nikita,

it turns out there were orphaned entries in the Veeam database. Support provided me with some SQL scripts to run to clean it up and now we're all good. I was able to remove the last tape server with the 192 address and now both proxies are available for backups and all running fine.

Cheers,
Wayne.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for updating the topic, Wayne!
Glad the issue is resolved now.
aich365
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Clive Harris

Post by aich365 »

We had this problem and it was caused by the PDC and BDC being out of sync.
Both restarted and now works.
mkaaden
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Error all backup proxies offline

Post by mkaaden »

First off the situation.

Physical Windows 2012 R2 machine running Veeam Backup server, also proxy and repo server.
Needed to remove some useless disks from the server to replace them with better ones to create a ReFS repo
For that proces I had to rebuild the server and do a fresh install of Windows 2016 it but keeping the data in the repo.

Before I started the rebuild I moved he Veeam Backup to a VM
Installed a fresh installation and did a config restore using the migrate option

After the rebuild I added physical host, created a new repo pointing to present data and did a complete import.
After that I added the host as VMware proxy.
Then modified all the jobs to use the physical proxy and physical repo, mapping them to there backup set.

However, when I start a job it always end with this the following error: "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: All backup proxies are offline or outdated"
Also created a test job with a single VM: same error.
After that the host appears "unavailable" in the backup infrastructure.

So what changed on the host:
- kept it standalone instead of domain member (going to apply more hardening when everything works)
- firewall is down for installation & configuration (will be enabled again everything works)
- disabled UAC

I'm stuck !
mkaaden
Enthusiast

Re: Error all backup proxies offline

Post by mkaaden »

Found something !

During installation of Veeam in the VM I was not in the possession of the service account credentials.
So I used my admin-user as service account instead.
After receiving the right credentials I stopped the services using my account and changed them to the service account.

Just out of curiosity I changed the services back to my account .... and now my test jobs runs !
I was trigged because the Agent.VddkHelper log mentioned a lot of: Non-retriable error encountered (C:\ProgramData\VMware): Cannot create a file when that file already exists in every subdirectory.

So things are narrowed down to some stupid Windows rights.
staley
Novice
Full Name: staley

[MERGED] Backups Failing After Removing Veeam Server From Domain

Post by staley »

Trying to get all our Veeam servers off our AD Domain. Backups fail with the following error after removal

Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: All backup proxies are offline or outdated

Tried recreating the proxy, same results.

Anyone else have a working Veeam server on an AD domain, then successfully remove it?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please review the existing thread to resolve the issue. If nothing helps, please contact our support team directly as instructed by our forum rules.
hardwareman
Lurker
Full Name: Chris Coleman

Post by hardwareman »

I ran into this issue after upgrading Veeam B&R from 9.5.0.711 to 9.5.4.2866. The issue was that an update needed to be pushed to the VMWare vCenter server from the Veeam server. This was accomplish this from the Veeam console, going to the Backup Infrastructure area, then from the top left menu choosing Upgrade. That then allows the upgrade to be pushed to the vCenter server. After that the "All backup proxies are offline or outdated" did not reoccur and backups ran normally again.