Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
check4backup
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: check4backup

Recovery Media does not start!

Post by check4backup »

Hello,
I wanted to test the recovery of a Windows Server 2012 R2. However when I boot to the recovery environment, I only see an empty command promt window. The Veeam Endpoint software does not start in recovery mode. The Server is an Lenovo x3650M5, SecureBoot not enabled. I can see the volumes (Raid with LSI MR5210). On another PC (notebook) the environment starts from the same Stick without problems. Can I use the new version (Veeam Agent for Windows) in a productive environment?

Same issue without resolution: veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/recovery-me ... 37516.html

Veeam Endpoint 1.5.0.306

Regards.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Recovery Media does not start!

Post by nielsengelen »

The Veeam Agent for Windows is still in beta so you shouldn't use that in production. In regards to your issue, did you create the recovery media on the server itself or are you using another stick/version?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
check4backup
Enthusiast

Post by check4backup »

Yes, i create the recovery media on the server (ISO). But i copy the ISO to an USB Stick on another pc. I have tried with different USB sticks. I have an command prompt, i can see the volumes (Raid), but i have no graphical user interface.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

But i copy the ISO to an USB Stick on another pc.
Try to create a bootable USB instead of an iso. In recovery media creation wizard choose USB as a target and our tool will do the rest.
check4backup
Enthusiast

Post by check4backup »

After an update from the IMM, UEFI and create a bootable USB directly (without ISO), the recovery environment starts. The start from the graphical interface takes almost 3 minutes, but it works.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Great! Thanks for sharing.
The start from the graphical interface takes almost 3 minutes, but it works.
This might be related to BIOS settings. Check if you have a legacy boot option and enable it instead of BIOS/UEFI.