Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rstone
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rob Stone

Exchange 2013

Post by rstone »

Hello, we have a new exchange 2013 server and it will backup the first time its OK but any time after this we get the following error and the drive with the logs never reduces :-

23/10/2017 23:48:35 :: VSS: Unable to truncate transaction logs: Microsoft Exchange VSS Writer is not in stable state.

Using the command vssadmin list writers on the exchange server shows it to be in a stable state with no errors.

Any clues for me to look at?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Exchange 2013

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Rob,

I'd recommend you to contact the support team and let them take a closer look at the logs, as it helps to realize the real cause of the issue.
You can try to check errors in the application log, so this KB1832 will help you to find the location.
Also, you should share the case ID here or your thread will be deleted according to the forum's rules. Thanks!
rstone
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rob Stone

Post by rstone » 1 person likes this post

Fixed it. Weirdly it worked once (although its didn't remove many logs) with a domain admin account then failed the following night. So I changed the OS credentials to the local admin account of the exchange server and bingo I now have 241 gig free.

Not sure why a Domain Account which has full rights to the server didn't work but at the moment I don't care! :D
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Thank you for coming back and sharing the information on the resolution of the issue, that's can be useful for future readers.
I am glad you've resolved the issue!