Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
shannyla
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Shannon

[MERGED] VEB backups failing: Data error

Post by shannyla »

Trialling VEB as a potential and logical add-on to our Veeam infrastructure, but have run into an issue on my trial machine.

Error I'm getting is:

Code: Select all

08/03/2016 12:50:25 :: Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy4]. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy4]. Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [150591]. Failed to download disk.  
Ayone any thoughts?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error: The device is not ready. Failed to read data

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Doug,

Is that failing while backing up the OEM or recovery partition?
MHammett
Novice
Full Name: Mike Hammett

Post by MHammett »

Any recommendations on rebuilding this partition from scratch?
Geniek.73
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dariusz Tyka

Post by Geniek.73 » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I came across similar issue few days ago. Next scheduled incremental backup failed with error below:

Code: Select all

11/14/2017 8:16:40 AM :: Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: 
The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [0]. Failed to download disk.  
I was able to get it working by excluding recovery partition. I'v opened ticket with Veeam support (its AfW free version, case # 02382242) but it was not very helpfull. Recovery parition is helathy as I can boot computer from it. It is 300MB in size and disk management reports 100% usage but I think it's because it can't be accessed. Anyone faced this issue and can share how to get it solved?

Dariusz
Geniek.73
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dariusz Tyka

Post by Geniek.73 »

No one faced such issue? Is recovery partition necessary to do a bare metal recovery? Or UEFI and system partitions are enough? If yes - then I can live without necessity to backup recovery partition.

Dariusz
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Post by Anguel »

Hi Dariusz,

I think I solved this annoying problem. My SSD partitioning was as follows:
1. Old 300 MB recovery partition
2. 99 MB EFI system partition
3. 850 GB C: drive
4. Second 505 MB recovery partition - created during some Windows 10 Upgrade due to lack of space in the old recovery partition
5. 100 GB space for SSD overprovisioning

So one day ago Veeam Agent backups started failing and the GUI backup log showed:
Bla bla -> Creating VSS snapshot -> Calculating digests -> Finalizing -> Error (same as in your case)
I googled a lot but did not find an answer. First I thought that it had something to do with VAW 2.1 update, then with VAW licensing confusion, etc. Then I experimented and found out that the second recovery partition was causing the backup to fail. Then I used Paragon partition manager and saw that this partition had only 48 MB free! BTW, Windows always tells you that recovery partitions have 100% free - yes, the masterminds at Microsoft.
Assigning a drive letter X: to the partition with Paragon and rerunning the Veeam backup now even pointed me to the problem by accident as it had added a line to the log - actually I saw it after having found the solution:
Volume (X:) does not have enough free disk space to create VSS snapshot
right before the "Creating VSS snapshot" step. Well done Veeam :-) Just wonder why this error does not show without having to "hack" the recovery partition to display a drive letter? And why does the log still show "Creating VSS snapshot" when it already knows that there is no space....

So now it was clear that I had to expand the second recovery partition to make things work. For some unknown reason Paragon does not let me do this for the recovery partitions but then fortunately MiniTool Partition Wizard did the job. I expanded to 800 MB and now everything is working fine again. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of time with this stupid problem...

Anguel
Pvillegeek
Lurker
Full Name: Dan Olson

Post by Pvillegeek »

I had this exact same problem. For me the problem appears to be that it didn't know what to do with a partition type ID of 0x27, when I changed it to 0x07 everything worked fine.
Lukasz111
Novice
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Error - cannot create or access backups [06416289]

Post by Lukasz111 »

I have the following problem.
I cannot either create backup or access backup files.
I am using USB storage. The disk works properly. It is on the VM Agent's side.

“Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk Agent failed to pr
Process finished with errors at [date]”

The problem is very serious. I have been considering licensed version.
But now I think I will go do a different provider.