Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Anyone running Simplivity and Veeam?

Post by csinetops »

We're moving into the Hyper-converged space, just signed on two, two node Simplivity clusters.

Right now we use traditional architecture, servers connected to SAN over Fiber Channel. Veeam is all virtual, hot add VIA appliance mode. Works great.

Simplivity is a whole new animal to us being NFS only. It looks like I'll want to setup my Simplivity nodes management network on the 10GB NIC's and use NBD mode in Veeam to backup the VM's on NFS. Does that sound correct?

Anyone else running Simplivity and Veeam, I'd like to know your setup and how it's working out. I thought about using direct NFS but the Simplivity rep recommended against that as they wrote their own NFS stack, I guess it's not standard.

Thanks in advance!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Anyone running Simplivity and Veeam?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi,
yes, this is a correct statement. Simplivity do not support anything elese in their NFS backend. So you need to backup in NBD mode or use special HotAdd mode with Reg Key to avoid VM stuns at disk unmount (general NFS + hotadd problem).
More details: https://bp.veeam.expert/resource_planni ... _mode.html

In general a lot of customers use Veeam to backup Simplivity. Please check also:
veeam-backup-replication-f2/veeam-backu ... ml#p197542
dcampregher
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Diogo Campregher

Post by dcampregher »

Hi,
We have notice that when we use the Veeam Replication Job to migrate the VM from the other legacy VMware vSphere environment to the Simplivity cluster, the deduplication ratio is very low if compared to use the VMware converter.

There is anything abou the use the VBR to replicate the VM to the Simplivity ?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Just guessing here...
Maybe it is Thick disk vs Thin disk at Veeam. With Thick disk the dedup ratio is higher, but at the end after deduplication it should consume same stirage space.
balocco
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fabio Bozzolo

Post by balocco »

Andreas Neufert wrote:Hi,
yes, this is a correct statement. Simplivity do not support anything elese in their NFS backend. So you need to backup in NBD mode or use special HotAdd mode with Reg Key to avoid VM stuns at disk unmount (general NFS + hotadd problem).
More details: https://bp.veeam.expert/resource_planni ... _mode.html

In general a lot of customers use Veeam to backup Simplivity. Please check also:
veeam-backup-replication-f2/veeam-backu ... ml#p197542
Hi, we are going to start using HPE Simplivity, as we've just bought it. So you mean that Direct NFS Access Mode won't be possible?
Thank you.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

It is not a question if it is possible or not. Simplivity do not support this, as they did a lot of data flow optimizations and the system do not react like a normal VMware NFS backend.
See above for implementation suggestions.
balocco
Influencer
Full Name: Fabio Bozzolo

Post by balocco »

Ok got it, thanks Andreas
hvelez
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Hugo Alberto Velez

Post by hvelez »

Hi, can anyone tell me what is the license method to choose in a simplivity platform ?? the amount of socket or amount of VMs ?? thanks a lot. Hugo
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Just to confirm - are you talking about Simplivity licensing or Veeam one? I'm wondering because VB&R licensing doesn't matter here - should work fine with both socket-based and instance-based licenses. Thanks!
mwant
Enthusiast
Full Name: m want

Post by mwant »

dcampregher wrote: Jan 17, 2018 1:07 am Hi,
We have notice that when we use the Veeam Replication Job to migrate the VM from the other legacy VMware vSphere environment to the Simplivity cluster, the deduplication ratio is very low if compared to use the VMware converter.

There is anything abou the use the VBR to replicate the VM to the Simplivity ?
I notice this was never answered, I have got the same issue that I am creating replicas on a Simplivity host using Veeam but Simplivity can't see the replicas and thus can't dedup at all. I can't work out if there is something that Veeam does that causes the problem or if i am doing something wrong in the creation of the replicas?
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

Post by JHuston »

Interesting, I didn't run into this issue during my migration. I'm getting a 17:1 on one of my clusters and a 24:1 on my other. 90% of my VM's use thin disks and were migrated from legacy stack to Simplivity.
mwant
Enthusiast
Full Name: m want

Post by mwant »

I have found that it is an issue with my Simplivity, my OVC can't communicate with the vcenter server so it's nothing to do with any difference with replicas.