vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Re: Change Repository Without Copying Files

Post by marius roma »

I apologize for being so late in updating.
Given I am using Standard Veeam B&R, how can I change the target repository withour recreating manually the job?
Regards
Marius
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Please review the beginning of the topic for the possible solution. You may also contact Veeam technical support for assistance.
Thanks!
marius roma
Veteran

[MERGED] Moving backup jobs to a new repository

Post by marius roma »

I just added a new repository to a B&R 9 infrastructure.
I need to redirect existing jobs to the new repository without re-creating them or manually move the files.
I will wait for the required number to recovery points to be created and I'll delete the files from the current repository.
I read old posts related to a registry key to set to redirect existing jobs.
Is the solution still valid?
Is there any possible problem to consider?
Regards
marius
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You can do this by simply removing existing backups from backups and then re-pointing the jobs to the new repo.
marius roma
Veteran

Post by marius roma »

Thank you for the quick answer.
Do you mean deleting files from the current repository?
I cannot do that, because I must keep a given number of recovery points.
Do you mean anything else?
I currently use Standard B&R version.
Regards
marius
foggy
Veeam Software

I mean the "Remove from configuration" command that doesn't remove actual files from disk, but cleans up their records in the database.
pcrebe
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Post by pcrebe »

Hi,
also the backup copy job joined will continue or must be changed?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If backup job is using repository as a source, you need to reconfigure it by pointing to a new source.
jrp76
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Pletcher

[MERGED] Backup Copy Jobs move to new storage

Post by jrp76 »

Our cloud backup provider is having issues with the cloud storage we've been using for our backup copies. They gave us a new storage repository to migrate to. I asked them if they can copy our current backup copy files over to the new storage so I can just point to new repository in the backup copy job, but they can't. They said we need to re-seed our backup copies.

When I go into a backup copy job and just change the repository to the new one, it sees the backup files it expects to be there are gone and tells me to copy them over first. I can't do this as stated above. Is there a way for me to use my existing jobs and use the new, empty repository? Or do I have to re-create all my backup copy jobs?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Backup Copy Jobs move to new storage

Post by Gostev »

Yes, I am afraid you have to recreate them, unless I am missing some workaround...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy Jobs move to new storage

Post by veremin »

So, previous backup files are basically gone? If so, you can delete them from disk, using corresponding UI option. This should make backup copy job forget about those obsolete entities and you will be able to point it to a new repository. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

In case you want to keep existing backups registered in the UI, use the "Remove from backups" command. Please see above for similar discussions.

EDIT: This option is not available for the cloud repository though. So please follow the advise proposed by Vladimir.
jrp76
Novice

Post by jrp76 »

Let me explain better.

We have cloud storage repository A that we have been using for a year or two. It has all our backup copies on it. Our cloud provider is having issues with the storage that our repository A is on, so they gave us a second repository B to start using instead. We currently have access to both. Repository A has all the files and we can access them. Repository B is currently empty.

I am able to copy the job folders with all the backup copy files from repository A to repository B rather easily by using the VEEAM UI and the "Files" area. Just copy from repository A and paste in repository B. When I do this and rescan the new repository B, I can see the folder and files there. Then I got into my backup copy job, and select the repository B, which it queries and can see. Then I go to remap the backup and point to the folder/files that are now on repository B, but when in the remap area it shows the repository empty.

It seems like if I can copy the backup copy files from the old repository to the new one, I should just be able to remap?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Here's a more detailed instruction on moving between repositories. If you're doing everything correctly, then the next step is to contact support.
jrp76
Novice

Post by jrp76 »

Is this article the same method if our SP is on VEEAM 9.5 and we are the tenant on VEEAM 9.0?

So the SP has to move the files even though I can access both repositories and I can copy and paste the files between the two repositories? (the old and new repositories)
jrp76
Novice

Post by jrp76 »

To add to my last comment, for the article explaining how to do this it requires both the SP and tenant to do parts. I can do the part of the SP as I can copy and paste the files from the old repository to the new one. But when I then scan the service provider, and scan the new repository, it looks like it finds the folders/files I copy over, but it "skips" them rather than bringing them in where I can then map to them. They are encrypted. The article that pertains to 9.5 mentions that if you have encrypted backup copies they will show up in a different node called "cloud encrypted". Was this something new in 9.5? Or why does rescanning the new repository skip over the folder/files that I've copied over? It definitely sees them as it states it skipped 5 of them.
sfakhry
Lurker
Full Name: Sami Fakhry

Post by sfakhry »

Hello,

I am using Veeam B&R 9.5 and the simplest way to change the repository that I found is this :
1 -Under backup/Disk select the job using the repository and click on remove from configuration
2- change the target storage repository
3- run import backup on the old repository

Hope this will help.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Jon, you can copy files yourself, indeed. This was just a more general procedure. Version difference shouldn't cause any issues, as far as I know. Once again, I encourage you to contact support for a more effective troubleshooting.
jrp76
Novice

Post by jrp76 »

I think I got it figured out. My backup files are encrypted, and in the article it stated that after rescanning the repository the encrypted backup files would show up under "Cloud - encrypted" and I'd need to enter the encryption key. In v9 there is no "Cloud - encrypted", just "Cloud". But my backups that I was trying to move were in fact under "Disk - Encrypted". There I could specify the key and then they'd show up under "Cloud" where I needed them to be, and then I could select them to remap to in the BC job.

What does it mean to "remove from configuration"? Do I need to do that as I move my back files and repoint to the new repository? I've seen this term used a lot in this thread.
foggy
Veeam Software

jrp76 wrote:What does it mean to "remove from configuration"? Do I need to do that as I move my back files and repoint to the new repository? I've seen this term used a lot in this thread.
Removing backups from configuration (using the corresponding command on the backup's shortcut menu) is required if you're going to repoint the job to another repository without copying files (for example, if backups are lost).
jrp76
Novice

Post by jrp76 »

Thank you. In this case I am moving the files so it isn't necessary then. I guess the only thing that tripped me up was not seeing the "Cloud (Encrypted)" option in the V9 interface. The encrypted cloud backups were under "Disk (Encrypted)" area. Then I just had to right click on the jobs there and enter the encryption password/key, and they then showed up properly under the "Cloud" area. Thank you for your responses and I hope this helps others.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I assume the UI has changed a bit since v9. Here's the same instruction for previous version.
mpohl
Lurker
Full Name: Michael Pohl

[MERGED] Backup repository no longer available

Post by mpohl »

We had a NAS fail and are trying to redirect our backup jobs. However, the wizard is asking me to manually copy the backup files from the old target to the new one. Since the NAS is dead I don't have access to those files any longer. What can I do to redirect the jobs? Just delete them and build new ones?
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: Backup repository no longer available

Post by foggy »

Hi Michael, you need to use the 'Remove from backups' command first, please see this tread for details. Thanks!
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: -

Post by 33minutesinheaven »

has "Remove from backup" been changed to "remove from configuration"

because one post says "Backup & Replication > Backups > Disk > right click on the job then "Remove from backup"" but I only see "remove from configuration"

Problem is that i cant copy the old backup files to the new location because they are 15TB and it is going to take 20-40 hours to copy that.... So i need to start from scratch.
As i understand this method, it appears that it will just start making new fulls, and i am still able to go back for the next week to an older backup because i am not deleting the files from the old target. I was even thinking about staging it and only doing one job per day.

do i have that correct, and only the menu item has changed names?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, most likely it was just a change in the option name in UI at some moment.
GregorD
Enthusiast
Full Name: Gregor Duzic

[MERGED] how to change backup repository without copy old backup fi

Post by GregorD »

i use veeam v10 i have 10 job now i buy a new nas add the nas as backup repository. i will only change the storage on all my jobs to new nas. but when i change the storage to new nas i get error msg i should copy the backup files to new nas.
but i dont want to do this. backup job should make a new full on new nas make a new chain. is this possible?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: how to change backup repository without copy old backup fi

Post by Gostev »

You should use "map backup" functionality in the backup job wizard.
GregorD
Enthusiast
Full Name: Gregor Duzic

Re: how to change backup repository without copy old backup fi

Post by GregorD »

i dont want to copy any files. i want to change on existing job the backup repository and backup should start from scratch.

i wil open a case tomorrow.