Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Jneau
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Execute Veeam Agent backup with command line

Post by Jneau »

Hello Veeam Forum,

One of my clients wants to run his veeam agent backups of his workstations from a command because the programming can not be used.

When I run a Veeam Agent job through an administrator-managed cli script, I get the following message "Backup job settings not being configured, because they are managed by your system administrator"

Command executed via script on the machine: "" C: \ Program Files \ Veeam \ Endpoint Backup \ Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe "/ backup" <ID> "".

In addition, are there any conditions for executing the Veeam agent backups, the IP address of the gateway or others.

Thanx for your reply,

Context : Veeam Agent installed and managed by VBR Server
Version Agent : 3.0.2.1170
Version Server VBR : 9.5.4.2866
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Execute Veeam Agent backup with command line

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Jneau,

It happens because you are using Veeam Agent managed by VBR server.
Cli commands won't work in this case unless the agent is standalone.
Try executing powershell code below from VBR powershell console:

Code: Select all

get-vbrjob -name 'JobName' | where {$_.JobType -eq 'EPAgentPolicy'} | start-vbrjob 
Check this thread for the reference.

Thanks,
Oleg
Jneau
Enthusiast

Post by Jneau »

Hi,

So I go back and I will deploy the autonomous agents on the posts. It's a shame because my client wanted to manage everything from Veeam Enterprise Manager.

In the evolutions of the Veeam Agent, it is not planned to improve the planning with conditions of execution of the job for example when I am on a specific gateway instead of having only a notion of time and day?

Thank you for your reply,

Have a good day,

Julien,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,
Jneau wrote:So I go back and I will deploy the autonomous agents on the posts. It's a shame because my client wanted to manage everything from Veeam Enterprise Manager.
If you want a web-based management UI for Veeam Agents, then you can take a look at Veeam Availability Console that was built for service providers but can be used regular customers as well (when meeting certain requirements). Or as an alternative, you can become a Veeam service provider (maybe you're already a provider since you're referring to your clients).
Jneau wrote:In the evolutions of the Veeam Agent, it is not planned to improve the planning with conditions of execution of the job for example when I am on a specific gateway instead of having only a notion of time and day?
Can you clarify the piece about gateways? Do you want backup traffic to go through a specific NIC?

Thanks!
Jneau
Enthusiast

Post by Jneau »

Hi,

Veeam Agent is deployed on laptops, users are itinerant. And my client wants backups to run only when laptops are on the seat.

Clearly, at the start of the workstation, when the veeam agent detects a gateway internet ip address for example 192.168.2.254 then it performs its backup, if not, the backup is not executed.

I will not have the choice to modify my agents in standalone and unmanaged by a VBR, and to create a script for execution of the backup with a condition of the Internet gateway.

Can VAC Manage Standalone Veeam Agents? not managed by a VBR?

Best regards,

Julien,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jneau wrote:Clearly, at the start of the workstation, when the veeam agent detects a gateway internet ip address for example 192.168.2.254 then it performs its backup, if not, the backup is not executed.
Maybe you can work around this by using one of these options: back up when a backup repository is available (for example only at the local network) or even limit backup traffic to specific Wifi networks.
Jneau wrote:Can VAC Manage Standalone Veeam Agents? not managed by a VBR?
Yes, it can deploy, update these agents as well as push backup policies and manage backup jobs remotely.
Jneau
Enthusiast

Post by Jneau »

Hi,

The "back up when a backup repository is available" option is used and functional and I do not need to use PShell commands. So I do not need a VAC. My agents are properly managed by the Veeam server.
The programming options troubled me from the start.
After having tested several scenarios, from the wifi network no backup, to the connection of the post from a specific LAN subnet backup is running.
Successful!!
Thank you all and have a nice day,

Julien,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, glad that a solution with the backup repository presence did a trick for you!