Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

B&R attempts incremental instead of full tape job

Post by ejenner »

I don't know if I'm doing something incredibly stupid (it is a Monday morning) or if there's a bug here? Help set me straight :lol: . I'll log a ticket if this is a genuine issue.

For my setup in this scenario I always want to run full backups... never incremental.

I have a schedule set to perform a full backup to "pool 1" tapes

Instead of running a full to pool 1... Veeam B&R keeps trying to start an incremental job to pool 2 tapes. No schedule is set for incremental.

I'm willing to consider this may not be an issue and it's misconfigured... but I'm struggling to see what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's the job running:
n.b. you can stop the job and run it again from scratch and it will quickly return to this WaitingTape status

SEE (Incremental) in brackets next to the job name.

You can see it wants me to add a tape. That's because those tapes aren't in the library. The requested tape is in pool 2 and that's not currently loaded because I don't want to write to pool 2 tapes.

This is the main screen for tape jobs. I've blanked out the details of my setup as I don't want the details visible on the internet... but behind the blocked out target section is a target which is displayed like this: "Pool 1 [Pool 2]"

You can see here, my Full Backup screen has pool 1 selected and there is a tick in the checkbox to run the job automatically.

Incremental Backup screen shows Pool 2 is selected and the checkbox for running the job is un-checked.

So either I've missed something important or there is something unusual going on here... what's the consensus?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: B&R attempts incremental instead of full tape job

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
what kind of setup is that? No backup jobs and only imported backups? Only file-to-tape jobs instead of backup-to-tape jobs?

As you did not configure incremental runs, I cannot see why the software tries to do an incremental run. Support should be able to find out. Please post the case number for reference.

Best regards,
Hannes
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

It's purely a tape backup of Veeam repositories. I'll log a support call.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello EJ,

Thank you for the detailed explanation! Can you please post the case ID, I'll ask QA folks to double check the logs.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Case number is: 04219578

Support advised clone the job. So I did that and the job worked as expected. This means the settings were correct as nothing had to be changed for the job to run.

From here the next thing will be to check if the 2nd run of the job switches to incremental. When the current job finishes I can also check if the other jobs have the same problem.

I did cycle through the settings screens several times, clicking 'finish' at the end to set the configuration. So either this is a symptom of a problem which comes during the upgrade to v10 or it is a new 'feature' in v10 which may or may not persist when we try to run the job a second time.

Will have to wait for the answer as the job takes a day or two to complete.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

EJ,

Thanks for the details. Shared with RnD folks!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

The cloned job now only wants to run an incremental. It ran full immediately after it was cloned, but on the second pass it wants to run as incremental, same as the old job it was cloned from.

Another job automatically started on a schedule and exhibits exact same behaviour. i.e. it ran a full... then on second pass it wants to change to an incremental backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

EJ,

To clarify: incremental run is performed only when you are triggering the job manually? Cheers!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Either. When I first noticed the issue it was when automatically scheduled jobs stopped working.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

EJ,

Discussed your case with QA folks. For manual start backup is triggered as incremental (unless you click active full backup option), this one is considered to be expected behavior. For scheduled start incremental backup should not be performed if the option is disabled in the wizard. For the second issue please keep working with the support team and let us know how the investigation goes. Cheers!