Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

check if Hyper-V host is accessible and has up to date version of Veeam integration components installed

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

We've added a node to one of our Hyper-V 2012 clusters.

Each node has to have a connection with our HP 3PAR SAN on the fiber network and the HP VSS drivers loaded. I've done that for the new node but for some reason any VMs we try to backup from that node terminate with the following error.

"Failed to determine VM generation for Hyper-V host HYPER-V CLUSTER NODE NAME: check if Hyper-V host is accessible and has up to date version of Veeam integration components installed."

I've performed rescans and scrolled through the config screens for this node and it still won't allow backup of the VMs. I actually have the Windows Agent Backup installed on this node and can backup the machine itself. It has the same Veeam Integration components installed as the other nodes.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: check if Hyper-V host is accessible and has up to date version of Veeam integration components installed

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Could you please share the support case ID with us? All posts about technical issues without case ID will be eventually removed by moderator.

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran

Re: check if Hyper-V host is accessible and has up to date version of Veeam integration components installed

Post by ejenner »

yes, I can see the moniker for the forum has changed to "Veeam R&D Forums" which is a real shame.

I have always regarded the forum as an unofficial place to get a quick answer about a problem and it has been very good for that historically.

I've never thought this place was official technical support and never treated it that way.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

EJ, the forum name was changed to avoid confusion due to the launch of a non-technical https://community.veeam.com/

The new name does not mean there were any changes whatsoever to the purpose and the spirit of this forum (and no such changes are planned).

Petr refers to the existing forum rules displayed when you click New Topic. These rules were established 12 years ago, have never changed since then, and have always been strictly enforced to make this community thrive. Your previous posts might not have violated them, but the above one clearly does. Please review the rules carefully including the reasoning, and I hope you will understand why they are in place.

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Gostev, do you think I should continue to ask technical questions here?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Definitely - no changes here. Just don't forget to provide a case ID if you're posting about a technical issue.
Batman
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Batman »

Hi Everyone,
i encounting this message error since few days
Error: Failed to determine VM generation for Hyper-V host SERVER-HYPERV: check if Hyper-V host is accessible and has up to date version of Veeam integration components installed.

Thanks,for your help.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi @Batman,

Please open a Support case and share its ID with us, it's required for all technical issues.
Opening the case will help Support team to work with your logs and sharing case ID helps to monitor the issue.

Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi...Bruce?

This error can be caused by variety of reasons, starting from simple DNS failure to retrieve correct IP\Name pair, SCVMM upgrade to an unsupported version for your VBR installation, cluster nodes evict\add with similar names, failed VBR components update after server was bumped to a new version etc etc etc.

General rule of Veeam R&D forums(as you can see above in the this thread as well) is to provide a Support Case ID straight away when facing an issue, because without logs we will have to guess.

Anyhow, try going through host\cluster wizard under Backup Infrastructure clicking next-next-next-finish to make sure Veeam components are up to date on said host and we have stable connection there.

/Thanks