Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MAA
Expert
Liked: 3 times

vSphere 7.0 U2 Support

Post by MAA » 1 person likes this post

Is version 7.0U2 supported?

[TL;DR] Supported starting from build 11.0.0.837 P20210507

Caveats:
1. No CDP support yet due to the issue on VMware side. [UPDATE] CDP is supported starting from build 11.0.0.837 P20210525
2. NBD/NBDSSL transport in 7.0U2 is slower (the issue is on VMware side).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: vSphere 7.0 U2 Support

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

Is version 7.0U2 released?
MAA
Expert

Post by MAA »

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2021/0 ... lease.html

"We are excited to share that today VMware is releasing vSphere 7 Update 2."
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 4 people like this post

Sounds good, we will download once the bits are published, and perform the full regression testing.
jtwaddle
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jessie Twaddle

Post by jtwaddle »

Great! Thanks!
MSc
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Martin Schenker

Post by MSc »

Just got the first warning after upgrading the VCSA to 7.0U2 last night:

"Your vCenter Server API version is higher than the version this product build has been tested against, which may cause issues with some functionality. Please refer to Veeam KB2443 for vSphere version support information. This warning will not be logged again."

Okay... will wait for the Veeam sign-off before moving to the server side of things...
andrie
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andy

Post by andrie » 1 person likes this post

Apart from missing support from Veeam, there are already a few VMware issues when updating to 7.0 U2. I would expect a few patches coming soon to fix those problems.
ESX Hosts: https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comment ... oken_boot/
vCenter: https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2021/03 ... phase.html
svenh
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Sven Hartge

Post by svenh »

The ESX upgrade issue seems to come from using a patch baseline instead of an upgrade baseline using the ISO: https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2021/03 ... 4-efi.html
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

MSc wrote: Mar 10, 2021 9:17 am Just got the first warning after upgrading the VCSA to 7.0U2 last night:

"Your vCenter Server API version is higher than the version this product build has been tested against, which may cause issues with some functionality. Please refer to Veeam KB2443 for vSphere version support information. This warning will not be logged again."

Okay... will wait for the Veeam sign-off before moving to the server side of things...
just curious.
when it says "Your vCenter Server API version is higher than the version this product build has been tested against" and even its backup. means the backup are clean or not to be trusted?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 4 people like this post

It means that the backup job has met an alien it never saw before, so the results of this encounter are totally unpredictable. And in our experience so far, hugs are rare.
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

Gostev wrote: Mar 10, 2021 11:34 pm And in our experience so far, hugs are rare.
Indeed Gostev, especially during the pandemic :-(

What if we upgrade just VC - things like CBT in done on the ESX host correct? We have some bugs in VC 7U1 which we still have no solution for...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Tracking is done by ESXi host I/O stack, but access to the data is through the vSphere API on vCenter. I would not advise upgrading vCenter Server in light of changed API version prior to official support from Veeam. vSphere updates have long stopped to be just bug fix builds, VMware treats them as proper release vehicles and feels it can make significant changes in them (like adding new API version). So you should treat them accordingly too, which means upgrading on a first day is a risky endeavor.
MSc
Enthusiast

Post by MSc »

Hmm, a rollback of the VCSA is not really what I was longing for... is there any planned timeframe for the 7.0U2 acceptance testing?! So far all backup were completed w/o any errors/warnings.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Veeams Policy is to support new versions in 90 days after GA Release. For vsphere 7.0 U2, this means:
Release date this week + 90 days.
It can take until june 2021 for official support by veeam.

Don‘t patch a software without checking compatiblity first with other products in your enviroment.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
MAA
Expert

Post by MAA »

Why you can not negotiate with the VMware on the early access to the pre-release software?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

We do have the early access to pre-release vSphere builds and are testing them. However, historically speaking, significant changes in GA builds comparing to RC builds were not uncommon. Which is why our policy is to perform the full regression cycle on the GA build before declaring official support.
MSc wrote: Mar 11, 2021 10:18 amis there any planned timeframe for the 7.0U2 acceptance testing?!
Full regression testing cycle takes about 2 weeks, based on its results we can determine a time frame for the official support (depending on the amount of code changes required on our side).

90 days after GA to support new platform versions is our target as opposed to a policy, since it does not depend solely on Veeam. For example, official vSphere 6.5 U2 support was declared only half a year after its GA because of the API reliability bug on VMware side (we only started to officially support 6.5 U2 from the patch level ESXi650-201811002).
MSc
Enthusiast

Post by MSc » 1 person likes this post

Thanks! For years I've been fighting for NOT updating stuff ad hoc... this time I ran straight into that mine... mental lapse. Oh well... I expected minor bug fixes from VMware w. U2, not something which can potentially break the backup system. Bummer. Again, lesson re-learned. Check and double-check... not just do!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Well, the good news is that we did not see any issues with the last RC build of 7.0 U2.

However, that build is from 1.5 months ago, so there was a significant gap before GA when many changes could have been made. In fact, this particular vSphere release is a bit more "dangerous" than usual in that sense, because there was what looked like some major last-minute issue in the code that caused the RTM build to slip significantly. And from my own experience at Veeam, I know how risky those last minute fixes of major issues could be.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote: Mar 10, 2021 11:34 pm It means that the backup job has met an alien it never saw before, so the results of this encounter are totally unpredictable. And in our experience so far, hugs are rare.
mkretzer wrote: Mar 11, 2021 9:11 am Indeed Gostev, especially during the pandemic :-(
That's true...virtual hugs to everyone :D

From my experience, I wouldn't rush to install new VMware updates; especially major releases.
And it doesn't hurt to wait a few weeks or for Veeam QC to give an OK. (in case of feature releases, not super critical security fixes)
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

Gostev wrote: Mar 10, 2021 11:34 pm It means that the backup job has met an alien it never saw before, so the results of this encounter are totally unpredictable. And in our experience so far, hugs are rare.
Thank you for your answer. ive got the alien part. if the ESXI are updated and vCenter not.
the backups are configured to use the vCenter would this impact the alien backup :D
MSc
Enthusiast

Post by MSc » 1 person likes this post

First stage is always the VCSA update... you can't admin higher version ESXi with a lower version VCSA, AFAIK....
STGdb
Enthusiast
Full Name: SOSidb

Post by STGdb »

I received the same error from the API, but the backups seem to still be working (only upgraded the VCSA for one of our vSphere clusters, not the hosts). Leaving the other clusters alone for now :D

Wanted to take a look at the new Native Key Provider (NKP) for vTPM implementation versus using 3rd party (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphe ... 9DF97.html).

Curious to see if VEEAM will end up supporting backups of the new NKP feature. The new NKV requires a backup before it will work and throws an alarm every 24 hours if a backup hasn't been completed in the past 24 hours (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphe ... A039D.html).

Cheers!!
Stupots
Enthusiast
Full Name: Stuart

Post by Stupots » 1 person likes this post

A few issues with 7.0 U2

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/83063

"As of March 12th, VMware has removed the ESXi 7.0 U2 offline depot from all sites as a result of this failure, For more information, please see KB 83107
VMware is currently working on building a new Patch to resolve this issue.
As a result VMware recommends to NOT upgrade to 7.0 U2 until this patch is available."
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Looks like the online depot has also been removed.
TeamInd
Influencer
Full Name: Chris Rendall

Post by TeamInd »

Is support for vCenter 7.0 U2 going to be added to B&R 10? I can't upgrade to B&R 11 until my cloud provider for backup copy jobs upgrades to version 11 and I'm not sure when that will be.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

I don't think so; v10 is now in the End of Fix phase, which means it won't receive any updates/hotfixes/patches anymore.
https://www.veeam.com/kb1530
tjurgens
Service Provider
Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tjurgens » 1 person likes this post

MSc wrote: Mar 11, 2021 8:26 pm First stage is always the VCSA update... you can't admin higher version ESXi with a lower version VCSA, AFAIK....
Well, sometimes you can, but its against VMware best practices and it usually ends up a bad idea.

The usual steps are:
1) VMware Products (vROPS, NSX, etc)
1a) Additional vendor products such as Veeam
2) VCSA
3) ESXi Hosts

Checking the interoperability matrix before of course.
jsprinkleisg
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: James Sprinkle

Post by jsprinkleisg »

MSc wrote: Mar 11, 2021 12:52 pm Thanks! For years I've been fighting for NOT updating stuff ad hoc... this time I ran straight into that mine... mental lapse. Oh well... I expected minor bug fixes from VMware w. U2, not something which can potentially break the backup system. Bummer. Again, lesson re-learned. Check and double-check... not just do!
I'm sure that mental lapses like yours are even more likely right now, with the new feature of the blue bar at the top every time you log into the vSphere Client notifying you that a vCenter update is available! AFAIK there's currently no way to acknowledge or disable that notification.

MSc wrote: Mar 11, 2021 8:26 pm First stage is always the VCSA update... you can't admin higher version ESXi with a lower version VCSA, AFAIK....
In general, VMware does support vCenter managing newer ESXi build, as long as the major version is the same. E.g., vCenter 7.0GA can manage ESXi 7.0U1. However, even though the Interop Matrix says it's supported, I have (rarely) seen issues with this in the past. I would always recommend patching vCenter before patching the ESXi hosts.
george.jame
Enthusiast
Liked: never

[MERGED] vSphere 7.0 U2 Support

Post by george.jame »

Can support vSphere 7u2 with veeam Backup and Replication 10.0.1.4854 ?
Stupots
Enthusiast
Full Name: Stuart

Post by Stupots »

No George, Regnor answered this just a few posts above... Veeam BR 10 has reached End of Fix. https://www.veeam.com/kb1530