Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Endpoint Backup and Truecrypt

Post by Dima P. »

Borg,

Yes to both, if the container is mounted and unlocked (presented to the OS as a regular volume). Thanks!
Borg
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Borg Eternal Emperor

Post by Borg »

Thank you for clearing this up.
It is important in my case because such infrastructure will be the basis for a few dozen servers.
We will of course make tests before deployment, but I wanted to make sure there are no known issues.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Have not heard of any issues. Please do not forget to share the results of your test with the community. Cheers!
MAA
Expert

[MERGED] Failed to start backup job Error: Nothing to backup

Post by MAA »

Hello,
I have physical server with encrypted non-system drive, created via Volumes - Create New Volume - Encrypt a non-system partition/drive - Standard VeraCrypt Volume - Create encrypted volume and format it.
I try to backup this drive with modes "Volume level backup" or "File level backup"
but always get error:
"Failed to start backup job Error: Nothing to backup"
How to fix this issue?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

[MERGED] Re: Failed to start backup job Error: Nothing to backup

Post by wishr »

Hi MAA,

Unfortunately, It cannot be fixed - please take a look at the existing discussion.

Thanks
MAA
Expert

[MERGED] Issues Backing Up Veracrypt Drives

Post by MAA »

>>please take a look at the existing discussion.
I tried workaround recomended by Dima P., and create symlink
mklink /d c:\disk2 d:\
but this workaround also do not work:

Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].
Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].
Dima P.
Product Manager

[MERGED] Issues Backing Up Veracrypt Drives

Post by Dima P. »

MAA,

The workaround describes how to use VeraCrypt as a target for backup and not as a source.

In order to backup cryptocontainer you must backup the underlying physical volume via volume level backup mode (in such case cryptocontainer is processed as file and can be restore afterwards).
MikhailZ
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mikhail Zinovyev

Post by MikhailZ »

My situation with VeraCrypt:

I have a server with OS Windows Server 2012 R2, HDD with GUID partitioning (hidden recovery volume, hidden EFI volume, partition C: with OS, partition E: - for backup), and Veeam Agent Free v4.

Veeam Agent tuned for making a backup of disk C: to the disk E: and it working fine. All volumes has a NTFS filesystem, not encrypted.

But if I mount any encrypted volume or container with VeraCrypt on this server - Veeam Agent can't start backup job, and halted with error:

===
Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].
===

Why it happened? Backup job don't (mustn't) use any of encrypted (mounted) volumes. But it seems like a Veeam Agent trying to make a VSS for all volumes while job starting. And then VSS servise report an error for trying make a shadow copy for VeraCrypt mounted volume - Veeam Agent break a job with error. It's my opinion, not a fact.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mikhail,
it seems like a Veeam Agent trying to make a VSS for all volumes while job starting
Can you please check how VeraCrypt volume is presented to the system via disk manager? As a disk or as volume on the system disk?

For the VSS issues - that's a known limitation of VeraCrypt software:
The Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service is currently supported only for partitions within the key scope of system encryption (e.g. a system partition encrypted by VeraCrypt, or a non- system partition located on a system drive encrypted by VeraCrypt, mounted when the encrypted operating system is running). Note: For other types of volumes, the Volume Shadow Copy Service is not supported because the documentation for the necessary API is not available.
Can only suggest to unmount the container from OS and back it up as a file on existing volume.
MikhailZ
Novice

Post by MikhailZ »

I know about VeraCrypt VSS limitations.

But I use Veeam Agent for backup for unencrypted disk C: on my system (not for any encrypted volume), and backup fail if I mount any VC encrypted volume or file container. And backup working fine without mounted VC volumes/containers.

VC mounted volumes are not presented in the Disk Manager.
MikhailZ
Novice

Post by MikhailZ » 1 person likes this post

In my case solution is mount VC volumes/containers with flag Mount as Removable Media.

veeam-backup-replication-f2/truecrypt-a ... 23997.html
Rooby
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Klaus Fink

Post by Rooby »

Hi
any news on this issue? I also want to backup a VerCrypt drive which is accessable on win10 but not be recognized on Veeam Agent
not in "Volume level backup" nor "File level backup" mode. It is realy strange that not even one file on a visible mounted drive can be backuped.
I do not want to speculate but it looks like the is actively filtered. Since I want to use it for my private backups I look for a more trustful tool then.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Klaus,

Veeam Agent works only with 'live' volumes and does not support the emulated volumes of any kind. If you want to protect the emulated volume all you need to do is to backup the actual physical volume where the container file resides. Cheers!
Rooby
Novice
Full Name: Klaus Fink

Post by Rooby »

My encrypted drives are extremly live and working well :)
Backing up a physical drive as a whole ist senseless. Veeam seems to be still a kind of a beta tool for me :) since other much more simpler tools can access and backup my 'non-live' drives. Anyway I will use another tool but it is a pity that it took me some hours of installing/testing to recognize the Veeam cannot handle such a simple task.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Backing up a physical drive as a whole ist senseless.
You can backup the crypto container as a file via file level backup by selecting it's folder as a source for the backup. Cheers!
luehring
Lurker
Full Name: Frederick Luehring

[MERGED]Can VEEAM backup VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt Containers?

Post by luehring »

I am experimenting with VEEAM and it is refusing to backup VeraCrypt containers as small as 250 MB. I simply want the whole container backed up as a single file. Is it possible? I am not looking for instructions on how to configure VEEAM to do this. I simple want to know if it is possible for my provider to backup these encrypted containers. If it is I will let the provider follow up with a support case.

Thanks!
Fred
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Fred

Welcome to the forums.
See the last comments in this topic. Protecting the container file should be possible either as a volume level backup or file level backup.
If you see issues in the backup job, please ask your provider to open a case with our support.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
luehring
Lurker
Full Name: Frederick Luehring

Post by luehring »

Hi Fabian! Thanks greatly! I am sorry it took so long to reply. I had guessed it was possible but it was hard to convince my provider. Fred