Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
GChuck
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg

Veeam sleeps or reboots after login Window 11

Post by GChuck »

I've just upgraded my computer to Windows 11 (actually did a complete fresh install) and installed the Veeam Agent for Windows (free edition). Now I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon. I've set the backup to happen at 1:30 in the morning, backing up to a file share on my local server.

After finishing using my computer for the day, I put it to sleep. It then wakes up at 1:30 and does the backup. All is good so far. Next morning, I wake my computer to use it and sometimes during the sign-in process the computer just goes to sleep again before the sign-in is complete. Sometimes, the sign-in completes and the Veeam agent pops up telling me it is going to sleep and offers me a chance to cancel the operation. Lastly, sometimes the computer just does a complete reboot between the sign-in attempt and actually getting signed-in.

Has anybody else experienced this?

This does not happen if the same computer is running Windows 10 instead of Windows 11.

Thank you.

Greg
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam sleeps or reboots after login Window 11

Post by Mildur »

Hello Greg

May I ask, which windows version have you installed?
Windows 11 22H2 it‘s not supported yet and unexpected behavior is possible. In that case please wait for the official support from veeam.

If you use a supported version, please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic. Technical issues always requires a support case before posting them to the forums.
Without case number, the topic will eventually be deleted by moderators.

Best regards,
Fabian

PS: support can only help if you upload logs https://www.veeam.com/kb1832
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
GChuck
Novice

Post by GChuck »

Fabian, thanks for the reply.

First, I am using the Free version of Veeam for Windows. I realize that the Free version is not supported other than through the user forums. That is why I posted my question there.

I am using Veeam on a Windows 11 21H2 Build 22000.1098 system. The computer is a home built ASUS Z690 Core i7-12700, 32GB memory, 1 NVMe 500GB system drive and 1 NVMe 1TB data drive. I use Veeam to do a Volume level backup of just the system drive nightly to a home built file server running TrueNAS.

Further to my original post, I have uninstalled and then re-installed the Veeam Agent for Windows 5.0.3.4708 to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't! However, this morning when logging in I did notice that a number of pop-ups flashed by quickly, and then an option from the Veeam Agent telling me that the computer was going to sleep and asking whether I wished to Cancel or Continue. I pressed the Cancel button to prevent the machine from sleeping.

The Veeam Agent had awakened the computer to run the scheduled backup a 1:30am and after the backup had been completed (successfully), the computer had then been put back to sleep!

I downloaded the script from your website to collect the logs produced by the Veeam Free Agent for Windows, then ran the script and can upload the file if you need it. Again, I do realize that this version of Veeam is not supported, but any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Greg
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

The good news is, your Windows 11 21H2 is supported by your veeam agent build.
I suggest checking windows event logs if there is any issue with putting the computer in sleep mode after the backup. Probably it never gone to sleep mode and you see the agent message im the morning, still trying to get to sleep mode.

The bad news, we can‘t analyze logs and technical issues over the forum. As stated in our forum rules, you also have to open a case for any technical issues in our free products. Free and community edition gets support on best effort. If our support team has available free resources, they take a look at the free cases as well.
veeam-backup-replication-f2/rules-of-po ... -t755.html

The free agent can create a support case right within the product:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50

Thanks
Fabian
GChuck
Novice

Post by GChuck »

Fabian, again thanks for the response.

I have reported the issue and now have a support case number for you. It is 05689197. I realize that this is a "best effort" case so do what you think is best. I have looked at both the event logs and the Veeam logs, but nothing stands out that I would recognize.

I appreciate your help.

Greg Wright
GChuck
Novice

Post by GChuck »

Fabian, I have used the Veeam Bare Metal Restore function to revert my machine back to Windows 10 21H2 (Build 19044.2130) and the Veeam backup is again working as it should. I you require me to put my computer back to Windows 11 for further investigation, I will use the BMR feature again to do so. BMR is and always has been a life saver!

Thanks.

Greg
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Greg

Thanks for the update. We don't need the case for now.
Our team is working to release a compatible agent version for Windows 11 22H2 in Q1 2023. https://forums.veeam.com/post467301.html#p467301

Best Regards
Fabian