Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
gtrspctr
Novice
Liked: never

File restore with command line

Post by gtrspctr »

Howdy peeps.

I came across this old forum post but figured I'd start a new thread rather than resurrect that one. veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/file-restor ... 77202.html

I understand Veeam agent for Windows is not currently able to do file restores via command line, but I think it would be extremely helpful. I'm with an MSP. We manage the backups for a lot of companies and devices of various shapes and sizes, and backup testing is very important to us. But with thousands of endpoints it becomes pretty difficult to schedule a time with each user, remote onto their computer, and do test restores through the GUI. Doing this in an automated way via command line would be such a great help.

I've been testing different methods of doing tests here and there. I just tried adding the object storage repo to a "central" VBR server and was able to restore some files. But the the agent backup failed because the repository was now "managed by the backup server". It was fixed when I deleted the repo from the VBR server. And I guess that's maybe a good thing to keep things separate, but my point is I haven't been able to find a good, easy way to do backup testing of Veeam agents in even a mildly automated fashion.

Is there a way to submit this request this be added to the roadmap? (To be voted on, of course.)

Meanwhile, is there a recommended way to do regular backup testing outside of logging onto the devices and restoring thru the Veeam agent? What are other MSPs doing?

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: File restore with command line

Post by Mildur »

Hi Gtrspctr
Is there a way to submit this request this be added to the roadmap? (To be voted on, of course.)
You already did by creating this topic. Let's see how many request we get from others.
I just tried adding the object storage repo to a "central" VBR server and was able to restore some files. But the the agent backup failed because the repository was now "managed by the backup server". It was fixed when I deleted the repo from the VBR server.
While I can't make any promises about a specific timeline, we're actively researching a solution for this scenario. The idea is to offer supported access on a DR backup server for object storage repositories, allowing customers or service providers to do DR testing on backups files in a central location.
Meanwhile, is there a recommended way to do regular backup testing outside of logging onto the devices and restoring thru the Veeam agent? What are other MSPs doing?
Have you tried Instant Recovery to VmWare? If you manage those agents through a tenant backup server and Veeam Cloud Connect, you can start instant recovery sessions from the Veeam Cloud Connect console.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian

PS:
If you are a Veeam Cloud & Service Provider, please register yourself in our service provider user group. This gives you access to our hidden service provider sub forums where service provider products are discussed: Apply for the Cloud and Service Providers user group. I will move this topic to our service provider sub forum after you have registered for the group.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software