Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
LTS-John
Novice
Liked: never

Backup keeps hanging at 2%.

Post by LTS-John »

Running Veeam agent for Windows free on an intel nuc, image level backup to external USB SSD.

Over a week ago we were getting the following in the backup failure reports;

Code: Select all

Agent Backup job: IntelNUC
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 	Error
Sunday, 11 February 2024 22:00:00
Success	0	Start time	22:00:00	Total size	19.6 GB	Backup size	0.0 B	 
Warning	0	End time	22:01:46	Data read	4.4 GB	Dedupe	1.0x	
Error	1	Duration	0:01:45 	Transferred	2.9 GB	Compression	1.0x	
Details 
Name	Status	Start time	End time	Size	Read	Transferred	Duration	Details
IntelNUC	Error	22:00:01	22:01:45	19.6 GB	4.4 GB	2.9 GB	0:01:44 	One or more bad blocks were detected and skipped and skipped in the source disk
Error: Cannot process pending I/O request (offset: 28058845184, size: 65536): async reader terminated Corrupted block processing thread failed unexpectedly Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: Cannot process pending I/O request (offset: 28058845184, size: 65536): async reader terminated Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [9390]. Failed to download disk '50f5cc69-4da2-47ad-a384-fe605dfacfaf'
Ran all sorts of tools, benchmarks, SMART checks, chkdsks, etc and found no issues with C: (OS) or D: (eSSD). Noticed Veeam was due for an update, installed the new version, rebooted, and ever since then every backup job stops at 2%, roughly 14.5-14.9gb, and will sit there indefinitely. In the log file, once the backup gets stuck at 2%, I see this;

[13.02.2024 07:14:53] <29> Info           [AP] (5c0d) output: --asyncNtf:--vdisk_corrupted:\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5
I have cleared out all the shadow copies on this device, thinking one was corrupted. Re-ran the backup, same issue, but now it's saying HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1. If I just let the backup job sit, it just keeps producing these logs;

[AP] Waiting for completion. Id: [0x12538bc], Time: 00:30:00.0122884
Yesterday, we were also seeing a bunch of these logs but don't seem to be seeing them today. Also, Veeam is the ONLY thing that touches that D: drive.

[AP] (2f76) output: --asyncNtf:Pipeline timeout: it seems that pipeline hanged.
[AP] (b90b) output: --asyncNtf:--busy: Target backup repository is overloaded.
At this point, the only thing I haven't tried is doing a clean uninstall of Veeam and starting over but based on the errors I'm seeing in the logs I suspect that won't fix the issue. Not sure what to do at this point, other than switch to another local backup solution because I can't seem to prove that there is anything wrong with the machine or either of its disks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup keeps hanging at 2%.

Post by Mildur »

Hi John

Please contact our customer support team. We cannot troubleshoot technical issues over a forum post. Also do not post log files in this forum.
Without case number, the topic will eventually be deleted by moderators.

Best regards,
Fabian

PS: support can only help if you upload logs https://www.veeam.com/kb2404
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
LTS-John
Novice

Post by LTS-John »

Will the support team help me with veeam agent for windows free, no license, and no account? Last I recall, Veeam doesn't allow users to call in for support and you can't initiate a ticket online unless you have a portal account and a product license.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

As a free user of our Agent you can open a support case directly from the Veeam agent UI:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60

We provide support on best effort for users of our free products. Which means, if our support engineers have free capacity, they will take over cases from our free users as well.

Best,
Fabian
MarkBoothmaa
Veeam Legend
Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Mark Boothman

Post by MarkBoothmaa » 1 person likes this post

We have seen this on both physical and VM's with the agent installed. In the 1st instance i'd suggest chkdsk /f to be ran.

If its a VM are you able to storage vmotion the disk? We saw this issue on a client when the datastore had correuption meaning the VMDK wasn't able to be backed up.

Eventually they had a disk failure on the array and had to rebuild although once they went back to the last good backup the issue was no longer there due to the array rebuild.
LTS-John
Novice

Post by LTS-John »

Mildur wrote: Feb 13, 2024 2:02 pm As a free user of our Agent you can open a support case directly from the Veeam agent UI:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60

We provide support on best effort for users of our free products. Which means, if our support engineers have free capacity, they will take over cases from our free users as well.

Best,
Fabian
Thanks, will try that.
LTS-John
Novice

Post by LTS-John »

MarkBoothmaa wrote: Feb 13, 2024 2:04 pm We have seen this on both physical and VM's with the agent installed. In the 1st instance i'd suggest chkdsk /f to be ran.
Did that, absolutely no issues found with either disk.
MS_SWHitech
Lurker
Full Name: Michal Spes

Post by MS_SWHitech »

Hi All.

I have this same problem with keeps hanging at 10%.

Where was the problem the last time?

Do You have some info from Support?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Michal

I suggest to open your own case to investigate this situation.
John never shared a case number, so I cannot look it up.

Best,
Fabian