Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Titanmike
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: ZeGerman

vSphere hosts updates - UUID error

Post by Titanmike »

Hiya,

I just updated all the hosts using the update manager and now the backup failed with
Checking the license for the source host 'xxx'
Failed to validate license for the VM "xxx".
Host with uuid "10201248-00b4-f9d9-9b22-003048f5af08" was not found
This was quite odd. First thing I tried was re-adding the VM inside the task which failed again.
Although I was able to to browse the hosts and they also showed as licensed, I had to remove the whole vCenter from the Veeam server and re-add it which obviously deleted the backup task as well etc.

What would cause this issue ? Does this mean that every time we update the hosts (which might changed the build number) we'd have to re-create every task ?
Titanmike
Enthusiast
Full Name: ZeGerman

Re: vSphere hosts updates - UUID error

Post by Titanmike »

I just remember I also removed a few snapshots at the same time .. is that related ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

No, updating hosts hosts should not affect jobs. There were no changes in licensing code since version 1, and this issue was never reported in all these years, so I think it is safe to assume that the issue is specific to your environment - something went wrong with the update you have performed. More likely though, this issue is completely unrelated to host update at all, but performing some other operation with this host (for example, removing/readding host to vCenter, or something like it - hard to guess). Thank you.
flakpyro
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David M

Post by flakpyro »

Had the same thing happen today when swapping out hosts for new hardware, the new hardware was named the same as the old and when the first backup job ran the same UUID error was thrown. Solved this by removing references to the old hosts in the database under the table "dbo.hosts", this caused them to be recreated and re licensed and now jobs are running perfectly. :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

David, thank you for finding time to share this information.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Recommended & supported way of doing the same thing is Revoke button on About > License dialog. Thanks.
simm0
Novice
Full Name: Simon Thomson

Backups fail with "Failed to validate license for the VM "

Post by simm0 »

This is resolved but I didn't find a lot of reference to it here so I thought I'd post the resolution.

After some issues we had with an ESXi host recently the Veeam jobs backing up VM's on that host started to fail with the following error:

Checking the license for the source host '192.168.xxx.xxx'
Failed to validate license for the VM "VMname".
Host with uuid "080020ff-ffff-ffff-ffff-xxxxxxxxxxxx" was not found

To resolve this issue do the following in Veeam Backup and Replication 5:

1. Click Help --> License Information --> Licensed Hosts --> Select Host --> Revoke.
2. In vSphere create an "empty" VM on the affected host.
3. In Veeam create a backup job to backup the new "empty" VM, run the job.

Once the new backup job has run your other jobs should run successfully again.

Credits:

Nathan Simon
Gostev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Simon, thanks for finding time to share this info with the Community. I've merged your topic to the existing discussion. Thanks.
DavidStankard
Lurker
Full Name: David Stankard

Post by DavidStankard »

This just happened to me. I removed an old host from vCenter, added the new host (different IP), and everything worked fine. Added my VM's to the new host, went to Veeam, removed the VM's that were on the old host, re-added them from the new host, and thought all was good.

Jobs failed last night, so I looked in the license file. It showed the old host, so I revoked just that one host, and all three disappeared. Re-added the license - no love.

Found this post, did as suggested and ran an "empty" job on all three hosts, and the license file is happy again.
lnmn249
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dale Hartung

Post by lnmn249 » 2 people like this post

I updated my hosts last night via update manager and all my backups failed after everything was back to normal. After reading through this post my solution to the problem was simply revoking the licenses for the hosts and restarting the backup and replication jobs with success. I'm glad this post was here else I would have been pulling my hair out for three days. Thanks all!

On a side note my errors contained no licensing reference. I simply happen chanced on this article and it worked,

Dale
cyberfed
Influencer

Post by cyberfed »

FYI this is related to updating your VMware Hosts.

I just updated our hosts with the December 20th ESXi 5.0 Update 2 package that VMware released.
After this one of my VM's would not backup throwing the UUID error. Until now I had never seen or gotten this error doing my Veeam backups.

What I found odd is that only 1 of my VM's encountered this and not all of them. Weird.

Like someone else posted I did NOT have the following messages in my error:
Checking the license for the source host '192.168.xxx.xxx'
Failed to validate license for the VM "VMname".

Mine only had the following error for 1 VM out of 5 in the backup job:
Host with uuid "0404.....ect ect.." was not found

I revoked my hosts and re-ran the jobs. My jobs then worked.
jjblaster
Influencer
Full Name: Jeremy Scott

Post by jjblaster » 2 people like this post

We experience the same exact issue as cyberfed after updating hosts to 5.0U2. Revoking the license from Enterprise manager resolved the issue for us. Thanks for the update cyberfed.
AndyGDIT
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Andrew Frye

Post by AndyGDIT »

I have also seen this error, revoking the license on the host worked for some of my jobs, but I also re-scanned the vCenter under infrastructure.

Infrastructure --> Managed Servers --> vCenter Servers --> Right Click your vCenter and click Rescan. Took a few minutes but I got it to work.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also remember, rescan happens once every 24 hours. I never found when is scheduled to run, but I've trained myself to run a manual rescan everytime a do changes in my environment.
Somewhere else in these forums I already proposed to Veeam to let us change rescan options: in rapidly-changing environments, there are often new ESXi servers, and one cannot always remember to run a rescan everytime. It would be enough to ask for a more frequent rescan.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
nicold
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Donny Nicol

Post by nicold »

I also had the "Host with uuid "080020ff-ffff-ffff-ffff-xxxxxxxxxxxx" was not found" error following a series of ESXi 5.0 VUM updates. Revoking the Veeam licenses and re-running the backup jobs fixed my issue as well.
:D
Wherever you go there you are.
KiwiJJ
Expert
Full Name: John Jones

Post by KiwiJJ »

I also had this error after applying Update 2 to ESXi 5.0, Have revoked the licenses and will see if the backups run ok tonight.
JeffHengesbach
Novice
Full Name: Jeff hengesbach

Post by JeffHengesbach »

+1 Experienced the same here after applying 5.0 U2. Revoking via Help-> License, then re-running worked.
kevinnaughton
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kevin Naughton

Post by kevinnaughton »

Chalk me up as another. Applied updates via VUM. Then got this error. Revoking license fixed.
TheJourney
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sam Journagan

Post by TheJourney »

Had the same issue as well with 5.0 U2 via VUM. But only on one host, not sure what level it was before the update, sorry...
evmpr
Novice
Full Name: Eugene

Post by evmpr »

Had the same issue after applying the latest patches including U2 for our 5.0 environment. Revoking licenses seemed to do the trick. Looks like the jobs are running again.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Did the trick here too. After revoking licenses backups started working again.
Cyrix619
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Loren Hudson

Post by Cyrix619 » 1 person likes this post

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. This issue is real, and it happen to me with vsphere 5.0.0 update 2 was applied. The recommended revoke solution does resolve the issue.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

[MERGED] KB1063 - ESX Host with bios uuid ... was not found

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Attempted to perform a restore of VM Hard Disks. At point to select datastore [Change] get a dialog.

Esx host with bios uuid ....not found.

Background
Recently we upgraded our vsphere from 5.0 to 5.1 (vcenter server and esxi hosts) one of the hosts had to be rebuilt however - but the others an upgrade performed.

We have performed restores since the upgrades.

We had initial problems with Veeam licenses after the upgrades but that was resolved by revoking the licenses. This was related to the hosts that time. They still were in Veeam as 5.0 hosts.

Anyway,
I found the KB1063 article, performed revoke of all Veeam licenses. Even restarted all Veeam services and the Veeam SQL Express service. Also migrated the VM I am attempting the restore with. The same message only except a different uuid, possibly because of the migrate.

I have checked my Backup Infrastructure and I see all my ESXi hosts (detail summary shows 5.10 builds) and have rescanned the vcenter server.

Still same message.
My request via this forum post however, is how do I issue the SQL statement in the KB1063 article when I dont have SQL Studio Manager installed. (I am not a DBA of any level - really). Should I just install it?

Using Veeam B&R 6.5.0.128
vSphere 5.1
vCenter Server 5.1.0
ESXi Hosts 5.1.0
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: KB1063 - ESX Host with bios uuid ... was not found

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

Have you looked in to this topic?

Regarding the KB1063, there are three workarounds mentioned, as you tried to revoke licenses and there is no SQL Studio on your side, did you try to recreate jobs?

Cheers!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [MERGED] KB1063 - ESX Host with bios uuid ... was not fo

Post by foggy »

stuartmacgreen wrote:My request via this forum post however, is how do I issue the SQL statement in the KB1063 article when I dont have SQL Studio Manager installed. (I am not a DBA of any level - really). Should I just install it?
Yes, there is even a download link to SQL Server Management Studio Express given at the bottom of the article especially for that case.
Frosty
Expert
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

[MERGED] Upgrading ESXi 5.0 U1 to 5.1 with VBR 6.5

Post by Frosty »

I upgraded my VBR 6.0 to 6.5 a month or so ago and it has all been smooth sailing.
I'm now ready to consider upgrading vCenter/ESXi 5.0 U1 to 5.1,
so am just wondering whether there is anything special I need to know before starting?
e.g. will I need to re-create backup jobs? (we don't do any replication stuff, just backups)
e.g. will VBR need any special treatment to recognise the upgraded vCenter?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Upgrading ESXi 5.0 U1 to 5.1 with VBR 6.5

Post by veremin »

Please be aware that upgrade process will set a different UUID to your ESXi server. Since Veeam uses the UUID to distinguish objects, your jobs are likely to fail with the following error:

Host with uuid was not found

However, the fix is actually quite simple, and should be done right after the upgrade and before the next backup to avoid a failure. Simply revoke the Veeam licenses assigned to the hosts.

Go to Menu -> Help -> Licence -> Licensed host -> Select the server that have been upgraded to 5.1 -> Revoke.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Upgrading ESXi 5.0 U1 to 5.1 with VBR 6.5

Post by veremin »

Additionally, don’t forget to upgrade vCenter before the hosts. Otherwise, you’ll face vCenter inability to see/administer properly ESXi hosts with newer version.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Frosty
Expert
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

Post by Frosty »

Sweet ... thanks for the tips ... sounds like a smooth upgrade path (fingers crossed!).
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Revoked licenses - still same message.
Issued the delete sql statement and the dbo HostsByJob table is now empty - same message. Stopped all Veeam services - same message.

- remaining option to recreate all my jobs! REALLY!

Note: I am trying to perform a RESTORE.
Going to get in touch with support.