Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Terrum
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Re: Since v6.5 upgrade "Host hardware sensor status changed"

Post by Terrum »

Thank you Vitaliy. I engaged VMware Support and after some investigation they confirmed that this is a known bug in vCenter Server MOB functionality (MOB data on the server is out of synch with the data on the host). The tech said it is fixed in latest patch for vSphere 5.0/5.1, but not for vSphere 5.5 for which he can only see existing bug fix request with no information on release date. Until it's fixed there always be a chance of false alarm in Veeam One (or in any other monitoring system that pulls hardware health data from vCenter Server MOB). He also added that vShpere Client pulls the data via CIM and so should Veeam One because "CIM is more reliable than MOB"...

I installed Veeam ONE v7 R2a patch and now I got "Host synchronization failed" alarm for all three hosts, which corresponds well with what was said above.

Anton
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam ONE v7 R2a collects host hardware sensors via CIM only, we have dropped collection through MOB due to its unreliability. Do you use read-only account to connect to your hosts?
Terrum
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by Terrum »

I connect to vCenter Server (not to each host) using an account with Administrator role assigned. Do you recommend to switch to read-only account and add each host individually in Veeam One? (during initial setup/config. I added only vCenter Server and my three hosts automatically appeared below it)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Your setup looks fine, monitoring individual hosts as opposed to vCenter Server connection is less efficient.
simon617
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by simon617 »

good to know