Remote tape library. Slow performance

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Remote tape library. Slow performance

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Update: Support team has created a KB article regarding this behaviour. Everyone experiencing this issue, please, check it out and download the private fix provided there. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 971 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Maurice » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:00 am 1 person likes this post

The Path in the KB is a bit wrong.
It should be "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup" right?

Thanks for that fix. It worked and the Workaround with the Scheduling that was sended by the Support Team worked, too.

Great Job for the v8 by the way.
The new Features are great and i hope that the first few bugs are gone in no time. :)

Greetings
Maurice
Maurice
Service Provider

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Maurice Galicic

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:47 am

You're right, indeed. The correct path is C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup. I've asked already support team to update the KB.

Yes, we're trying to addressing any issues raised by users in timely fashion. Thanks be to you for drawing our attention to this or that particular problem; highly appreciated.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nreutemann » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:27 pm

I create a new job, wich process the backup of only one VM, a new "backup to tape job".
Under "Media Pool", go to "Schedule" into the "media pool for full backups" and set it to "Monthly" on "Last" "Sunday" of "December" (the only month selected).
When I run the job, the throughput is 25Mb/s, the bottleneck is network.

So, I didnt see any change.

I do something wrong?

Best regards!

Our case is ID#00674598
nreutemann
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Nicolas Reutemann

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Nicolas,

Please, continue investigation with Veeam Support team - it could be configuration specific bug and requires deep VBR log and infrastructure analysis for correct troubleshooting. Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby daxb » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:06 pm 1 person likes this post

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with Veeam support. I logged Case # 00679800 on the 16th of November as tape backups were stuck at 20MB/s following the upgrade and still haven't had anything useful from support. I found this post which appears to have resolved the issue though: http://www.v-strange.de/index.php/2-unc ... o-veeam-v8

So adding the reg key HKLM\Software\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\DisablePublicIPTrafficEncryption = 1 seems to fix my issue.

Worth trying if you are experiencing slow tape transfer following installation of the KB1949 patch.

Would have saved me a lot of time if support had been as responsive as the author of the blog experienced.
daxb
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dax

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Hello Dax,

I am sorry that you case resolution took longer than expected. The issue you experienced is now fully documented and applied for a fix in upcoming patch, so thank you opening a support case and providing all the troubleshooting information - it helped a lot in finding the root of this problem. Thanks again and sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Tape performance, what to expect?

Veeam Logoby HHansen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi,

I was wondering what kind of perfomance you other guys have on your tape setup with B&R 8.

I'm currently looking into replacing our HP data protector with Veeam since we already pay for it.

My setup is:

One physical server (2xCPU, 48GB RAM)
2xHP D2600 SAS disk enclosures, with 44TB storage (22 in raid 0+1), directly attached to the physical server
1x MSL 4048 library with 2x LTO5 drives, directly attached to the physical server, also using SAS

All backups are done to disk each night, and kept there for 1 week for fast restore.

Backup to tape is done on a daily basis, by backing up the data on the disks and setting retention.

With HP data protector, i get around 100-120MB/s to tape.

With Veeam i get around 40MB/s.

LTO5 is supposed to run at 140MB/s as far as i know.

Is this normal performance for Veeam or is there something wrong? Veeam says target is bottleneck.

HHansen
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Henrik Hansen

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:58 pm

Henrik,
We have at least two bugs that may affect performance of your existing backup to tape jobs:

- If you using the backup to tape with .vrb files please refer to this KB article Backup to tape jobs fails when the source contains .vrb files
- If not, please check that encryption does not affect your performance by setting the custom regkey: at HKLM\Software\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication a DisablePublicIPTrafficEncryption DWORD with value = 1
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby HHansen » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:58 pm

d.popov wrote:Henrik,
We have at least two bugs that may affect performance of your existing backup to tape jobs:

- If you using the backup to tape with .vrb files please refer to this KB article Backup to tape jobs fails when the source contains .vrb files
- If not, please check that encryption does not affect your performance by setting the custom regkey: at HKLM\Software\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication a DisablePublicIPTrafficEncryption DWORD with value = 1

The files im currently testing with is .bak files, and they are around 20-500GB in size each.

I've tried the regkey setting but it doesnt change anything in relation to performance. What can i expect to get in MB/s on my setup?
HHansen
Novice

Veeam Logoby vMario156 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:59 pm

d.popov wrote:- If not, please check that encryption does not affect your performance by setting the custom regkey: at HKLM\Software\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication a DisablePublicIPTrafficEncryption DWORD with value = 1

Thanks, the registry key increased our backup to tape Speed from 47MB/s to 150MB/s with a direct connected LTO6 SAS Drive (HP MSL 2024).

Cheers,
Mario
vMario156
Novice

Full Name: Mario Mack

Veeam Logoby HHansen » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks for your input Mario,

How are your setup? And what type of backup are you running? Files? Which files, sizes etc? :)
HHansen
Novice

Veeam Logoby tochi » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:19 am

Hi Guys,

Just installed V.8 for a customer... veeam server is a VM, tape is connected to a physical machine configured as "tape server" Network speed is 1Gbps (private/dedicated). I'm backing up VBK and VIB files. First testing, throughput is 1MB/s... ouch. VB$R is with latest patch 1. Unchecked hardware compression on backup job option, nothing changes, followed the registry change regarding DisableIPTrafficEncryption. It worked, now its throughput is around 11MB/s... still very slow... I'm using LTO4 SAS standalone drive. Please help.

Regards,
tochi
Influencer

Full Name: Renen Quinto

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:59 am

What type of tape job you're using? Backup to tape or file to tape one? What you're archiving to tapes - one big file or bunch of small ones? Just to make sure the device is capable of better performance can you try to perform similar operation a with a native tape vendor tool and see what speed you get? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tochi » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks for quick response..
Job Type: File to Tape
Archiving: Backup Repository Folder: .vbk and .vib (around 15 files, 12GB) took 21 minutes to finish.
Tape device is installed in a W2K8 SP2, I don't think native backup to tape is available.
Backup Summary says Network is the bottleneck 99%
tochi
Influencer

Full Name: Renen Quinto

PreviousNext

Return to Tape