- Veeam Software
- Posts: 15427
- Liked: 1165 times
- Joined: Oct 26, 2012 3:28 pm
- Full Name: Vladimir Eremin
- Posts: 33
- Liked: 3 times
- Joined: Feb 02, 2015 1:51 pm
- using a (NetApp)-filer as a kind of "tape server" - backup software uses tape drives (and maybe even libraries?) connected to the filer as target for external data;
- backing up data from a filer to filer-attached Tape drives - backup software only as control instance, backup server is not in the data path.
- backing up data from a filer to backup server attached tape library and drives (aka. 3-way-NDMP).
One main goodie for NDMP backup is that file system meta data will be backed up so it can be restored as it was. With CIFS or NFS there always seems to be some kind of meta data loss during transit.
Depending on how well NDMP is implemented on the filer and on the side of the backup software, it might even have something similar to "CBT" to enable "forever incremental" in a timely fashion - I don't know how you'll achieve that with direct backup of CIFS or NFS share.
I'm seeing people moving away from NDMP backups because the amount of data stored in a filer (we have a 'small' Isilon cluster with about 150TB and billions of files) makes it unfeasible. We can't possibly meet any sensible RPO or even RTO, because incremental backups take up a lot of time for treewalks (which files have changed), and even though full backup are actually faster, you can only write about 130Mb/s to one LTO5 drive, so it almost always takes too long for a backup to finish.
To paraphrase a famous quote: "NDMP is the worst form of backup, except for all others that have been tried". It would be great to have Veeam support NDMP, because from my experience Veeam works great, which could mean that Veeam's implementation of NDMP also might be great...
- Posts: 66
- Liked: 10 times
- Joined: Jan 26, 2016 2:48 pm
- Full Name: Plandata Datenverarbeitungs GmbH
So we are not able to backup that in the moment, So this feauture request gets much more important!!
- Posts: 10
- Liked: 2 times
- Joined: Dec 14, 2017 12:56 pm
- Full Name: Owen Thompson
I'm wondering why it's been 4 years since this thread has been created and they still have not bothered to implement it. Lot's of people have asked for it, do they not listen to their customers?
I would also like to know when they plan to do it and hope it will be available to all VBR Editions.
- Posts: 3
- Liked: never
- Joined: Oct 17, 2016 2:32 pm
- Full Name: Gary Nalley
- Veeam Software
- Posts: 8963
- Liked: 664 times
- Joined: Feb 04, 2013 2:07 pm
- Full Name: Dmitry Popov
- Location: Prague
Thank you for your posts. For now, I can say that we are researching the possibility to support NDMP protocol as a part of Veeam B&R tape feature. Please do not forget to share the model of device you are willing to protect via NDMP. Also, the latest supported NDMP protocol version might come handy, so, if possible, please include it in your post too.
- Posts: 1
- Liked: never
- Joined: Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm
- Full Name: William Korb
Not having this feature jeopardizes backup of critical data, to the point that we are considering replacing VEEAM with an alternative that supports NDMP and/or AIX. While support for both would be optimal, we could make due with just NDMP support.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests