Feature Request - Central Management Console

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Feature Request - Central Management Console

Veeam Logoby rollem67 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:56 pm 2 people like this post

Some kind of manager would be nice. Lets say i have to backup several laptops and would like to manage the backup jobs from a central site instead of locally on each laptop.
rollem67
Lurker

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Noriel Ape

Re: Feature Request - Manage backups

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:58 am

Hi,

As we stated, today it is a standalone product and there won't be any manager at the time of GA. But we certainly will keep your feedback in our mind for later use. It would be great if you could tell us what some (or all) things are that you want to be able to do with that manager.

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 390 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:32 am

Just a side question on this feature request - how should these laptops be managed? Are they always on the local LAN or they could also be used during travels?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1158 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby cu_north » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:11 pm 1 person likes this post

I have to add my +1 to this feature. Centrally managed by VBR might be nice. Other features might include:

1. Using central server (VBR) to push agents to endpoints that utilize VSS.
2. Agent endpoints can backup to Backup Repository.
3. Manage/Schedule backups via VBR or similar central area.
4. Traveling, remote computers maybe backup locally until they can sync with repository, perhaps when they rejoin the LAN/Domain.
5. Same backup triggers available like Backup on Lock, etc.

Just some suggestions! Thanks!

Chris
cu_north
Lurker

Full Name: Chris N

Veeam Logoby jonaz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:57 pm

I totally agree with cu_north. Having this product fully integrated with Veeam B&R would solve a ton of current feature requests, such as a central application.
jonaz
Enthusiast

Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Jona Ziemann

Veeam Logoby tinkererguy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Mike Resseler wrote:Hi,

As we stated, today it is a standalone product and there won't be any manager at the time of GA. But we certainly will keep your feedback in our mind for later use. It would be great if you could tell us what some (or all) things are that you want to be able to do with that manager.

Thanks

Mike

Mike, thanks for boldly putting that question up!

I've used Ghost and other cloning and backup tools (Acronis, Clonezilla, Macrium, etc.) since the late 90's. I now have about a dozen PCs in my extended family that have a lot of duplicate data, backed up daily (when things work right), for the last 7 years or so, starting with Windows Home Server.

I know for my family, any potential replacement for my my current W2012R2E (Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials) server VM (under ESXi) must meet these requirements:
1) full bare metal restore capabilities, with full UEFI and >3TB drive support, and handling restore to smaller SSDs (that are big enough to hold the actual data)
2) automatic scheduling of remote machines, even those that are coming in remotely over VPN (so can't use WOL/magic packets), for those daily backups
3) some sort of single-instance-storage or dedupe, eg., one Windows 8.1 PC should take up about the same space (on the data store chosen for backups) as ten PCs would
4) ability to grow the backup repository easily, ideally some sort of simplified Veeam B&R-like appliance (deployed with OVA) intended to be left running 24x7
5) restores faster than W2012R2E (which is no speed demon once you get past around 2TB of backup data and/or about 5 PCs)

From what I've seen and read, it seems item #1 is taken care of already (I haven't actually gotten the beta yet), but some sort of simplified central management interface could help with items 2/3/4/5.

Yeah, that's asking a lot, just brainstorming. I know, easier said than done!
Paul Braren
tinkererguy
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Paul Braren

Veeam Logoby tinkererguy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:42 pm

I see here, Anton Gostev's request for "Feature request submissions":
veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/feature-request-t24611.html
which asks for separate topics for each suggestion. I'll split these ideas off if it'd help, but was trying to get started a dialogue going, under the appropriate umbrella of "Manage backups" first.
Paul Braren
tinkererguy
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Paul Braren

Feature request - Management throught Webinterface

Veeam Logoby MikeV » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:14 pm

For remote access. Management of basic functions through an webinterface
MikeV
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Veltmann

Re: Feature Request - Central Management Console

Veeam Logoby roelvdw » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:39 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi

I agree with this.
It would be very nice if there is a central console to backup Laptops/Desktops from one central point to an external disk / BU Target Veeam.
Nice feature should also to able to backup Physical Linux Destkops/Portables. Even MAC OS X NoteBooks and iMAC's.
roelvdw
Enthusiast

Full Name: Vandewalle Roel

Veeam Logoby Keyser » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:39 pm 3 people like this post

Wait, please remember the whole point of this product and your design is the KISS approach to complicated matters :-)
Please do not change much in this free edition of the product - especially no web management interface!!!.
It should only be locally managed like today - maybe with an easy option to deploy agents and configs via AD policy.

What you should do is make 2 feature licenses to VBR called respectively "Managed ENDPOINT BACKUP" and "Managed PHYSICAL SERVER BACKUP".

The License "Managed PHYSICAL SERVER BACKUP" should add the following to VBR:
A new Navigation point called "PHYSICAL Machines" where you can do much the same as under virtual machines today - namely add managed servers, create jobs and restores.
When adding a server you essentially deploy a headless agent to a server (No localSQL, no user interface) and you should be able to do so by wizard, by AD policy or complete manually by downloading installer.
This agent just sits idle on the physical server waiting to be contacted and instructed to do backup. It should use/be a veeam proxy component like the virtual solution does today so all servers in the same job is Dedup'ed, compressed and shipped to a repository. Scheduling should be exactly the same as virtual machines - maybe called Physical Backup?. The same copyjob, tapejob and so forth should be possible.

The License "Managed ENDPOINT BACKUP" should add the following to VBR:
A new Navigation point called "ENDPOINTS" where you can do much the same as under virtual machines today - namely add endpoints, create jobs and do restores/Create recovery boot ISO's.
When adding an ENDPOINT you essentially deploy a small agent to a machine with No localSQL but a small GUI to restore and initiate a manual backup (if allowed).
Adding endpoints should be done by wizard, by AD policy or completly manually by downloading installer.
This agent is designed to get its next backup job config from the VBR server. It uses a configurable polling timer to request scheduling updates from the server. Prior to attempt polling or backup it does a DNS lookup for a special DNS name. If that name is available it start polling or doing backup if scheduled (or overdue).
Everytime it completes a backup it automatically gets its next backup schedule. The agent only ever knows about the next backup it should complete.
This agent should use destination infrastructure just like you do today in the free edition. Scheduling and destination setup is done centrally at the VBR console.

As far as I can tell these features should not require to much development as it uses technology, modules and features you have today. This would make VBR the ultimate backup solution in my book and still honour the KISS koncept.
Keyser
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times

Feature Request - Cloud Dashboard to Manage Clients

Veeam Logoby KanedaShotaro » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Would be nice to have a cloud dashboard to manage all the clients that are setup for backups. Also would be nice to be able to publish a installer on the dashboard and a way to email a link to a user so the user could install the software.
KanedaShotaro
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Kaneda Shotaro

Feature Request - Central Admin Console

Veeam Logoby Craig_karl » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:17 pm 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I know this will be a free product moving forward, but it would be nice to have a Central console where you could manage up to 25 devices, push the veeam endpoint client, configure the backup and have it report successes and failures.

Integration into B&R looks to already be in the works, but for smaller SMBs who don't have the need for a full B&R infrastructure this would be a nice tool to have to backup their machines out there without having to visit each device and configure them.

Thanks
Craig_karl
Novice

Full Name: Craig Karl

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the feedback. What about restore capabilities? Do you also plan to do at least FLRs from that central admin console?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Craig_karl » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:07 am

File Level restores would be good as well. But I think if it was me I would want to be able to do that from the endpoint and the admin console.

I agree with everyone else's idea for what needs to be in the console, ability to push out the endpoint agent, centralize the backups on to a server repository or NAS device, set backup policies and jobs, all units would be on the local LAN, and if they missed a backup window then some sort of reporting would be great.
Craig_karl
Novice

Full Name: Craig Karl

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Got it, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows