[NEW BUILD] Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE RC

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: [NEW BUILD] Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE RC

Veeam Logoby GrZeCh » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:57 am

Hello,

does anyone is using Endpoint Backup RC (1.0.0.1921) with File level backup and has unchecked some directories in Files section of backup configuration? I've unselected various dirs on various drives which I'm making backup of and Endpoint Backup is not taking this exclusions (I'm not using advanced exclusions and I'm only unchecking dirs which I don't want to backup) under consideration during backup process. Backup configurarion in Files section is showing me that my backup will use about 285GB but after backup process has been finished it used about 580GB.

Regards
GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Do you see these files and folders when you try to do the FLR? Can you please confirm you're not using volumes backup (check out this topic > File filters)?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby GrZeCh » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:24 pm

Ok. Now I've noticed that even if I have selected backup mode "File level backup" and press Next I see next to each volume informatio that it is being backuped as volume level backup. How I can change this? For example I don't want to unselect whole drive because I want to automatically backup all new directories in root directory of each backuped drive and for now only solution for file level backup is unselect volume and select all existing directories which I want to backup but I don't see any automated possibility to backup new directories from root drives. IMHO unselecting at least one directory from backuped volume should switch volume level backup to file level backup with possibility to have selected whole volume from which some folder will just not be backuped.
GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:36 pm

IMHO unselecting at least one directory from backuped volume should switch volume level backup to file level backup with possibility to have selected whole volume from which some folder will just not be backuped.

File level backup is much slower. If you want to backup only root files and folders, whiteout selecting the existing folders why not to use the volume level backup (selecting volume) and uncheck the sub root folder?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby GrZeCh » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:03 pm

This is how I've configured backup job. I have volume checked and I've excluded few dirs from it by unchecking them in dir tree but they are still being backuped.

Objects to backup shows about 280GB but backup size is about 570GB because exluded dirs has been backuped also.

EDIT: and yes when I'm trying to restore files I can see that directories which has been unchecked in backup job can still be restored (and thats why backup size is different than planned objects to backup size).
GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 pm

Now I see, quick question – was it an incremental job run? In addition, does the session in the Control Panel contain any warning regarding the VSS writer exclusions?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby GrZeCh » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:33 am

During incremental backup I see in windows event log few entries of type "Information" (there are no errors, warnings etc for VSS provider) like this one:

Ran out of time while expanding file specification.... This was being done for the .... subscriber.

(this is error in english language because on my end I'm getting errors in polish language - I'm using latest Windows 10 build). One more thing at the beggining I've performed volume backup type but when I saw that I can't exclude dirs in volume backup type I've stopped backup process which never finished, removed whole Veeam Backup directory for my backup task and edited backup task to File Level Backup and then excluded dirs and performed full backup. I didn't saw anywhere something like "remove backup configuration" or something similar so like I said I've removed backup directory and updated my backup configuration so maybe selecting volume level backup at the beggining saved somewhere and new updated backup configuration is not being taked under consideration now.
GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:00 am

Be aware that Windows 10 is not supported. Thanks for additional details, we will try to reproduce it internally.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:53 am

Yes, it could be a VSS optimization writer issue. In order to check it, please, open a support case from the Endpoint Control Panel > Support and let me know the case ID. Thank you in advance.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby GrZeCh » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:01 am

Hello,

here it is: Case # 00871837

Thanks
GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby mayro » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:21 am

mayro
Novice

Full Name: Mikhail Lobakhin

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:05 am

Hello Mikhail, what does this command show on the guest you're trying to backup - vssadmin list writers?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:13 pm

Mikhail,
Please, open a support case so we could check the logs and do not forget to post here your case ID. Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mayro » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:06 pm

mayro
Novice

Full Name: Mikhail Lobakhin

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Mikhail,
Let’s continue the troubleshooting via forum private messages, I’ve already sent you a PM.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows