GFS Retention Policy

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: GFS Retention Policy

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:35 pm 1 person likes this post

Ok, doing so will allow to have Sunday's data in the backup copy job restore point.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1011 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby SpiderPig » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:50 pm 1 person likes this post

Thank you kind sir. :D
SpiderPig
Influencer

Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Veeam copy jobs question

Veeam Logoby SilentDeath » Thu May 26, 2016 6:31 am

Hello,

I've setum a job containing only one VM which is a virtual fileserver.
This job runs daily at 07:00 PM and will hold 7 restorepoints.
I make use of Incremental jobs and create an active full backup every saturday.

Now, this customer asked some GFS implementation.
We want to achieve: 4 full, weekly back-ups and 12 monthly back-ups.
There is no offsite storage needed, the restore points will be stored on the same server.

So the first idea was to work with back-up copy jobs which works somewhat other than I expected.
While creating the back-up copy job, I assume I have to select 16 restore points.
I don't really get what the sync interval does?
Now, in my copy job I selected 4 weekly restore points and 12 monthly that need to run on Sunday.
I've set this up on 10 may and checked today the results.
I expected in this folder: 2 full back-ups: from 15 and 22 May.
The result however, is one full backup from 10 May, the day I created the copy job and the rest are all incrementals based on that full.

I recently started diving in Veeam powershell and it looks like I can achieve my wishes far more easy with this.
I was thinking of creating a script that runns every sunday (full backup is on saturday) which copies the active full backup to another folder.
The script checks if not more than 4 restore points are in that folder. If yes, before deleting a restore point copy if to a monthly folder.
SilentDeath
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: JohnDoe

Re: Veeam copy jobs question

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu May 26, 2016 10:46 am

Hi,

I don't really get what the sync interval does?
Basically it specifies how often the backup copy job will synchronize primary backup chain with the secondary backup chain. What's the value of sync interval in your backup copy job?

While creating the back-up copy job, I assume I have to select 16 restore points.
You can select any number of restore points, GFS will just keep weeklies and monthlies.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Liked: 223 times

Veeam Logoby SilentDeath » Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 am

The value is set to sync every day at 12:00h.

The problem is, I don't want a secundary back-up chain.
I only want my copy job to store the active full restore point, I do'nt care about the incrementals being synced or not.
SilentDeath
Novice

Full Name: JohnDoe

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu May 26, 2016 12:31 pm

The result however, is one full backup from 10 May, the day I created the copy job and the rest are all incrementals based on that full.
GFS kicks in at the moment when the retention condition is met (16 restore points in your case). You can set your backup copy job retention to 2 restore point and leave sync interval as it is now. That will make backup copy job to copy changes daily (so you will have the most recent restore point safe) and start creating GFS restore points sooner.

Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager

[MERGED] Secondary copies - very frustrated Veeam adopters..

Veeam Logoby Dja » Fri May 27, 2016 4:53 am

We have been with Veeam now for 6 months or so, previously a Commvault shop. We are trying to achieve the simple extended protection policies that we had in place with Commvault and previous vendors. That was to create a secondary copy of Monthly and Yearly jobs in order to extend the retention period. In our Commvault environment, all longer retention was to tape. We did start out trying to do this with tape but abandoned that pretty quickly having witnessed Veeam's lack of capability in that sphere.

We have also now significantly minimised the workloads we are seeking to protect for longer than the 30 days that we hold on the primary disk repository. Limited now to Exchange, Sql and File. 3 Jobs.

At present we are running active fulls at end each week and incremental daily. Backup is across the FC fabric so all pretty quick.

What we want to do with longer retention is to create secondary copies of the weekly jobs (last Friday of the month or last Friday of year) to another disk target in separate data centre. We may eventually offload to a cloud disk service but at present will be deduped to disk. The combined total for the 3 jobs is ~10TB for an active full and will be able to get several years on disk deduped, given the current rate of change.

I have just got off my second Veeam support call regarding how I might do this, but it seems there is just no capability to wait for my end of month to complete and then copy to secondary location.

We obviously need to rethink this completely (rather than think in Commvault or other vendor terms) but not sure where to start. I am surprised that anyone can run a secondary copy in the way I describe, we are not attempting to do anything complex here, on the contrary the logic is very simple. ie. Wait until job finished, send it somewhere else, apply different protection policy.

I appreciate any advice from you experienced Veeam folk.

Any Veeam people reading, would appreciate advice as whether this simple capability is on the dev road-map.
Dja
Novice

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri May 27, 2016 10:33 am

Hi,

It seems that backup copy job is what you need. Please review the thread and feel free to ask questions.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Veeam Logoby Dja » Sat May 28, 2016 4:35 am

Right, the obvious choice. But the support team advises me that what we are trying to do just can't be done with the options available. My observations and experimentation back that up. Powershell was one (unsupported ) suggestion. If you have a magic panacea for this I would be very pleased to hear it. Thanks in advance.
Dja
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sat May 28, 2016 8:09 am

Could you specify what exactly can be done here? It looks like you need to create a backup copy job with set monthly GFS retention.
By the way, what was your support case number?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 338 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

[MERGED] Monthly Backup Copy Confusion?

Veeam Logoby WellMark » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:48 pm

I'm relatively new to Veeam, and I'm a little confused on configuring my Monthly backups.

I have a machine being backed up nightly, with a 90 day retention.

I want to have a backup go to a remote DR site on the last day of every month, for the last 15 months.

Using a Backup Copy Job:

1st screen: Copy every? If I only want once a month what do I choose here?

3rd screen: Restore points to keep? 15 for the last 15 months?

Check the Keep the following restore points for archival purposes. Monthly backup: 15 Last day of the month?

Any good/best practice settings under Advanced?

Thank you!!
WellMark
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Moore

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:45 am

Hello Mark,
Backup Copy job has both simple and GFS retention.
If you want only 15 monthly points you should set restore points to keep =2, monthly backup = 15.
The logic is described in this topic and User Guide. Please get familiar and ask additional questions if have any.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 338 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

[MERGED] Best Practice" is to achieve 52 backups

Veeam Logoby Kdoel » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Case #01846068

Good day Forum,
I have a customer that I am already backing up (FF with 7 incrementals) every day with a synthetic FB on Saturday. They have just requested that we provide them with year's worth of Backup retention. I am interested to know what the "Best Practice" is to achieve 52 backups (weekly) or 12 (Monthly) backups for this customer. Can I use Backup Copy Job to copy off the Synthetic Full every week to another Source(not Tape)?
Kdoel
Veeam ProPartner

Full Name: Kevin Doel

[MERGED] GFS weekly created on wrong day

Veeam Logoby neilmacneil » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:51 pm

Hello,

VBR version: v9 u2 (upgraded from v1 yesterday to see if it fixed the issue)

I have a case open for this #01869502.

All my backup copy jobs are experiencing this behavior. The problem is that my weekly's are being created the day before they are scheduled. For example:

Backup Job = Veeam
Schedule: daily at 5AM
Finished this morning at 5:14 AM

Backup Copy= Veeam - Backup Copy
scheduled sync: 5:10AM
retention: 14 days
GFS: 4w/4m
weekly Saturday's 5:10AM
monthly's Last Saturday
Finished this morning at 5:28 AM

My backup copy job did a weekly this morning even though it was scheduled for saturday. This is a problem because last weekend it ended up doing 2 fulls, 1 weekly full a day before and 1 monthly (last saturday). I was expecting the monthly and weekly to occur on the same day and end up with just 1 full restore point.

Anyone know what might be causing this? Since it appears to be happening on all my backup copy jobs i'm thinking about just setting my weekly 1 day ahead of schedule :/

Thanks,

-Neil
neilmacneil
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Neil MacNeil

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:59 pm 1 person likes this post

Neil, GFS restore points are offloaded when the full backup of the regular chain reaches the specified day, not exactly on that day. On Friday, your regular full reached previous Saturday and was offloaded as GFS.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1011 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication