Move Veeam database only to another sql server

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Move Veeam database only to another sql server

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:24 am

I have moved my databases from a local sql express to a remote sql serevr 2008 r2 sp1
Using windows authentication, and the services are logged on as "windows authentication" so the user is the same.
But the Catalog service and the Enterprise manager did not start. (error 1053 ofcourse).

I've add the registry keys follow:

SqlServerName = VeeamBackup
SqlInstanceName = "empty"
SqlDatabaseName = WSQL1

Is this correct?, because i have a named instance "MSSQLP1", but i've tried several combination without success.
Can someone confirm the right settings?

Thanks.
tfloor
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 am

tfloor wrote:I have moved my databases from a local sql express to a remote sql serevr 2008 r2 sp1
Using windows authentication, and the services are logged on as "windows authentication" so the user is the same.
But the Catalog service and the Enterprise manager did not start. (error 1053 ofcourse).

SqlDatabaseName = WSQL1

Is this correct?, because i have a named instance "MSSQLP1", but i've tried several combination without success.

Thanks.

I'm now busy with reinstalling B&R and Enterprise manager to choose the sql within the wizard driven installation procedure. After that i will check the registry keys again.
tfloor
Expert

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:06 am

tfloor wrote:I have moved my databases from a local sql express to a remote sql serevr 2008 r2 sp1

SqlDatabaseName = WSQL1

Thanks.

Finished!.
Awesome how easy it is to uninstall/install each components without any problems.
The database is now reachable, and the services are started.
Here are my registry keys:

SqlInstanceName = MSSQLP1
SqlDatabaseName = WSQL1

I had tried that combination (ofcourse) before, but without any luck. A reinstall fixed everything.

So that's also an option to fix this kind of things without loosing data.

I'm now busy with reinstalling B&R and Enterprise manager to choose the sql within the wizard driven installation procedure. After that i will check the registry keys again.
tfloor
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:13 am

Glad that you're up and running now! As to the registry keys above, have you tried adjusting them for both Veeam B&R AND Enterprise Manager?
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Liked: 1046 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby tfloor » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 am

That could be the problem: :)

I had done
"\Veeam Backup and Replication"
"\Veeam Backup Catalog"

So i think i missed "Veeam Backup Reporting",
That part was missing on the threads i was looking :)
tfloor
Expert

[MERGED] Moving SQL DB

Veeam Logoby flavor4real » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Hello,
We are moving our SQL DB to another server and I wanted to see what procedure is necessary in Veeam6.0 to accomplish the switch.

thanks
flavor4real
Expert

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:54 pm

The procedure is same as it was before ;)

P.S. Our support has a dedicated KB article for that - http://cp.veeam.com/knowledgebase/article/KB1250
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Veeam Logoby flavor4real » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Registry keys did not worked. I went ahead and uninstalled veeam 6.0 and will reinstall and point to the new server. thanks
flavor4real
Expert

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:41 am

Can you confirm that you've tried to create these keys under the correct (v6.x) registry hive, as there are no known issues around these keys?
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Veeam Logoby Cokovic » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:16 am

Whenever i've moved a database this procedure always worked flawlessly for me. No big deal.
Cokovic
Expert

Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Veeam Logoby cffit » Fri May 10, 2013 5:56 pm

The article published by Veeam just mentions three registry entries and doesn't mention any of the Backup Enterprise Manager or the Catalog registry entries. Also, after searching through the registry I see there are also entries under "Reporter Enterprise" that list registry entries for the SQLServerInstanceName and SQLServerName that still point to the old SQL server. I assume those need to be changed as well?

Could someone update the KB article that doesn't mention these other registry entries? I spent a lot of time searching until I ran across this thread. Support just pointed me to the article here:

http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/kb1250

and that only lists about half the registry entries you need. I realize BEM isn't always installed, but it should be included in the article. For now I guess I should change the other two entries I listed above pertaining to "Reporter Enterprise" as well.
cffit
Expert

Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 am

Christensen, thanks for the feedback. I've forwarded the information to our support department so they could update the article with the registry entries related to Enterprise Manager/Catalog. Currently the article talks about Veeam B&R database only, while, you're right, it worth to include other components as well.

Regarding the "Reporter Enterprise" entry, as far as I understand, this relates to Veeam Reporter v4, so most likely is obsolete and is not used within Veeam ONE as it has its own registry entries.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1012 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby kamalkant » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:59 pm

we have 20 Veeam servers running.we are planning to move all jobs on one Veeam server. what is the best approach? can one Veeam server SQL DB be added(merged) to another Veeam SQL DB ?
kamalkant
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: kamalkant singhal

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm afraid you will not avoid re-creating at least part of your jobs on the new Veeam B&R instance. What Veeam B&R versions are you planning to merge? Here's the procedure for transition from v5, just in case this is the reason of your request.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1012 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby kamalkant » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks Foggy. I have all the Veeam servers upgraded to version Veeam 7 R2.

"4. For each job being consolidated recreate exact copy of job on "master" 6.1 server and map backup to existing backup files."

how will I recreate exact copy of job? Are you asking me to create them manually? I was thinking if Veeam job configuration data from different Veeam servers can be imported to consolidated Veeam server??
kamalkant
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: kamalkant singhal

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication