Moving Veeam B&R to another server?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Moving Veeam B&R to another server?

Veeam Logoby flavor4real » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:48 pm

Hello guys,
What files do I need to keep if I want to install Veeam B&R on another VM, which then will take the main role. The original Veeam B&R will then be retired. ... Thx
flavor4real
Expert

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Re: Moving Veaam B&R to another VM?

Veeam Logoby Alexey D. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Hello,

The main objective for you is not to lose B&R database, which contains all the information about your jobs' setup.

Please take a look at these topics, you should find all the answers there:
Move Veeam database only to another sql server
How to move a job from one server to another w/o messing CBT

Hope this helps!
Alexey D.

Veeam Logoby flavor4real » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction :arrow:

Just a question:
Copy the content of SqlLockInfo value (under Veeam Backup & FastSCP registry key) from production Veeam server to DR Veeam server, this should prevent this error from appearing. I can't find the "SqlLockInfo" value
flavor4real
Expert

Veeam Logoby Alexey D. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Since you are installing new copy of B&R from scratch, it's ok to skip this step with "SqlLockInfo": during setup you will be asked whether to reuse existing database - just click yes and setup will do the chemistry.

Dancing with "SqlLockInfo" is needed only when switching DB between existing installations.
Alexey D.

Veeam Logoby flavor4real » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks
flavor4real
Expert

Having a backup Veeam B&R environment setup?

Veeam Logoby flavor4real » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:44 pm

[merged]

Hello,
How is it going.
Currently we have Veeam B&R on a VM which gives us issues.
I'm adjusting our Veeam B&R environment and going to have a new Veeam B&R Main Environment setup on another VM, running the jobs. Then on the same end I would like to have another Veeam B&R environment setup which is ready to kick off whenever the veeam main environment goes down.

Is this possible? I assume that the SQL DB from the main has to be moved, corerct? Can it be shared? What are the steps in do so?
Thanks,
flavor4real
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 pm

You cannot share the same database between two or more different backup servers. The only way out for you would be using a remote SQL server for Veeam job configuration data. Once this configuration is set up, you can easily backup this SQL server for DR purposes.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Moving VBR from VM to physical machine

Veeam Logoby rfn » Sun May 22, 2011 9:57 pm

[merged ]

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to change our configuration.

We currently have our VBR server on a VM where the Enterprise Manager and the Microsoft Search Server is also installed. Our environment is pretty small with 3 hosts and an EqualLogic PS4000vx for our production VM's. We have a second EqualLogic PS4000e in a secondary server room which VBR replicates our VM's to each night. All hosts are connected to both SAN's.

VBR backups up our VM's using VA mode and stores the backup on a file server which is stored in the secondary server room.

The VBR database is stored on a SQL Server 2005 that is running in a VM that is also backed up by VBR.

When I first created this setup it seemed like a really good idea. Performance was better than on a older physical server that I initially tried and I had the resources available on the ESX hosts. The database was protected by VBR itself because it backed up the SQL Server.

The disadvantage is that if our primary SAN fails then we loose VBR as well and can't restore backups before we install a new instance of VBR and connect it to the database. We do have the replicas which we can just turn on which is why we're replicating as well as backing up. It also seems like performance has dropped and I could use the resources that VBR is taking up. I have now got a decent quad-core server that I could use as a physical server and wish to move to that.

The physical server will of course be connected to both LAN and the SAN network (two separate networks) so that I can use Direct SAN access. I have thought of moving the database back to the VBR server but storing it on an iSCSI drive on the primary SAN and use Dell's Host Integration Tools to setup replication to the secondary SAN. That would protect the database and I have no plans of protecting the VBR server more than that. Is that the way to go? Is it possible to set the location of the database when using SQL Server Express?

The physical server will be located in the secondary server room so that it will survive a disaster in our primary server room.

So the plan is this:

1. Install VBR on the physical server with default settings (SQL Server Express)
2. Detach the old database from the current SQL Server 2005.
3. Place the database files on the iSCSI drive and attach it to SQL Server Express
3. Launch VBR and change the jobs from VA mode to Direct SAN mode.

Will this work? I have problem in loosing the current Search Server indexes as they're never used, but will new indexes be created once the new server starts creating backups?

Regards,
René Frej Nielsen
rfn
Expert

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: René Frej Nielsen

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon May 23, 2011 8:27 am

rfn wrote:The disadvantage is that if our primary SAN fails then we loose VBR as well and can't restore backups before we install a new instance of VBR and connect it to the database.

That's not 100% true. Have you considered using a tiny restore utility that would allow you to restore VMs without having backup console?
rfn wrote:That would protect the database and I have no plans of protecting the VBR server more than that. Is that the way to go?

Yes.
rfn wrote:Is it possible to set the location of the database when using SQL Server Express?

Yes, you can edit SQL database location via registry keys.
rfn wrote:Will this work? I have problem in loosing the current Search Server indexes as they're never used, but will new indexes be created once the new server starts creating backups?

Yes, that will work. Please be aware that index is stored with the backup file itself as well, so there is no way to loose index data completely.

Please check out our sticky v5 FAQ for more information about indexing.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rfn » Mon May 23, 2011 9:27 am

I didn't know about the little restore utility and that is a nice thing, but in case of disaster then we have the replicas as it is now.

I've been wondering if it's necessary to do replication now that it's possible to start a VM directly from the backup? I know that performance will probably not be as good, but the the performance of the daily backup would probably be much better since we could then backup from SAN to SAN, instead of from SAN to a fileserver with not the fastest disks.

Right now we're only making backups and replications during the night, but the original idea was to do much more frequent backups/replications of our SQL Server. I had to drop that because something messed up in the snapshot/hot-add process and it failed to much. I hope that it works better now that VBR 5.x has matured.

With the above in mind, then what's your take on dropping replication and use backups only?
rfn
Expert

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon May 23, 2011 9:53 am

While Instant Recovery capability brings huge benefits, it still doesn't mean that replicas are no longer needed. If I were you I would try to run a VM from a backup file and see what performance do you get. Also please note that replicas would be very useful if you decide to failover to all production VMs at the same time in case your main SAN goes down.

As regards snapshot/hot-add process, I'm not sure what the problem you had, but snapshot removal procedures are handled solely by VMware. Anyway if you still face any issues feel free to contact our techincal team for assistance.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby rfn » Mon May 23, 2011 10:09 am

You're right that I should probably test it... And as you point out then I might get problems if I have to run full production from backup. It was just and idea :D

I was in contact with your support when I had the problems with snapshot/hot-add and got the same reply that it was VMware that handled that, but since I don't have problems with snapshotting or hot-add when running daily backup, then I guess that things are generally fine. It was just when doing it each our that snapshots tend to stick and hot-add failed because of that.
rfn
Expert

Move jobs from Veeam server to another existing server

Veeam Logoby Daveyd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:25 pm

[merged]

I have 2 Veeam backup servers, 1 physical and 1 Virtual. I will be decomissioning the virtual server. I have 8 forward incremental jobs on the virtual server. Is there a way to move the jobs from the VM to the physical server and have the jobs pickup the incremental chain where it left off and keep the existing jobs on the physical server intact?
Daveyd
Expert

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Veeam Logoby Daveyd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:04 pm

From reading this thread, maybe I am a little confused here...but I need to move my jobs from an existing Veeam server to another existing Veeam server (VM) which already has a DB/jobs and have the jobs I am migrating pick up the incremental chain where they left off, as well as not mess with the existing jobs on the physical Veeam server
Daveyd
Expert

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi Dave, merging backup jobs into a single backup servers' database is not possible.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication