Oib already exists in point 'id=...'

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Veeam Logoby rhnb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Case: 5168898

Last night 2 VMs in 2 separate jobs failed with the error....

25/01/2012 00:28:45 :: Unable to truncate transaction logs. Error: KeepSnapshot error: [Freeze job already stopped.]

Subsequent retry's fail with the error...
25/01/2012 12:09:05 :: Error: Oib already exists in point 'id=xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx:type=Normal:alg=Increment:creation_time=24/01/2012 19:02:00'

I can back them up without using VSS.

I've looked at 'vssadmin list writers' and they're all showing as Stable, no errors on the vm's in question.
I've rebooted one of the servers - still no joy.

Anyone else seen this and know a solution?

Cheeers... allan.
rhnb
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Allan Nelson

Re: Oib already exists in point 'id=...'

Veeam Logoby rhnb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Just in case anyone else has this issue.
The answer from tech support was 're-create the job'.

Actually, I didn't do that in the end as it would have been a real PITA - affecting lots of other VM's.

So, I moved the offending VM to another folder in vCenter, then ran the job we use to backup that folder. All worked fine.
I could now remove the VM and re-register and put it back where it came from but I'll leave it where it is for now. I can move some stuff around to even up the job sizes/times. Luckily we use a DataDomain for our repository so retention of deleted VM's isn't an issue. We're seeing >90% de-duplication rate using that.
rhnb
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Allan, glad to hear you've found the resolution. But can you tell how would recreating a job affect the VMs? Did you consider to use backup files mapping to point the new job to the existing backup chain?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1142 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby rhnb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Interesting you should ask that foggy. I was wondering that myself, so I'd asked if it's the 'job' that's affected or the backup 'files' of that job. (I wanted to know if I moved that VM back to its original job it would now work or still fail), but I haven't had a reply yet.
If you can confirm the following, then I'm happy to try it...

Delete the job (lets call it MYJOB) - but leave the VBK files etc.
Create a new job (can I still call it MYJOB? or must it be a new name?) and then map the MYJOB.VBK/VBI files to it?
rhnb
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby JoshF » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:39 pm

When I had this, noticed deleting the offending VM from the chain seemed to do the trick..
JoshF
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Josh

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 am

rhnb wrote:I could now remove the VM and re-register and put it back where it came from but I'll leave it where it is for now.

I was wondering that myself, so I'd asked if it's the 'job' that's affected or the backup 'files' of that job. (I wanted to know if I moved that VM back to its original job it would now work or still fail), but I haven't had a reply yet.

Deleting VM from inventory and re-registering it in the VI is similar to job recreation procedure, as this VM gets new ID and is treated as a new one. The corresponding backup job will be successful after that, but a new backup chain will be created for this VM, unless you map this VM into existing backup files.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1160 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby rhnb » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:58 am

Thanks for all the help with this.
I'm happy to leave the VM in it's new home (job).
My main concern was that the original job/backups were somehow compromised now and I'd be better off trashing it anyway, but it would seem not.
rhnb
Enthusiast

Error: Oib already exists in point

Veeam Logoby trichert » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:44 pm

[merged]

I know there is another thread on this topic, but it has gotten severely off topic on making Veeam fix this bug in v6.

I've been running Veeam for 2 years, from esx 4 to esxi 4.1 to esxi 5. This error has never occured before Veeam v6, now it happens all the time. I got so fed up with it I took the stock answer of rebuild jobs, i deleted ALL my jobs and started them all over, initial full ran fine, on the first reversed incremental poof theres the error on one of my SQL server jobs. This is a problem in the Veeam software, and it needs to be fixed ASAP it is a critical flaw I am not sure why so many in these forums are accepting of answers like "rebuild the job" "remove the vm and readd it to inventory (which all redoes a full backup on that server". Can we get an ETA on what Veeam is doing to resolve this issue internally? Please? Thank you!
trichert
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Todd Richert

Re: Error: Oib already exists in point

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Todd, we have several issues reported regarding this error, but our QC could not confirm the issue internally. We still need additional info and if you could open the case and provide full logs for investigation, this would probably help us to localize the possible problem and fix the issue. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby k00laid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:34 pm

I've been running into this since upgrading to v6 as well. I'll get a case opened today.
k00laid
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Jim Jones

Veeam Logoby trichert » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:50 pm

We have an open case, and it has been very frustrating. Support treats us like this is a rare us only error and I know that is not the case which is why I brought it to these forums. First call was 'apply patch 2', next day same error, 'oh patch 3 came out last night that will fix it! apply that!' (obviously shooting completley in the dark, very annoying) apply patch 3 same error. We've sent logs, it happens consistently and only since v6.
trichert
Influencer

Full Name: Todd Richert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Todd, what is your case ID?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby CCB-IT » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:09 pm

I am also experiencing this error. I am opening a support case now. My biggest question is what the heck does it mean? And also, did the job actually backup anything on the VM generating the error?
CCB-IT
Novice

Full Name: CCB IT

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 am

OIB stands for object in backup. After the VM is being backed up, the logs truncation operation fails causing the job to perform a retry and backup this VM again (while it already exists in the backup file). Actually, we've managed to reproduce this and it will be addressed in one of the following updates. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Ben Milligan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 pm

You can workaround this issue for now by expanding the backup set, right-clicking on the problematic vm(s) and deleting from disk (This is also why removal from dynamic org folder did the trick). The next job run will run a full for that particular guest. To avoid this on non SQL/Exchange servers, just disable log truncation as it is not necessary. For SQL/Exchange, we'll need to ensure VSS is functioning properly for log truncation, if that is how you are leverage Veeam VSS in your restoration planning/process.
Ben Milligan
Veeam Software

Liked: 38 times

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication