Problem restoring files from windows file server

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Problem restoring files from windows file server

Veeam Logoby DanQcCa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:04 pm

I've been able to start the FLR, i cannot said how beacause i did to many thing. But i'm not able to restore a long file name with special character in it.
To use FLR, the network card must be in the same vlan as the Veeam Backup & Replication server, otherwise, the backup server will not be able to communicate with the FLR and you will received an error talking about ssh port 22.

My only option will be to restore VM hard disks, add it to a VM and take the file i need. Not tested...
DanQcCa
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: daniel marcotte

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:21 pm

DanQcCa wrote:My only option will be to restore VM hard disks, add it to a VM and take the file i need. Not tested...

Actually, you can simply perform an instant restore of the VM (to a new location), not powered on, and then attach the disk to a running VM to copy the files. That would probably be the fastest and simplest way.

I think you could also use a little trick with hardlinks when using a "regular" Veeam FLR, but I haven't tried this. I will setup a test in my lab.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1717 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby DanQcCa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:30 pm

I've been able to start the FLR, i cannot said how beacause i did to many thing. But i'm not able to restore a long file name with special character in it.
To use FLR, the network card must be in the same vlan as the Veeam Backup & Replication server, otherwise, the backup server will not be able to communicate with the FLR and you will received an error talking about ssh port 22.

My only option will be to restore VM hard disks, add it to a VM and take the file i need. Not tested...
DanQcCa
Novice

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:13 am 4 people like this post

In my testing I was able to simply use Windows Explorer instead of the Veeam File Browser to restore the file. I just tested this by created a very long/deep path. I then started the normal "Guest Files (Windows)" restore wizard and browsed to the file which caused the Veeam File Browser to error with the message noted above. At this point I opened Windows Explorer (while leaving the Veeam File Browser up) so that I could browse to C:\VeeamFLR\<servername>\<volume#\<biglongpath> and was able to copy the files out just fine. Have you tried this?
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1717 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby DanQcCa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:43 pm

tsightler you are the KING! Your solution worked. I just try it and i've been able to restore a too long path/file name from a windows 2003 replica.
I also try it from a backup and it worked also.

THANKS tsightler, you found a way to bypass the Veeam Backup Browser problem
DanQcCa
Novice

Veeam Logoby Devo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:24 pm

So come on Veeam, where is your fix to this :?:

your all to good at giving workarounds....surely this has gone on long enough?
Devo
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Deveson

Veeam Logoby Lorax » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:13 pm

tsightler - your workaround is by far the simplest. Thanks!
Lorax
Lurker

Full Name: Nathan Simkins

Veeam Logoby chris352 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:14 am

tsightler wrote:In my testing I was able to simply use Windows Explorer instead of the Veeam File Browser to restore the file. I just tested this by created a very long/deep path. I then started the normal "Guest Files (Windows)" restore wizard and browsed to the file which caused the Veeam File Browser to error with the message noted above. At this point I opened Windows Explorer (while leaving the Veeam File Browser up) so that I could browse to C:\VeeamFLR\<servername>\<volume#\<biglongpath> and was able to copy the files out just fine. Have you tried this?

Thank you so much!
chris352
Novice

Full Name: Chris Oleson

Veeam Logoby pbohlken » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:51 pm

On my environment the VeeamFLR is on the C: drive.

What i did is mount the VM

Restore succeeded -> browse thru c:\VeeamFLR\BACKUPJOB name\Volume3 -> to the TOO long path select files and copy those somewhere locally/network share

Then use something like totalcommander to mount/browse to wanted server/location with that too long path and paste the files.

Restore done with workaroound (but dont need to do like http://www.veeam.com/KB1459)
pbohlken
Lurker

Full Name: Peter Bohlken

Veeam Logoby BigMacNix » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi,

we have the same problem with long path names. The standard file or path restore to the orginal location is not possible if you have more then 259 caracters in the source or target path.
The work around from tsightler is working fine, but it is not great solution and so easy.

It is fixed in the new version 7?

Thank you!
BigMacNix
Lurker

Full Name: Christian Fröhlich

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:15 am

BigMacNix wrote:It is fixed in the new version 7?

Supposed to be fixed in v7.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1057 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby jamerson » Sun May 05, 2013 5:23 pm

i am on 6.1 applied all the patches ,no vail,
you guy having a kind of solution or just the word arround?
my company is thinking to move to Veeam, but i think will have to hold now, untill all is stable and i dont need to do any work arrond,
in the mean while Symantec exec is doing the job,
jamerson
Expert

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Julien

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun May 05, 2013 7:22 pm

This specific issue very long name file name issues should be addressed in 7.0...

By the way, the latest product version is 6.5, and I do recommend that you upgrade.
6.5 had some enhancements around file level recovery, in case your issue is different.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2318 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby jamerson » Sun May 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Gostev wrote:This specific issue very long name file name issues should be addressed in 7.0...

By the way, the latest product version is 6.5, and I do recommend that you upgrade.
6.5 had some enhancements around file level recovery, in case your issue is different.

i am sorry i am already on 6.5 i typed wrong,
when do we expect the version 7 ?
jamerson
Expert

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Julien

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon May 06, 2013 7:00 am

The version 7 is scheduled to come out in Q3 and it will have the abovementioned problem fixed.

For more information about version 7 and its new features kindly see the following page:

http://go.veeam.com/v7.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 937 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication