Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DanQcCa

Re: Problem restoring files from windows file server

Post by DanQcCa »

I've been able to start the FLR, i cannot said how beacause i did to many thing. But i'm not able to restore a long file name with special character in it.
To use FLR, the network card must be in the same vlan as the Veeam Backup & Replication server, otherwise, the backup server will not be able to communicate with the FLR and you will received an error talking about ssh port 22.

My only option will be to restore VM hard disks, add it to a VM and take the file i need. Not tested...
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

DanQcCa wrote:My only option will be to restore VM hard disks, add it to a VM and take the file i need. Not tested...
Actually, you can simply perform an instant restore of the VM (to a new location), not powered on, and then attach the disk to a running VM to copy the files. That would probably be the fastest and simplest way.

I think you could also use a little trick with hardlinks when using a "regular" Veeam FLR, but I haven't tried this. I will setup a test in my lab.
DanQcCa

Post by DanQcCa »

I've been able to start the FLR, i cannot said how beacause i did to many thing. But i'm not able to restore a long file name with special character in it.
To use FLR, the network card must be in the same vlan as the Veeam Backup & Replication server, otherwise, the backup server will not be able to communicate with the FLR and you will received an error talking about ssh port 22.

My only option will be to restore VM hard disks, add it to a VM and take the file i need. Not tested...
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 4 people like this post

In my testing I was able to simply use Windows Explorer instead of the Veeam File Browser to restore the file. I just tested this by created a very long/deep path. I then started the normal "Guest Files (Windows)" restore wizard and browsed to the file which caused the Veeam File Browser to error with the message noted above. At this point I opened Windows Explorer (while leaving the Veeam File Browser up) so that I could browse to C:\VeeamFLR\<servername>\<volume#\<biglongpath> and was able to copy the files out just fine. Have you tried this?
DanQcCa

Post by DanQcCa »

tsightler you are the KING! Your solution worked. I just try it and i've been able to restore a too long path/file name from a windows 2003 replica.
I also try it from a backup and it worked also.

THANKS tsightler, you found a way to bypass the Veeam Backup Browser problem
Devo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Deveson

Post by Devo »

So come on Veeam, where is your fix to this :?:

your all to good at giving workarounds....surely this has gone on long enough?
Lorax
Lurker
Full Name: Nathan Simkins

Post by Lorax »

tsightler - your workaround is by far the simplest. Thanks!
chris352
Novice
Full Name: Chris Oleson

Post by chris352 »

tsightler wrote:In my testing I was able to simply use Windows Explorer instead of the Veeam File Browser to restore the file. I just tested this by created a very long/deep path. I then started the normal "Guest Files (Windows)" restore wizard and browsed to the file which caused the Veeam File Browser to error with the message noted above. At this point I opened Windows Explorer (while leaving the Veeam File Browser up) so that I could browse to C:\VeeamFLR\<servername>\<volume#\<biglongpath> and was able to copy the files out just fine. Have you tried this?
Thank you so much!
pbohlken
Novice
Full Name: Peter Bohlken

Post by pbohlken »

On my environment the VeeamFLR is on the C: drive.

What i did is mount the VM

Restore succeeded -> browse thru c:\VeeamFLR\BACKUPJOB name\Volume3 -> to the TOO long path select files and copy those somewhere locally/network share

Then use something like totalcommander to mount/browse to wanted server/location with that too long path and paste the files.

Restore done with workaroound (but dont need to do like http://www.veeam.com/KB1459)
BigMacNix
Lurker
Full Name: Christian Fröhlich

Post by BigMacNix »

Hi,

we have the same problem with long path names. The standard file or path restore to the orginal location is not possible if you have more then 259 caracters in the source or target path.
The work around from tsightler is working fine, but it is not great solution and so easy.

It is fixed in the new version 7?

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

BigMacNix wrote:It is fixed in the new version 7?
Supposed to be fixed in v7.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

i am on 6.1 applied all the patches ,no vail,
you guy having a kind of solution or just the word arround?
my company is thinking to move to Veeam, but i think will have to hold now, untill all is stable and i dont need to do any work arrond,
in the mean while Symantec exec is doing the job,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This specific issue very long name file name issues should be addressed in 7.0...

By the way, the latest product version is 6.5, and I do recommend that you upgrade.
6.5 had some enhancements around file level recovery, in case your issue is different.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

Gostev wrote:This specific issue very long name file name issues should be addressed in 7.0...

By the way, the latest product version is 6.5, and I do recommend that you upgrade.
6.5 had some enhancements around file level recovery, in case your issue is different.
i am sorry i am already on 6.5 i typed wrong,
when do we expect the version 7 ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The version 7 is scheduled to come out in Q3 and it will have the abovementioned problem fixed.

For more information about version 7 and its new features kindly see the following page:

http://go.veeam.com/v7.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
sgatke
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Simon Gatke

[MERGED] Re: Problem restoring files from windows file serve

Post by sgatke »

Just to add us to the Veeam customers having issues with file level restores.
We are using Veeam in a HyperV environment.
When we Restore Guest Files (Windows), we are often hit by the "filename or path too long" error.
This happens even though the path is not *that* long.
It looks like the error happens because of the way Veeam mounts the backup: C:\Veeamflr\servername\volume{9015c908-6ba6-11e2-b24f-00155d961401}\...
When using such a long path to get to the backup files, we don't really need very long filenames or paths to our real date before we run into the limitation.

I understand this is supposed to be fixed in version 7, which we will be looking very much forward to.
deniZ
Novice
Full Name: ZUNO WINTEL

Post by deniZ »

v7 - restore works for long paths, hovewer option "Copy to" (from replica to anywhere you want) does not work which is a pity and I am very disappointed about that ...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Denis, are you stating that restore to original location works, however the Copy To option for the same file in the Backup Browser does not?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This was confirmed to be an issue (Copy To command not working for long paths). As a workaround, you can use any file browser that handles long names properly and get the required objects from the C:\VeeamFLR\VMName\VolumeX\ folder.
deniZ
Novice
Full Name: ZUNO WINTEL

Post by deniZ »

Alex,

you got the point - however I'd really like to use this feature as we are restoring files/dirs from file server replicas pretty often and I'd need to preserve timestamps, permissions etc - that's why it's really important to us. As workaround, I am using robocopy, but if Veeam team will fix that, I will be more than happy ( I bet I will be not alone :) )
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Sure, thanks for pointing this one out.
jedwards-lux
Novice
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED]:Restoring file share from VM to an alternative loca

Post by jedwards-lux »

Hello,

I need to restore an entire network share from a VM to a physical server. I was able to attempt a restore using the "Copy To:" command, however the process failed because of some of the very long path names for the files.
I can't use Explorer or another file copy program because a lot of the folders in this share are accessible to only one user (home folders). Even Domain Admins don't have rights to access these folders.

BackupExec, which we used before Veeam, was able to do this without difficulty. I could restore a share to any location, regardless of the length of paths or filenames.

Any thoughts as to what I can do?

Thanks

Jason
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Jason,

Please review the conversation above regarding your problem. Thank you.
jedwards-lux
Novice

Post by jedwards-lux »

Thanks, but I already had.

The suggestion was to use Explorer or Robocopy. Those won't work as the only account with access to many of the folders is the user themselves (Domain admins, local admins, etc... don't have access).

Is this something that is going to be fixed in the future? If Robocopy can do it, why can't Veeam?

Jason
jedwards-lux
Novice

Post by jedwards-lux » 1 person likes this post

I just solved my own problem:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... g-b-switch

Using the /b /zb switches works wonders.

Thanks,

Jason
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

jedwards-lux wrote:Is this something that is going to be fixed in the future? If Robocopy can do it, why can't Veeam?
Chances are this will be fixed in the next patch.
aliceten
Novice
Full Name: Alex Pablet

Post by aliceten »

For these kinds of issues, you can use Long Path Tool, it works good!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Copy To issue is fixed in 7.0 R2.
M4ximusX
Novice

Post by M4ximusX »

Hello.
We are using Veeam B&R Version 7.0.0.690 (licenced).

We have several backups...one backup (that I want to restore) is stored on an USB HDD. So I Importet the .vbm file into Veeam and tried to "restore guest files (Windows)".

When I said "copy to" I wanted to copy it to the path C:\ ...but the job failed with the message: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters

I just read the first page of this topic. But it didn't help.

So can you tell me how to workaround this issue? :?

Is there a chance to mount the backup file under Windows? It is very important to me (as always when restoring files ^^).

Kind regards!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please install the Veeam B&R 7.0 R2 update resolving this issue. Thanks.