Problem restoring files from windows file server

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Problem restoring files from windows file server

Veeam Logoby skukkis » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:48 am

Hello.

Support case is: 5164473

We cannot restore files from win 2003/2008 server, where files and/or file path names are long ("very long")

Error message:
=====================================================================================
The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 288 characters.
=====================================================================================
Anyone experienced the same and found a solution for this - except restoring the whole vm?

Version 6.0.0.153
skukkis
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Hans Jørgen Skukkestad

Re: Problem restoring files from windows file server

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 am

Hans,

Not sure about initial error, as debug log investigation is required, but as a workaround you may want to try using Instant VM Recovery to restore files you need.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1070 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby skukkis » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Vitaly,

There are no initial error - (that I can see). And I'm using a work around - but it's too time consuming...

But if this is "by design", that Veeam can't restore files with long path/ file names, we can't continue using the product, and we will go back to Symantec.

So, is this by design, or is there a problem with my servers?

Regards
Hans
skukkis
Novice

Veeam Logoby Sethbartlett » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 pm

This is a Microsoft limitation that they still have not addressed on a max of 256-260 characters for a path/file. You might actually be able to get the files doing other-OS restore also with FTP and copying the files over.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Sethbartlett
Expert

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Veeam Logoby skukkis » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 pm

ok. Thank's Sethbartlett.

Regards
Hans
skukkis
Novice

Veeam Logoby mdornfeld » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:14 pm

I just ran into this issue as well. Had to use robocopy to move the files. Wondering if it might have something to do with the fact that Veeam6 now mounts the server under a hill of UNC (c:\users\user_name\appdata\etc\etc...) to begin with in the new version instead of under a drive letter like in V5.
mdornfeld
Expert

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Matt

Veeam Logoby pcmmitham » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 pm

I found a workaround to the problem. I changed my environmental variables to get around the problem.

have a look at this article: http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_change_the_location_of_windows_temporary_files.html

I simply changed the location of the TEMP folder to c:\temp and the location of the tmp folder to c:\tmp for me that alone cuts out nearly 30 characters from the source filename\path. Its a bit "dirty" and I'm not excited about it, but it did resolve the issue for me!

its not 100% but it seems to cover 95%+ of my issue with this long filename problem
pcmmitham
Influencer

Full Name: Pierre Mitham

Restore - File path reported as being too long

Veeam Logoby Sbaker81 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:22 am

[merged]

OK so I'm trying to restore some files from a previous backup. I'm doing this as "Restore Guest Files (Windows)".

I can see the directory I want but when I try to run the restore I get the message "The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters".

Now this threw me a bit at first because I know that the file path in question is less than the specified limits. However upon re-reading I took in the section stating "The fully qualified name must be less than 260 characters".

This represents a problem because with the fully qualified name the file length jumps up by something like 30 characters.

Now this is probably a very long shot but is their anyway to get it to use IP address instead of FQDN?

Running Veeam 6.0
Sbaker81
Lurker

Veeam Logoby mongie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:36 am

It was way easier in V5, you could change the folder names in windows explorer and make it "under" 260 characters and then copy it from windows explorer just fine.
mongie
Expert

Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:04 am

Based on the feedback we have received, mounting FLR volumes as drives for interactive file level restores will be brought back in the next release.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1052 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby mdornfeld » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Thank you Foggy.
mdornfeld
Expert

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Matt

Veeam Logoby howesh » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Do we know when the next release will be? The not having drive letters is hindering my restores.
howesh
Novice

Full Name: Harry Howes

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:46 pm

In another thread Anton wrote 6.1 is expected for Q2 2012, but since we do not know the complete lists of new features and fixes it will have, a final answer will be available only when 6.1 will be out in the wild.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1280 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby emachabert » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:25 am

I agree this is a must have feature.
This morning one of my client called me because he was unable to restore a directory (Path too long).

So I tried using "other OS guest file" but then I faced another issue (path length wasn't an issue anymore), as we are french we use accents, and Veeam can't restore file with accent when using "Other guest os".
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Vanguard 2015,2016,2017
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:02 am

This should be addressed in 6.1
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2301 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev