Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
skukkis

Problem restoring files from windows file server

Post by skukkis »

Hello.

Support case is: 5164473

We cannot restore files from win 2003/2008 server, where files and/or file path names are long ("very long")

Error message:
=====================================================================================
The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 288 characters.
=====================================================================================
Anyone experienced the same and found a solution for this - except restoring the whole vm?

Version 6.0.0.153
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Problem restoring files from windows file server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hans,

Not sure about initial error, as debug log investigation is required, but as a workaround you may want to try using Instant VM Recovery to restore files you need.

Thanks!
skukkis

Post by skukkis »

Vitaly,

There are no initial error - (that I can see). And I'm using a work around - but it's too time consuming...

But if this is "by design", that Veeam can't restore files with long path/ file names, we can't continue using the product, and we will go back to Symantec.

So, is this by design, or is there a problem with my servers?

Regards
Hans
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

This is a Microsoft limitation that they still have not addressed on a max of 256-260 characters for a path/file. You might actually be able to get the files doing other-OS restore also with FTP and copying the files over.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
skukkis

Post by skukkis »

ok. Thank's Sethbartlett.

Regards
Hans
mdornfeld
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Matt

Post by mdornfeld »

I just ran into this issue as well. Had to use robocopy to move the files. Wondering if it might have something to do with the fact that Veeam6 now mounts the server under a hill of UNC (c:\users\user_name\appdata\etc\etc...) to begin with in the new version instead of under a drive letter like in V5.
pcmmitham
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Pierre Mitham

Post by pcmmitham »

I found a workaround to the problem. I changed my environmental variables to get around the problem.

have a look at this article: http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_change_the_ ... files.html

I simply changed the location of the TEMP folder to c:\temp and the location of the tmp folder to c:\tmp for me that alone cuts out nearly 30 characters from the source filename\path. Its a bit "dirty" and I'm not excited about it, but it did resolve the issue for me!

its not 100% but it seems to cover 95%+ of my issue with this long filename problem
Sbaker81
Lurker

Restore - File path reported as being too long

Post by Sbaker81 »

[merged]

OK so I'm trying to restore some files from a previous backup. I'm doing this as "Restore Guest Files (Windows)".

I can see the directory I want but when I try to run the restore I get the message "The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters".

Now this threw me a bit at first because I know that the file path in question is less than the specified limits. However upon re-reading I took in the section stating "The fully qualified name must be less than 260 characters".

This represents a problem because with the fully qualified name the file length jumps up by something like 30 characters.

Now this is probably a very long shot but is their anyway to get it to use IP address instead of FQDN?

Running Veeam 6.0
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie »

It was way easier in V5, you could change the folder names in windows explorer and make it "under" 260 characters and then copy it from windows explorer just fine.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Based on the feedback we have received, mounting FLR volumes as drives for interactive file level restores will be brought back in the next release.
mdornfeld
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Matt

Post by mdornfeld »

Thank you Foggy.
howesh
Novice
Full Name: Harry Howes

Post by howesh »

Do we know when the next release will be? The not having drive letters is hindering my restores.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

In another thread Anton wrote 6.1 is expected for Q2 2012, but since we do not know the complete lists of new features and fixes it will have, a final answer will be available only when 6.1 will be out in the wild.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

I agree this is a must have feature.
This morning one of my client called me because he was unable to restore a directory (Path too long).

So I tried using "other OS guest file" but then I faced another issue (path length wasn't an issue anymore), as we are french we use accents, and Veeam can't restore file with accent when using "Other guest os".
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This should be addressed in 6.1
Vidas
Novice

Post by Vidas »

Sethbartlett wrote:This is a Microsoft limitation that they still have not addressed on a max of 256-260 characters for a path/file. You might actually be able to get the files doing other-OS restore also with FTP and copying the files over.
Why? My FILE is 67 chr long, PATH is 158 chr long.
I have same lenghts in veem backup browser with difference C: in veem and G: in server. And get 2 errors restoring guest files:

1.could not find 'FILE'
Veem backup browser don't show the content of PATH. The content of directory is empty. No one file in directory view.

2.The specified path....... 260......248...
This error occure when i copy full directory. Shorter FILE are copied from PATH to destination without problem. Longer FILE are ignored. My example is 158+67=225 char long. Virtual server name is 7 char long.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please contact our support team for assistance with your first error message, as further debug log investigation might be required. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Vidas wrote:My example is 158+67=225 char long
Plus the length of temporary folder where backup content is mounted - and you are over Microsoft limitation. I recommend upgrading to 6.1, as it uses much shorter mount path for interactive restores.
Vidas
Novice

Post by Vidas »

Gostev wrote: Plus the length of temporary folder where backup content is mounted - and you are over Microsoft limitation. I recommend upgrading to 6.1, as it uses much shorter mount path for interactive restores.
No problems. I'll run this script daily:

Code: Select all

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
objStartFolder = "C:\share" + "\"

Set objRootFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(objStartFolder)
For Each rootDir in objRootFolder.SubFolders
   klaiduFailas = rootDir.Path + "\file_path_erros.txt"
   if objFSO.FileExists(klaiduFailas)=true then
	objFSO.DeleteFile klaiduFailas
   end if
   ShowSubfolders objFSO.GetFolder(rootDir), klaiduFailas
Next

CONST ForAppending = 8
CONST filePathIlgis = 245
Sub ShowSubFolders(Folder, klaiduFailas)
    Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(Folder.Path)
    Set colFiles = objFolder.Files
    For Each objFile in colFiles
	filePath = Folder.Path + "\" + objFile.Name
        if len(filePath) > filePathIlgis then
            Set ObjFile = ObjFso.OpenTextFile (klaiduFailas, ForAppending, True) 
            ObjFile.WriteLine("filePath " & (len(filePath) - filePathIlgis) & " lenght error: " & filePath)
	    ObjFile.Close
        end if
    Next

For Each Subfolder in Folder.SubFolders
        ShowSubFolders Subfolder, klaiduFailas
    Next
End Sub
MSc
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Martin Schenker

Post by MSc »

We still have this problem under Veeam6.1 on a customer system. Running a user directory restore results in:

"...the qualified Filename must be shorter than 260 chars and the pathname must be shorter than 248 chars..." (loose translation from a German system call)

Are there any settings to be changed or altered?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

How are you performing the restore with 6.1?
rvnieuwh
Lurker
Full Name: Richard van Nieuwenhuizen

Post by rvnieuwh »

At have the same issue.
Made a call with Veeam.
They said, in short, works as designed and is a Windows limitation.

Tried "Guest Files (Windows)" and "Guest Files (Other OS)".

With first option we get the filename/path length limitation error.
With second option files with special characters (like ë) in the name are not restored.

Veeam suggests a workaround by doing an Instant Recovery. http://www.veeam.com/KB1459
MartijnV
Novice
Full Name: Martijn Verkuijlen

File level restore

Post by MartijnV »

[merged]

I have a fileserver with long named files (users write to a share, causing the full path on the server to exceed the Windows maximum of 250 (or whatever the max is :P) ).
This makes it impossible to restore the files with Windows File level restore option.
The other OS guest file restore option does not have this limitation, however some of the files have non unicode characters which can not be read by the FLR appliance and thus can not be restored.

Is it possible to add character sets to the appliance, or is it possible to restore the files in some way other than restoring the complete server or disk that contains the files?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore problem with German umlauts in filenames

Post by foggy »

Martijn, what Veeam B&R version are you using? If it is v6, then I would recommend upgrading to v6.1 as it uses much shorter mount path for interactive restores than v6 and could decrease the probability of exceeding the 260 characters path limit in Windows.

Otherwise, you can use one of the workarounds described above. Thanks!
wksantiago
Enthusiast
Full Name: William K. Santiago

Post by wksantiago »

We have v6.1.0.181 (32 bit) and are having the same problem.
Is there another patch?
Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You have 6.1 RTM code. Yes, there is a patch for version 6.1, please see sticky topic in this very forum.
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

Hi Anton/ Vit ;)

Even with V6.1.0.205 the issue is still there ..here is the scenario........

Made Full Backup.... copied it to a USB drive.....plugged usb into a new server...i wanted to mount the *.vbk and copy the files to a new share on a windows 2008 server.... and i got the same error

"The specified path,file name, or both are too long. The full qualified file name must be less than 260 charachters, and the directory name must be less than 248 charaacters"

If this is a windows limitation then ill try with Backup Exec 2012 to get round it in this instance........ remember i cant use other o/s option as this is a stand alone windows server i want to copy the file too.

thanks

Trev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Trevor, I'm not sure there is any other workaround for this Windows limitation, except for using much shorter mount path for interactive restores which we have already implemented in 6.1.
DanQcCa

Post by DanQcCa »

Problem always present with V6.5.0.106 (64 bit)

from a replica or a backup, Restore guest files (Windows)
Just browsing a too long directory cause the message to appear. Max of 260 - 248 characters. Unable to see what is in that directory. I need to restore a directory one level bellow, then Veeam will restore file and folder but not restore the long name. But other short file will be restored.

From a replica, Restore guest files (Other OS)
I can browse and restore file to a local directory on the backup server. File name with special caracter like à é are not restored. This is a method to bypass the problem.

From a backup, Restore guest files (Other OS), I cannot use this option because my backup file are not on the same host as my source host. Backup are on a NAS. I received this error message "Mount host is not specified for backup repository "QNAP""

I cannot create on a XP or Windows Server 2003 a folder longuer than around 257 characters. It stop me. Or a very long folder (240) and a too long file name (25). It is not possible to create directly on the server a too long file name/directory.

BUT if i create 5 folder that give a total of 240 characters on the server. Then share the last folder. From a user computer, I connect to this shared folder, I will be able to create a file name longuer than 25 or more characters. This is the way for a file/directory to be too long.

It's a huge problem because it's not a safe way for me (and nobody) to do backup with Veeam Backup & Replication V6.5.0.106 (64 bit) and not be able to restore some file or folder! I now need to said to my boss : I cannot restore every file and folder. The answer will be : find a product that will be able to restore EVERY FILES.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

DanQcCa wrote:From a backup, Restore guest files (Other OS), I cannot use this option because my backup file are not on the same host as my source host. Backup are on a NAS. I received this error message "Mount host is not specified for backup repository "QNAP""
There is no such requirement for the "Other OS" FLR wizard, so your setup shouldn't be an issue. Please investigate this problem with our support team.