Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nestorius
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: reha gunduz

Re: If Veeam Backup Server Corrupts

Post by nestorius » Dec 17, 2018 8:20 am

If my physical server corrupt. Can I recover my replicas via new server ?

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software
Liked: 637 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » Dec 17, 2018 8:46 am

You mean Veeam VM replicas.
Yes, you can install B&R in a new server than import the config backup and from there you can replicate the VMs or failover again.

If you do not have the B&R Server at all, you can just start the VMs in the vcenter/esxi console. All restore points are kept as Snapshots. The only thing that you loose with this manual approach is that you can not failback the VM with Veeam then to original. But you can then treat the VM as a new VM and replicate it to any server including the original one.

nestorius
Influencer

Post by nestorius » Dec 17, 2018 11:03 am

As I understand, I can start my replica vm as original vm, not failover-failback. Is this true ?

DGrinev
Veeam Software
Liked: 201 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev » Dec 17, 2018 12:02 pm 1 person likes this post

Any snapshot can be used to fire up a VM within vCenter or ESXi console, since the replica retains in a snapshot format, you can use it to register a VM as a new one (replacing the original if needed).
However, as Andreas wrote in the previous post, you will not be able to utilize failover-failback mechanism. Thanks!

nestorius
Influencer

Post by nestorius » Dec 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks guys, all for yours useful informations...

mkaec
Expert
Liked: 72 times
Full Name: Marc K

Re: What is the best way of protecting the Veeam Backup server?

Post by mkaec » Dec 21, 2018 8:24 pm 2 people like this post

That's a very good design choice that the metadata is in the backup files. I recently found out that a trendy competitor doesn't do that and if you lose your backup server configuration, all the backup files are useless.

iburnell
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ian Burnell

[MERGED] Server Resiliency

Post by iburnell » Jan 26, 2019 10:33 am 1 person likes this post

I've inherited Veeam setup. We are located at Site A and most servers have been put into a Data Center - lets call it site B. Setup is Physical server running Veeam Backup and Replication console at Site A and Virtual Proxies at each site using attached MSA storage for disk backups and tape units at both sites with their own media pools

Have been asked question about what happens if our office (Site A with Physical Veeam Server) goes down i.e. resilience to move to a DR site and still use Veeam

Thanks

P.Tide
Product Manager
Liked: 443 times

Post by P.Tide » Jan 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Ian,

Kindly check considerations in this thread. These two resources are also worth looking at:

- BP guide
- KB article

Thanks!

cbraafhart
Novice
Full Name: Christopher Braafhart

[MERGED] Redundant Backup Server.

Post by cbraafhart » Jun 03, 2019 1:12 pm

Dear Community,

I am currently setting up a new backup environment using B&R 9.5 Update 4a and a question popped up in my head as followed:
If my current backup server, which handles all my current schedules, is offline are my backups being created?

And this immediately made me started to think on a redundant solution. What i would like to create is the following:

I have 2 Backup servers(VM) that have identical backup schedules for the sole purpose if one crashes or dies or gets corrupted the other one would kick in immediately without the problem of backups not being created due to the scheduler not sending the schedules to the designated servers.

Is this possible and how?

Thank you in advanced for any suggestions.

lmbutault
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Louis-Marie BUTAULT

Re: Redundant Backup Server.

Post by lmbutault » Jun 03, 2019 1:56 pm

one solution could be to have proxy and repository roles on two physical boxes and run central server inside a VM.
That VM cloud be on external cluster or on local hyper-v (inside the box), clustered or réplicatged with veeam between two physical boxes.

regards

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1512 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi Christopher, you can use configuration backup for that purpose. Please see above for details. Thanks!

barrell
Influencer
Full Name: Lee Barrell

[MERGED] Components required for remote site backup and restore

Post by barrell » Jun 11, 2019 10:07 am

Hi All

I've read a ton of post's and asked a couple of questions re Veeam B&R but sill can't fully understand the full solution. I have a 2 node ESXi cluster at Site-A that I wish to install Veeam B&R. This will be used to to copy data to Site-B over the WAN. I plan to run vMotion on the two node cluster and provide adequate resources to move VM's within this cluster to cover local redundancy.

If this cluster sustains a failure and the VM's are corrupt how do I restore from the remote site as my Veeam B&R will be installed as an appliance on Site-A cluster that is now down? Is this achieved using Veeam console on a local workstation at Site-A?

My original post for the minimum set of requirements is here vmware-vsphere-f24/minimum-componets-fo ... 59622.html

The model I now plan to use is as follows. One other question on the remote server, is this storage only or will I have to match the CPU/RAM of my ESXi cluster to cover the VM's being backed up? So in effect run ESXi at the remote site (not sure there is any benefit to this, possibly overthinking things?).

Many thanks.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1512 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi Lee, please review this thread for the possible ways of addressing your scenario. Thanks!