Veeam ONE vNEXT feedback/wishlist

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Re: Veeam ONE v6 feedback/wishlist

Veeam Logoby Karl-Heinz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Karl,

Welcome to Veeam Community forums and thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Currently if you would like to see multiple objects in the same performance report, I would suggest using Custom Performance report that does you give you such flexibility.

Thank you.

Hm, not really. Even in a customized dashboard (Example: VMWare performance | Top VMs read latency) I am fixed to 10 VMs, not customizable. The "View full report" option even then does not give me the option to choose more then one VM, and the report itself (Action | create report) only gives me the virtual machine performance data charts, but no latency charts.
Inside veeam one monitor I can have this list as chart and table (Infrastructure View | Datastores , Disk I/O, Stack by: virtual machines, Chart view: Datastore read latency, Period: last week), but how do I print this?

Thanks
Karl-Heinz
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Karl-Heinz Hildebrandt

Veeam Logoby Karl-Heinz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi,

I would like to have an addition for the report "oversized virtual machines":

Show us the oversized disks, so that we know about wasted disk space inside the VMs.

Thanks Karl-Heinz
Karl-Heinz
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Karl-Heinz wrote:Hm, not really. Even in a customized dashboard (Example: VMWare performance | Top VMs read latency) I am fixed to 10 VMs, not customizable.

I'm not referring to a custom dashboard, you need to navigate to Workspace tab -> Templates -> and choose VMware Custom Performance.
Karl-Heinz wrote:Show us the oversized disks, so that we know about wasted disk space inside the VMs.

Would you like to compare the capacity of created disk partitions vs. virtual disk capacity or "wasted space" is something else?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Karl-Heinz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:41 am

Karl-Heinz wrote:Show us the oversized disks, so that we know about wasted disk space inside the VMs.

Would you like to compare the capacity of created disk partitions vs. virtual disk capacity or "wasted space" is something else?

Hello and sorry, did not explain correctly.

What I would like to have:

Customer wants a virtual machine with 100 GB diskspace, but in the end uses much less. If I could see this in "VMWare Oversized virtual Machines" (used disk space vs. given disk space inside the VM) it would be nice.

Thanks
Karl-Heinz
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:32 am

Karl, so basically you're looking for the wasted space (the sum of blocks marked as "deleted") inside the VM to compare this value with used disk space from the VM perspective, right?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Karl-Heinz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Karl, so basically you're looking for the wasted space (the sum of blocks marked as "deleted") inside the VM to compare this value with used disk space from the VM perspective, right?

Hi,

In veeam ONE reporter workspace you deliver a page, which shows me the Oversized Virtual Machines with CPU and Memory (peak and average) usage. When there could be columns concerning disk space (peak, average, now used), I could see VMs with oversized/overallocated disks. Those blocks inside the VM are not nesessarily deleted, maybe even "never used", but from VM perspective the blocks are assigned. I am no friend of thin provisioning, so I prefer giving the space which is needed from the beginning, instead of hoping the place on the datastores will be sufficient in the future.

Thanks
Karl-Heinz
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks for clarifications.

I didn't realize we were talking about thick disks. If you want to see "virtual disk used space" vs. "used disk space inside the VM", you can navigate to Custom Infrastructure report, choose Virtual Machine as an object and then add these columns to the report: Name, Partition: Capacity Total, Partition: Free space, Virtual Disk: Size Total, Virtual Disk: Size.

This should give you the report you need.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby gittings » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Jake, have you had a chance to review our web-based "Datastore" dashboard as it basically "repeats" and extends everything what we had in v5? Thanks!

My Datastore view returns with No data available. Is this because I have ESX 4.1?
gittings
Novice

Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:54 pm

I doubt that. Could you please tell me if you see any datastore data in Monitor Client?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby gittings » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 pm

I see datastore issues, but all of the performance statistics return with no data available.
gittings
Novice

Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Then it's better to contact our support team and let them investigate your debug logs files. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby MustQ » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:31 pm

VeeamOne does not seem to be compatible with SureBackup. When I run a SureBackup job, an alarm is generated because there is a momentary time where there is a "duplicate MAC address". Selecting to "suppress" the alarm during a "Veeam backup operation" does not stop this alarm from happening.
MustQ
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ryan Young

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Yes, you're right. Veeam Backup operation is only "aware" about backup jobs, but thanks for the feedback!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tietzjd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:43 am

VeeamOne needs to report on B&R and be fully awere of it too. I would also like to see report on the size and expected growth rate of my backups to plan bandwidth for cross datacenter backups.
tietzjd
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe Tietz

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:14 am

Hi Joe,

You would like to have some kind of capacity planning report for your backup repositories, correct? What about other reports? If you could share your ideas, that would help us to deliver these reports a lot faster :)

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam ONE