Influencer

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: SFPP

Re: 8.0 - Disable VMware Tools not found warning

Veeam Logoby topgunx11 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:04 pm

sfpp wrote:And another two:

my old #00803552 (2015-Feb-19 !!!)

and a new #00963441 (today)

This is a big and bad issues introduced with Veeam 8.
Have you thought to downgrade to Veeam 7?
This is ridiculous , I know.. but this is imposed by Veeam
topgunx11
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby sfpp » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:05 am

Up Up... People help us to fix this issues introduced with Veeam 8

Regards
sfpp
Influencer

Veeam Logoby sfpp » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:22 pm

Why Veeam team is not able or interested to fix this simple bug introduced with Veeam 8?
One "-if- or -case-" into a function for fix it and make us happy.
Why we need to pay for support?
Regards
PS: This is strange but I have never seen anything implemented by Veeam about reports and problems :cry: :cry: :cry:
sfpp
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:09 pm

sfpp wrote:This is strange but I have never seen anything implemented by Veeam about reports and problems :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wow, are you serious right now? :shock:
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby sfpp » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:28 pm

Hello Gostev,
yes... Unfortunately...
Veeam is a great software but the support/fix/implementation is not efficient for me.
This case is a simple example or check my other case...(by support and not forum)
Regards
sfpp
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:48 pm 1 person likes this post

sfpp wrote:support/fix/implementation is not efficient for me.
This case is a simple example or check my other case

Well, one thing you do have to understand is that this software is not developed for you specifically (or anyone else in particular). We don't do custom development - we build a box product for over 157,000 customers to use. Based, on latest virtualization statistics from top analyst firms, we estimate to be protecting about 20% of virtual machines in the world. So, as you can imagine, there are hundreds of enhancements requests being submitted by our users, and each of these enhancement must be prioritized somehow. And of course, the only fair way to do this is by the amount of requests.

In other words, yes - you should not expect that YOUR specific requests will be immediately addressed - unless our support has dozens of similar requests... otherwise, the priority will be given to those enhancement requests why are backed by large amount of support cases from multiple customers. Obviously, we cannot deliver everything at once - we must pick and choose.

Now, regarding this specific case. As I've already mentioned earlier in this topic, this specific request simply did not generate enough support cases to be considered for inclusion in the update. Keep in mind that enhancements and fixes selection for product updates is driven solely by our support engineers - they tell us exactly what must be fixed ASAP, and what can wait - and they base this decision on the amount of support cases open on the corresponding problem.

Other than that, I can assure that all we did at Veeam for the past 8 years was listening to our users and addressing their needs, requests and problems. So, saying that "I have never seen anything implemented by Veeam about reports and problems" is like saying that Veeam did not have a single product release in the past 8 years. Because EVERY feature we ever released was based on feedback from our users.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby sfpp » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:19 pm

Gostev wrote:Well, one thing you do have to understand is that this software is not developed for you specifically (or anyone else in particular). We don't do custom development

Sure!
But this issue was introduced with Veeam 8!
Version 7 work correcty.... and in this case this is not a "special development but a FIX request".

Gostev wrote:In other words, yes - you should not expect that YOUR specific requests will be immediately addressed

Immediately? ..Sure, i know.. this post/case was open about 1 Year ago! Check it..

Gostev wrote:Now, regarding this specific case. As I've already mentioned earlier in this topic, this specific request simply did not generate enough support cases to be considered for inclusion in the update.

This statement is really bad for someone who regularly pays support

Looking at the code i'm sure this is a simple fix (about 1 minutes for disable warning or about 10 min for introduce a "special flag/variable" for disable/fix it)
There is a function for check if VMware is running, but not updated, if it's not running, if it's not present, etc...
Changing the "type of output (case)" in case of "VMware Tools not found state" the fix is done!

Thanks to Veeam support

Regards
sfpp
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:48 am

sfpp wrote:But this issue was introduced with Veeam 8!
Version 7 work correcty.... and in this case this is not a "special development but a FIX request".

Perhaps you did not read this thread carefully before commenting. As explained on the first page, this change was intentional (based on actual requests from your fellow users). It is not a "bug" we introduced in v8 that must be "fixed". Rather, it was a response to large amount of issues while processing VMs without VMware Tools that our customers faced.

Gostev wrote:Immediately? ..Sure, i know.. this post/case was open about 1 Year ago! Check it.

Checked and first post was 9 months ago. We did not have new releases after that - only updates. For which, as explained earlier, the feature set is determined by support based on the amount of support case. And that is, by the way, with over 80,000 users having already upgraded to v8. There must be sufficient amount of support cases open to justify the inclusion in an update - as opposed to the next release.

Gostev wrote:Looking at the code i'm sure this is a simple fix (about 1 minutes for disable warning or about 10 min for introduce a "special flag/variable" for disable/fix it).

We don't do fixes or enhancements just because they are simple. There are probably hundreds of those pending that would fall under the above definition perfectly. We only deliver the top ones, that are most requested. You are missing the fact that every change may potentially affect many other functionality, so even a 10 minute code change may require days of testing, and even more days of fixing stuff it breaks (and then re-testing). For example, if other functionality starts to throw unexplainable error message due to this change, or just plain fail due to lack of VMware Tools - we need to go back and introduce new error handles with new error messages all over the place. And again, as I already mentioned earlier in this post - these many issues were actually the very reason for this change in v8! Finally, another consideration is that as soon as we add any functionality, we need to support it forever (re-test with every release), which immediately doubles the amount of related test scenario.

As you can probably see by now, it is never a "10 minutes" solution. This is exactly why we don't do fixes or enhancements just because they are simple. Nevertheless, what you are saying regarding is actually very typical misconception, as software development is nothing close to how it looks for those who were never involved in one...

But regardless, one thing you can be sure of with Veeam, is that any enhancement request will be addressed eventually - based on its relative priority, that is in turned defined by the amount of support cases. This is why we always invite people to open a support case first and foremost for any technical issue they are experiencing - we want to track the actual need in the bigger picture, across the entire customer base.

By the way, just wanted to explicitly note that I am not "arguing" with you, in case if it comes across as such - I am just trying to be 100% transparent and clear on how everything works at Veeam, so as to set the correct expectations on your end.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby sfpp » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:53 am 6 people like this post

Hello Gostev and all Veeam user!

Today we are happy.... :D

Veeam Backup & Replication 8.0 Update 3
http://www.veeam.com/kb2068

Code: Select all
Added ability to convert "VMware Tools not found" job warning to informational event. To enable this behavior, set DisableVMwareToolsNotFoundWarning (REG_DWORD) registry value to 1.

Adding DisableVMwareToolsNotFoundWarning to "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication" it solved our warning/iusse!

Thanks again to the Team!

:D
sfpp
Influencer

Veeam Logoby jdgs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:20 am

Great news! :D :D

Allows us now to see much more clearly where actual problems exist for some VMs!
jdgs
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jack

Veeam Logoby rreed » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Hey this is great, but where do we apply the registry fix please? (Veeam server, proxies, etc?)
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
rreed
Expert

Liked: 72 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Should be applied on the backup server. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby serg38 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks Veeam for listening to our request. It works perfectly. Since U3 Release notes doesn't have detailed instructions on how to add it registry you can save the following lines as a .reg file and import in to Backup andRecovery server(s)

Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication]
"DisableVMwareToolsNotFoundWarning"=dword:00000001
serg38
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Sergey

Veeam Logoby stevenrodenburg1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Well, it's not working for me...

I installed Patch 3 and implemented the registry-fix but i still get these "Cannot use VMware Tools quiescence because VMware Tools are not running." warnings, causing the entire backup-job to end with a warning.

I have a separate job for a whole bunch of Virtual Appliances. They are all Linux based and one of them, a Teradici PCoIP Management appliance, simply has no VMtools in it. The option "Enable VMware tools quiescence" is enabled for the job.
This appliance is backed-up fine but always ends with the before mentioned warning. All the other appliances are shipped with VMware tools in them and trigger no warnings.

Am i doing something wrong or do i have an incorrect expectation?
I triple-checked if the Reg.key is written correctly and is in the right place etc. and it all checks out. I rebooted the backup-master-server twice out of sheer desperation (ok, drama-queen alert) but all to no avail.
stevenrodenburg1
Expert

Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere