Backup Replicate vCenter VM?

VMware specific discussions

Re: Back up vCenter VM?

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Small update on this:

Here is the script (courtesy of Ron Brown) that identifies where the vCenter Database server is running and changes the backup job to reflect the new location automatically.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby odge » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm really suprised Veeam hasn't built this into their own workaround, to mark the server as a vCenter host, and allow it to find the ESXi host directly for the commands.

1. I want a application consistent backup of my vCenter
2. I want Veeam to find it for me, and not have to keep modifying a backup to match the host it is currently on.

These things seem simple to me for your developers... and a common problem which most people will run into, especially now that virtualising the vCenter server is becoming more and more common. People used to think it was vCenter doing the HA... I heard this from a Virtualisation consultant from the biggest IT company in our country... had to laugh! But I think now, generally its proliferated as a common option to save costs, and increase redundancy. (You can always have replicas of it lying around for emergencies anyhow!).

Just my two cents worth.
odge
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Matthew Ogden

Veeam Logoby romwarrior » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:45 pm

turmoil wrote:So to put it in layman’s terms:
1. Under Servers, add the ESX host (by IP address) that hosts the vCenter server VM.
2. Edit/create the vCenter backup job. Remove vCenter server if editing existing job.
3. Click to add a server.
4. When browsing for the vCenter server, make sure you add the vCenter server from the ESX host and NOT from vCenter.

When I try to add the ESX host via IP, it says that it already exists in the database. My vCenter server is listed in VBR by its IP, and so are the two hosts that it is controlling (including the one I am trying to add directly). Any ideas?
romwarrior
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Brett

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:29 am

In this case add your ESX hosts via hostname, should work.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby romwarrior » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:24 pm

I like simple fixes. That worked. Thanks.
romwarrior
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Brett

Veeam Logoby habibalby » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:14 am

Solution for this is to Add the host where the vCenter VM is running and create the job pointing to that host. This solve the my problem while I'm trying to backup vCenter and I'm trying to pull the vCenter from the vCenter object itself in Veeam Backup.

Hope Veeam is going to release a fix for this soon.
habibalby
Expert

Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Veeam Logoby pcrebe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am

Hello,
maibe i've understood what create the VSS freeze time out ALSO if i add the vCenterVM directly from the Host in my backup job:
- i've add in the Server list 3 hosts via IP end the vCenter via IP too, in this case the job fails if i check VSS aware option
- if i remove the vCenter IP from the B&R console leaving only the 3 Hosts the work works fine with VSS

I think that VEEAM should work to create a good procedur to backup vCenterVM because in the future, not so far, all vCenter will be VM.

IMHO
Carlo
pcrebe
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Veeam Logoby larry » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:34 pm

I set Veeam to not use vss for the VC vm and just pick the VM the normal way. I have a daily task that runs before the VC VM backup that copies the VC database. It has work every time for me.

below is a bat file
@Echo Off

REM Set All=%date:~4,2%%date:~7,2%%date:~10,4%%
REM Use above to keep one every day for ever

Set All=%date:~7,2%
Rem Use above to keep just 30 days

REM Echo %ALL%
SQLCMD -S VC-GROTON\SQLEXP_VIM -E -Q "BACKUP DATABASE VIM_VCDB TO DISK='C:\VC-DB-backup\VCBackupdb_%All%.bak' WITH FORMAT"

rem Exit

The SQLCMD comes with SQL express and the full MS SQL. When you load the SQL Server Management it loads it. You will want this to do a restore anyway.

To resore you just restore the VM as is, then restore the VC database with SQL server management. ( test many times works fine takes only 5 minutes. )
larry
Expert

Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Veeam Logoby pcrebe » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks Larry,

i've implemented your .bat with this line for users that have also Update Manager and Veeam Backup on the same vCenterVM

@Echo Off

REM Set All=%date:~4,2%%date:~7,2%%date:~10,4%%
REM Use above to keep one every day for ever

Set All=%date:~7,2%
Rem Use above to keep just 30 days

REM Echo %ALL%

SQLCMD -S vcenterNAME\SQLEXP_VIM -E -Q "BACKUP DATABASE VIM_VCDB TO DISK='C:\db_backup\VCBackupdb_%All%.bak' WITH FORMAT"
SQLCMD -S vcenterNAME\SQLEXP_VIM -E -Q "BACKUP DATABASE VIM_UMDB TO DISK='C:\db_backup\UMBackupdb_%All%.bak' WITH FORMAT"
SQLCMD -S vcenterNAME\VEEAM -E -Q "BACKUP DATABASE VeeamBackup TO DISK='C:\db_backup\VEEAMBackupdb_%All%.bak' WITH FORMAT"

rem Exit

if someone like more a UI could use the programs i've find at http://www.sqlbackupandftp.com it's free for only 2 db and not expensive for more because has nice options.

How can i zip the files because in 30 days the risk is consume many Gb of disk?

Anyway i think that VEEAM shoud fix the problem.
IMHO

Bye,
Carlo
pcrebe
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Replica failed on vCenter server

Veeam Logoby mtcitalia » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:19 pm

[merged]

Hi to all,
As the title object, we have a replica process failure during the vcenter replica. Follow the error:

Freezing guest operating system
VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout

Do you have any idea about the problem. All other virtual machine were backup correctly.

thank you.

Stefano.
mtcitalia
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Stefano Landucci

Re: Backup Replicate vCenter VM?

Veeam Logoby JZTOR » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:30 am

In other words, here are two possible ways to make it work:
1.If you added your ESXi hosts to VMware cluster by DNS names (recommended) than you need to add the ESXi host to Veeam system by IP address.
2.If you have your ESXi hosts in VC/Cluster as IP addresses, you need using the host’s DNS name when you adding server to Veeam backup system.
Cheers.
JZTOR
Service Provider

Full Name: Joseph Zinguer

vCenter 5.0 Best Practice for Replication

Veeam Logoby rangertodd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:07 am

[merged]

I haven't seen any documentation as it relates to what the best practice is for replicating vCenter to an offsite location. I don't know if there are any issues with this, if the primary site had problems or not. If you don't have VMware vCenter heartbeat or third party software, would there be issues with freezing with VSS or VMtools quiescence? Would there be issues if your only replicating once a day, do you need a constant heartbeat or SQL replication for vCenter to function properly under a disaster scenario? I'm currently running Veeam Version 6. Thanks for any help and guidance.
rangertodd
Lurker

Full Name: Todd Mace

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:15 am 1 person likes this post

Here is another thread you should take a look: HOWTO: Backing up vCenter host issues
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bmeyer99 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:16 am

Since path 3 for B&R fixed

"Issue 5
Application-aware processing fails for SQL server where Veeam configuration database is located."

Is there anything with that resolution that would assist with the vCenter server?
Brandon Meyer - ProPartner in Chicago, IL
Ex-Veeam employee
bmeyer99
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Brandon Meyer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:21 am

No. The quoted issue is totally unrelated.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere