Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

Discussions specific to VMware vSphere hypervisor

Re: Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:29 pm

I believe the support team has a PS script that changes vCenter reference inside the product database. So, it might be worth contacting them. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1036 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby gccit » Thu May 01, 2014 1:43 pm

It really would be great if there was a way to map VMs between an old and new vCenter. (I think) I understand why it's so problematic for Veeam - registering VMs to a new vCenter generates new vmid/moref's and probably breaks CBT as well. At least in my case - I don't really care about a temporary spike in space needed to store backups - take a new full and keep on going - no problem. I'd just like to be able to run a script and match up VMs (by name?) so that the existing jobs and retention periods stay intact and Veeam can appropriate manage the aging out of those backups.

In my specific case today, I'm looking to move from Windows-based vCenter install to the appliance version, so migrating the database just isn't an option.

Surely there's a way...
gccit
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: GCC

Veeam Logoby cgreentx » Thu May 01, 2014 2:27 pm

We are in the same boat at multiple clients. After version upgrades through many versions of vSphere, 5.5 brings the desire to move to the virtual appliance. Moving to a fresh database breaks our Veeam Backup and requires us to start completely from scratch. It seems that even having a simple re-map tool to match up the backups to VM's in the fresh vCenter should be completely feasible, even if it required a full re-scan to compare.
cgreentx
Lurker

Full Name: Chris Green

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri May 02, 2014 7:53 am

Guys, have you contacted support to request the script mentioned by Vladimir above? Not 100% sure it is applicable to the described scenario, but worth a try.

Anyway, thank you thank you for the feedback.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1139 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri May 02, 2014 8:22 am

Hi Chris,

Just out of curiosity - why did you migrate your installation to vCenter Server appliance? For me it creates additional issues with backup and brings no visibility in what is going on inside the appliance, I'm not a Linux guy at all..

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1157 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby gccit » Sat May 03, 2014 2:11 pm

The script mentioned wouldn't help. Anytime a host is registered to a new vCenter, all associated VMs get new IDs in inventory. These are the references Veeam uses to identify the VM in a job.

As far as why the appliance... That's really outside the scope of the topic here. This ID/inventory issue is a problem for anyone moving to a new vCenter - regardless of platform - and there are plenty of documented cases for why one might need/want to do this on occasion.

Just for fun though, I'll play along... The upgrade process for vCenter continues to get more and more convoluted. The appliance makes it easy. For the SMB segment, when we're only managing a handful of hosts and < 100 VMs, the appliance just makes sense. I don't need any "visibility" - I just need it to work.
gccit
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 pm

The script mentioned wouldn't help. Anytime a host is registered to a new vCenter, all associated VMs get new IDs in inventory. These are the references Veeam uses to identify the VM in a job.

As far as I'm aware, this is the exact use case the mentioned script has been designed for. So, it's certainly worth contacting support team. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby gccit » Tue May 06, 2014 2:03 pm

OK - I've opened a ticket to investigate this. Tier 1 claims to know nothing about said script, so they are passing to Tier 2. Hopefully I'll find someone soon who knows how to get it to me.
gccit
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue May 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Can you provide the ticket number, so that, I can track the case and hopefully have the right person chime in? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby spgsit5upport » Thu May 08, 2014 10:50 am

Upgraded my VC 5 to 5.5, but on a different server (copied DB)

So technically it is VC upgrade. hence I expected all VMs IDs to be the same

But VC object in Veeam changed (different name/different IP) - I could not use alias route - http://vninja.net/virtualization/preser ... g-vcenter/, as the original VC server is still being used for different live purposes)

So I edited the jobs, removing VMs & adding the same VMs from new vCenter

But strangely each job now runs as "new" taking no notice of what is already in repository

Which mostly does not matter, apart from one job that is 5 Tb & takes ~ 30 hours to couplet first time round

Anybody any suggestions?

Seb
spgsit5upport
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Seb

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 am

spgsit5upport wrote:So I edited the jobs, removing VMs & adding the same VMs from new vCenter

But strangely each job now runs as "new" taking no notice of what is already in repository

Seb, have you mapped the jobs to existing backup files after re-adding VMs?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1139 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby VER » Thu May 08, 2014 11:27 am

Same problem over here, Tier 1 knows nothing about a script and says that it isn't possible. My case id is #00563517
VER
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Wouter

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu May 08, 2014 11:42 am

According to the case, your problem seems to be slightly different to the one discussed above. You don't want to move VMs to a new VC, but rather to change VC FQDN. Support team has PS solutions for both problems.

Anyway, I've asked the support engineer who is aware of the said solutions to take over your case.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby VER » Thu May 08, 2014 11:53 am

v.Eremin wrote:According to the case, your problem seems to be slightly different to the one discussed above. You don't want to move VMs to a new VC, but rather to change VC FQDN. Support team has PS solutions for both problems.

Anyway, I've asked the support engineer who is aware of the said solutions to take over your case.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Thanks!
VER
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Wouter

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu May 08, 2014 12:12 pm

You're welcome. Let me know if additional assistance is needed. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere