Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

VMware specific discussions

Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

Veeam Logoby slidek9 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi,
We are in the process to changing our virtual center. I have been looking at how well Veeam handles this kind of change; the sort answer is it does not support this and we need to re-populate all of the backups and off-site replications.
The issue is I cannot use the backups that were taken from the old virtual center, as seeds to re-populate the new replicas at the DR site. So the uuIDs are the same and the VMDKs are the same, is just that in the new virtual center all of the host-ids, storage-ids and VMids have changed; this metadata is recorded in the .vbm files for each backup.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any joy in editing the .vbm files so they can import a backup from the old virtual center but Veeam thinks it is from the new virtual center. The .vbm file is just XML and I am sure if certain sections are updated to reflect the new VC-ids then the import and seeding would work. Not 100% sure though if change block tracking gets reset though when you import a host into a new virtual center.

- L :?:
slidek9
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Leon

Re: Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

Veeam Logoby vmbackupuser » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Changing the vCenter server configured in Veeam:

1. The simplest option perhaps is to have a local Hosts file (or DNS) entry for the original servername.

2. Alternatively, there is a 2-line script: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8482&p=43206&hilit=change+ip+of+vcenter+hosts#p43206

3. Ideally, this should be GUI option in the next release. Simplicity & minimalism :)
vmbackupuser
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:22 pm

slidek9 wrote:Hi,
We are in the process to changing our virtual center. I have been looking at how well Veeam handles this kind of change; the sort answer is it does not support this and we need to re-populate all of the backups and off-site replications.
The issue is I cannot use the backups that were taken from the old virtual center, as seeds to re-populate the new replicas at the DR site. So the uuIDs are the same and the VMDKs are the same, is just that in the new virtual center all of the host-ids, storage-ids and VMids have changed; this metadata is recorded in the .vbm files for each backup.

So if you're referring to replication, why not just use replica mapping? Sure the first pass will require a scan to build new hashes, but only changes will be copied across the wire.

For backups it's the same, just use backup mapping. The first pass will have to read the entire VMDK, but any blocks that are already in the backup will not actually be copied.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1759 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:41 pm

tsightler wrote:So if you're referring to replication, why not just use replica mapping? Sure the first pass will require a scan to build new hashes, but only changes will be copied across the wire.

For backups it's the same, just use backup mapping. The first pass will have to read the entire VMDK, but any blocks that are already in the backup will not actually be copied.

I'm afraid it will not work, as I've tried to reproduce this scenario in my lab and during the backup job a new image was created due to different moref ID in backup metadata files.

As to the replication job, if you do this, it will wipe out all previous incremental points (as far as I correctly recall it).
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1117 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:I'm afraid it will not work, as I've tried to reproduce this scenario in my lab and during the backup job a new image was created due to different moref ID in backup metadata files.

What do you mean an new image was created? A new VBK? I've certainly seen the behavior you describe when mapping backups across Veeam servers, which isn't supported, but not when simply the moref ID changes. Yes the VM must be scanned as a full backup, since it's technically a new VM, but dedupe keeps the blocks from being written. I've not tested with when moving across vCenters, but I've run across this quite a few times with standalone ESX when the moRef ID's change due to external causes. It's interesting that you've seen different behavior.

Vitaliy S. wrote:As to the replication job, if you do this, it will wipe out all previous incremental points (as far as I correctly recall it).

Agreed, but the OP indicated he wanted to use them as "seeds". Seeds typically don't have incremental points so I didn't see this as an issue.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:30 pm

tsightler wrote:What do you mean an new image was created? A new VBK?

I had two VMs listed under the same backup job when I navigated to the backup node. I will double-check that once again tomorrow.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1117 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:55 pm

In my case it is also two VMs under the job and the full size VIB file is created after backup mapping:
VBK: 3,028,878KB
VIB: 3,028,878KB
(the VM was turned off)
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1094 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:45 pm

I would expect two copies of the VM to show in the backup as technically it is correct that it is a new VM. The "old" VM would be subject to the deleted VM retention period and then would fall out of the job.

Right, I would expect the large VIB with incremental mode since you can only deduplicate within a single file (there's no deduplication between the VBK and VIB files, only within each VBK and VIB). I guess I was assuming reverse incremental as, with this mode, all of the blocks from the "second" VM would already be in the VBK and thus would be "deduped" . Performing a full backing of up a nearly identical VM would not appreciably increase the size of the VBK in this case. With incrementals the next full, whether created with a synthetic or a active full backup should create a file that returns to the original size, so the cost is simply that of one singe full backup of each VM. If your not using reverse incremental, then you expect to have to run a full every now and then anyway, so you should already be sized for that possibility.
tsightler
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Moving vCenter's

Veeam Logoby stevil » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:30 am

I did a search of this topic but couldn't find anything particularly up-to-date.

My question is, we need to move several smaller vCenters to a consolidated central site vCenter. Is there an easy way of having Veeam pick up these changes?
The first one we did took a couple of hours of reconfiguration, we basically had to start again with new replication jobs, I'm assuming the backup (due to run tonight) will see all the regular VM's as 'new' VM's since they are say on a new vCenter. We don't want to go through this again if we can help it :)

Cheers
stevil
Enthusiast

Full Name: Steve Buckley

[MERGED] Move 2 backup jobs and one replication to vCenter

Veeam Logoby chrisknight » Wed May 02, 2012 11:59 pm

Hello,
I have one ESXi 4.1 server where I have 2 iSCSI boxes tied in. There are 10 VM's running and I have 2 NAS boxes on the network too where I send backups. I backup all 10 VM's every other week night to every other NAS box. There are 2 backup jobs to backup all 10 VM's running every other night. On Sunday, I have a 3rd job, a replication job that replicates all 10 VM's to the 2nd iSCSI box. There are never any VM's running on the 2nd iSCSI. Just sent the replications there just in case.

We are now adding vCenter and another ESXi 4.1 host to take advantage of HA and to split the load of each ESXi 4.1 server in half. So I will have 5 VM's running on ESXi-1 and 5 VM's running on ESXi-2. I know I need to disconnect the ESXi-1 from Veeam and then add vCenter but how can I tie in the existing backup and replication data to the new jobs? I kinda want to lay out a step by step before I do this in 2 weeks.
I'm thinking:
1. Delete both backup jobs and the 1 replication job.
2. Disconnect ESXi-1 from Veeam.
3. Tie in vCenter to Veeam.
This is where I need some direction. I don't really want to start all over with new backup data if I already have good data. Can someone help out with some best practices? I still want to have the same 2 backup jobs every other night and the replication job to the 2nd iSCSI on Sunday.

Thank you,
Chris Knight
chrisknight
Influencer

Full Name: Chris Knight

Re: Move 2 backup jobs and one replication to vCenter

Veeam Logoby chrisknight » Thu May 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Not sure why I was merged here. I'm not moving vCenter servers. I'm coming off of a single ESXi host moving into a vCenter.
chrisknight
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu May 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Same thing. This will cause VM refID to change, technically making your VM a new VM, just like when moving vCenter. Read the discussion above, specifically comments from Vitaly and Tom.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2361 times

Veeam Logoby chrisknight » Fri May 04, 2012 11:56 pm

So the answer is that this can not be done. When I disconnect the single ESXi host, that makes the jobs invalid. When I add the new vCenter to Veeam, I have to create new new jobs which will cause all new backup files to be created. Correct?
chrisknight
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat May 05, 2012 12:28 am

Correct.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2361 times

Veeam Logoby deduplicat3d » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Is there no way to have the DB changed in Veeam to make the VM's show up under one name instead of two. i.e. consolidate it so instead of seeing a list
vm01
vm01
vm02
vm02

you just see
vm01
vm02
deduplicat3d
Enthusiast

Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Corey

Next