Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: 0 Directories and 0 files backed up successfully

Post by veremin »

The root cause of your issue seems to be a little bit different - VB&R is waiting for a new tape, even though, the proper one is already inserted. As mentioned in the adjacent thread, this issue should be fixed in the patch#3.

Thanks.
horst
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by horst »

when will be the realse of the next (third) patch?
the painfully state for me is now that the copy to tape job ran wihtout problems every day, befor I installed the R2a Update. Now I`m not able to save my backups/files to the tapes any more... :roll:
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Were there any environmental changes, apart from new version installation? Thanks.
horst
Enthusiast

Post by horst »

no, I only installed the patch
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, the best way will be to keep working with our support, as sometimes changes that affect backup/virtual infrastructure might slip unnoticed. And they won't be revealed until deep log analyzing.

Thanks.
horst
Enthusiast

Post by horst » 1 person likes this post

good news! After the Veeam technician called me yesterday he advised me to change the retention of my media tape pool from "do not protect data" to "protect data for 1 day". Both settings have same effect for me respectively for my daily copy to tape job. But the result was that last night the copy job ran as it should and saved my data to the tape. Hopefully it will do so ne next days, too :D
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear that you're up and running now. Also, thank you for coming back and updating the topic with the found resolution; much appreciated.
martin-j
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Johansen

Post by martin-j »

Hi v.Eremin

Regarding your suggestions:

1. The state of the libray has not come offline. It says: Name: Drive 256 (Tape0), Model: IBM Ultrium 4 3580 tape driver, State: Empty. Doing backup the tapes are mounted.
2. The drivers are upgraded from Symantec Backup Exec to IBM drivers from the 14-8-2013 version 6.2.3.8 for the tape drive. For the Medium Changer also a driver from IBM from the 14-8-2013 and driververion 6.2.3.8. And I do not have any eventlog errors on the device.
3. Productversion. It is running 7.0.0.771 and that should be the R2 version.

I have however been able to backup some data. But newer on command. I cannot start an Active Full backup to tape of the job, that is grayed out. A manual Start always result in a success with "0 directories and 0 files backed up successfully" and I cannot use that for anything. I can see the backupfiles saved to our harddrive.

Any help would be aprisiated.

Martin
martin-j
Novice
Full Name: Martin Johansen

Post by martin-j »

Just read horst's reply.

I my case the retention is set to 1 month for the full backup and for the daily 1 week. There is free space and tapes availeble in each media pools. Also there is tapes in the Free pool.

Regards, Martin
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

I just wanted to double-check that everyone in this thread is aware of patch 3 release. The issue described above was marked as fixed so, please, everyone who faced such problems install the last available patch 3. You can download it here. The reports from support cases are so far so good, but feel free to leave heads up in this thread as well. Thank you.
Bobr
Novice
Full Name: Bob

Post by Bobr »

I had the same problem with one job. Just installed the latetst patch. We will see i've it's been fixed.

But also have another problem.

We are running 3 backup jobs to disk.

Daily 1 to disk --> Backup job to tape 1 & 2 (only daily 1 to disk is written to tape)
Daily 2 to disk --> Backup job to tape 1 & 2 (this one is not written to tape)
Daily 3 to disk --> Backup job to tape 3 (another tape unit)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Bobr wrote:But also have another problem.
Could you please elaborate on the problem you have, Bob?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

And if it is a different problem, then please create a separate topic (and don't forget to include the support case ID). Thanks!
Bobr
Novice

Post by Bobr »

sorry,

but with the latest patch we have got still the same problem

Backup to tape job: Backup to Tape Job 3 (Full/Incremental)

0 of 0 backups processed
donderdag 27 februari 2014 22:01:25
Success 0 Start time 22:01:25 Total size 0,0 KB
Warning 0 End time 22:01:28 Data read 0,0 KB
Error 0 Duration 0:00:03 Transferred 0,0 KB
Details
Name Status Start time End time Size Read Transferred Duration Details

Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0.0.833

When i run it manualy there is no problem and it works fine.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So, if the backup to tape job is executed manually, the backup data does get archived, right? What type of schedule do the backup to tape jobs have? Thanks.
Bobr
Novice

Post by Bobr »

Yes it does.

The backup to tape job is configured as secondary job in the backup to disk job.
It's scheduled to run after the backup to disk job is ready
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The situation looks unexpected, since no matter how the job is started (manually or automatically) there shouldn't be any differences. Feel free to open a ticket with our support team. Thanks.
Bobr
Novice

Post by Bobr »

This is the warning in the job

27-2-2014 22:11:10 :: Backup file \\DD640-CIFS\B2D\Veeam\Dagelijks 1\Dagelijks 12014-02-27T210121.vib on This server requires retry, postponing.
27-2-2014 22:11:10 :: There is nothing to backup.
27-2-2014 22:11:10 :: Job finished at 27-2-2014 22:11:10

seems like the file is not ready to backup?

But you can't select a retry for a backup to 2 job?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Bob,
According to QA department this issue was fixed based of customer’s feedback to support, however, it was very device specific. In order to get appropriate solution – please contact to our support team. Thank you.
Bobr
Novice

Post by Bobr »

Ok i will make a support call for it.

for your information the customer uses a Datadomain for disk backup and 2 HP MSL 2024 loaders (G3 Series 5.0.0)
Drivers are from HP and the version is: 1.0.7.1
Tapes are LTO 4
kennocha
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stephen Carter

Post by kennocha »

Just submitted 00618572, I am experiencing the same sporadically.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi Stephen, I'm wondering what product version you're using. Is it the first job run or not? If it's sub sequential run, can you confirm that files have been copied already to tape mediums? Thanks.
kennocha
Enthusiast

Post by kennocha »

Sorry, didn't catch the update reply.

I am running 7.0.0.871, and it is a job that has been ran often, and is triggered by the completition of the VMware cluster.

There would be nothing copied since the job literally just completed. It couldn't transfer the files to tape before the files are even written to disk.

If it can, Veeam is fancier than I thought!
kennocha
Enthusiast

Post by kennocha »

Engineer on phone said its related to this, and that a bug report is filed but no ETA on any fixes.

Code: Select all

[16.08.2014 04:23:10] <01> Error    Library does not contain any enabled tape drive. (System.Exception)
[16.08.2014 04:23:10] <01> Error       at Veeam.Tape.Core.TapeJobContext.LockTapeDrive(TapeLibrary library, IXmlLogger logger, Nullable`1 mediaPoolId, Nullable`1 mediaTapeId)
[16.08.2014 04:23:10] <01> Error       at Veeam.Tape.Core.TapeJobContext.GetTapeDriveLock(Guid libraryId, IXmlLogger logger, Nullable`1 mediaPoolId, Nullable`1 mediaTapeId)
[16.08.2014 04:23:10] <01> Error       at Veeam.Tape.Core.TapeJobContext.LockMediaPoolAndDrive(MediaPool mediaPool, IXmlLogger logger)
[16.08.2014 04:23:10] <01> Error       at Veeam.Tape.Core.TapeBackupTaskPerformerBase.PrepareResources(MediaPool mediaPool)
[16.08.2014 04:23:10] <01> Error       at Veeam.Tape.Core.VmTapeBackupTaskPerformer.Backup()
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

kennocha wrote:I am running 7.0.0.871, and it is a job that has been ran often, and is triggered by the completition of the VMware cluster.
Can you elaborate on what schedule settings are specified for a backup to tape job? As new backup files appear? After backup job? Thanks.
kennocha
Enthusiast

Post by kennocha »

The job is triggered upon the completion of the other job.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The referenced error suggests that something is wrong with the drive detection mechanism. Can you confirm that drives are reflected properly in both Windows Device Manager and VB&R console? Also, with version 8 in similar situations we will provide more descriptive error message, instead of outputting somewhat confusing "0 directories...". Thanks.
kennocha
Enthusiast

Post by kennocha »

Yep, all drivers are up to date, and works 95% of the time. Just some days it will not.

Engineer on our case did say he found a bug reporting the same as we have, but nothing beyond that. If you want to poke around in it you are welcome to as well. I have two identical environments, Veeam configured the exact same, both failing ocasionally.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

According to our QA guys, the mentioned error most likely indicates that tape drives have dissociated from tape library or some other low-level device problem. The sporadic nature of the issue just confirms it - something happens on low-level with the device, as the result, tape job fails. May be the tape library has sort of logging system, using which you can find the root cause of this behavior? Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

To summarize:
Yep, all drivers are up to date, and works 95% of the time.
That’s the root of the problem; once the drive got disconnected by any reason( for example physical malfunctioning, disconnection from the library, locking by other software) from VBR would fail with the error "Library does not contain any enabled tape drive. (System.Exception)".
Engineer on phone said its related to this, and that a bug report is filed but no ETA on any fixes.
The issue or bug from our side is that this error could be found only in the Job Log, but is not displayed in the VBR console. Instead you got “0 Directories and 0 files backed up successfully” which does not correctly indicate what happened – as you can get the same error when no new restore points were created and backup to tape job completed with nothing to backup. Problem with logging is the known issue, which is going to be fixed in next release – we sorted out several cases (like this) that require additional care.

Stephen,
As Vladimir said - you need to check the connection of the tape drive device to the VBR server, and identify why it’s sporadically going offline.