Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
scottf99
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott

Source backup file has different block size

Post by scottf99 »

Me again.
Since upgrading to V8 I cant get a new Backup Copy to run. I always get "Source backup file has different block size. Expected block size:1024, actual (backup name:*backup job name*, block size 256).

This happens if I try to add a backup copy to any of my existing jobs. I cant work out what to do.

Cheers
Scott
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Source backup file has different block size

Post by tsightler »

Sounds like your jobs are mostly configured to use "WAN" optimization instead of "Local". You can't mix jobs with two different optimizations into the same Backup Copy. However, if you've somehow already run a backup copy and the interval expired or otherwise ended (perhaps by triggering a "force sync") I've seen cases where the Backup Copy transfers nothing at all, but creates the metadata file assuming 1M blocks so future runs will fail with this message.

It should be possible to recover from this situation by disabling the Backup Copy job, going to the Backups and right clicking and selecting "Delete from disk" to delete any backups associated with that backup copy job, but be sure to also check the "Remove archived backups" option. Note that this will DELETE all information from the disk associated with that Backup Copy job so only do this if you know there is nothing in the Backup Copy you want to keep.

Just reenable the copy job and don't interrupt it until it starts copying data (don't do a force sync or anything like that). If data won't start copying on the first pass without selecting "force sync" then you need to understand why as selecting force sync will likely cause the error to reoccur.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Just to add to that, we have had the same restriction around mixing different block sizes in v7 as well, so this is nothing specific to v8.
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

. . . but using a backup job as a replication source also has this restriction, which is new to v8. I've been bitten by that, and I haven't taken the time to figure out how to fix it yet.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ted, have you tried just to change the corresponding setting (Storage optimization) in the replication job?
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

I haven't really tried anything. Changing to the backup job as the source also causes the digests to be re-calculated, so I need to change it over slowly. Just haven't had the time yet.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

Does the *backup* job have to be set to WAN optimization? Right now I get the error and:

the backup job is set to High compression, Local target optimization.
the replication job is set to High compression, there is no choice for optimization.
obroni
Service Provider
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nick Fisk

Post by obroni » 4 people like this post

If you need to change the replication block size:-

1. Set the replication job back to source vm
2. Change Block size (optimization) to match backup job
3. Run replication job and wait for it to recalc digests
4. Finally set Replication job back to source of back up job

I've been through this only to discover that a long running replication job is aborted if the backup job runs again. Would have been better if it just queued.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

Took me awhile to figure it out. What kept messing me up is that for replication jobs, the Optimization choice (which corresponds to block size) IS NOT VISIBLE when the source is a backup job. Hence obroni's instructions to change back to source vm.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

You can also try to change block size without changing the source type of replication job, using the following commandlet; might do the trick:

Code: Select all

$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "Backup Job 1"
$Options = $Job.GetOptions()
$Options.BackupStorageOptions.StgBlockSize = "New value"
$Job.SetOptions($Options)
Thanks.
briguyiu
Enthusiast
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

[MERGED] : Changing replication jobs to source from backup

Post by briguyiu »

One of the new features I was really excited for was utilizing the source backup for replication jobs vs. creating a new snapshot etc. I switched them last week, and am now getting this warning Restore point is located in backup file with a different block size (512KB expected). My backup repositories aren't VMFS LUNS, they are RDM's directly to the SAN. I'm assuming this is the reason for the warning, since the destination is VMFS5, and RMD's aren't formatted with VMFS. I don't think the job is actually completing either, as the last creation time is before I made the source change. Is the only way to fix this to change the RDM's to VMFS LUNS with the same format?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The said error means that source backup job uses different block size. For more information, kindly, check answers provided above. Thanks.
briguyiu
Enthusiast

Post by briguyiu »

All of my searches came up with backup copy jobs I thought....sorry for overlooking this one. So, since my backup repositories are RDM's and 512kb, is there any kind of workaround, other than making my repositories VMFS5 with 1MB block sizes, like the destination data stores at the DR site? I didn't fully understand obroni's second step, as I don't see any storage optimization options on job settings other than LAN/WAN/Local Targets.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The only thing that matters is the block size selected in the settings of source backup job (repository type does not matter).

You should follow procedure described by obroni. Most likely, now you don't see storage optimization settings, because you haven't specified VM as source (step number 1).

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, VMFS block size is not related to this problem.
briguyiu
Enthusiast

Post by briguyiu »

I did the first step, I just don't see anything related to block size here in the replication job???

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You're at the right place. See these instructions on the first page from obroni:
obroni wrote:If you need to change the replication block size:-

Hope this helps!
briguyiu
Enthusiast

Post by briguyiu »

Oh, ok. I thought I would see something with the words block size. I just checked my backup jobs and they all have Local Target...So, I'll do the same for my replication jobs and let them run tonight, and then switch the source tomorrow. Thanks!
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

If you have the disk space available, you can instead change the backup job to match the block size (Optimization) of the replication job. BUT you have to then run an active full backup to actually change the block size (hence the need for disk space).
dspjones
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

[MERGED] : v8 - Replication issue

Post by dspjones »

We've installed v8 several weeks ago and unfortunately other issues have prevented me from doing much else with Veeam. Finally I have some time to delve into the new features and I set our replication job from replicating the live environment to replicating from backup over WAN optimization. It seems to work but all of the servers now show a warning in the job.

I get this:

WARNING: A restore point is located in backup file with a different block size (xxxx KB expected)

What's going on and how do I resolve?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Your post has been merged into existing discussion talking about the same issue. Kindly, check answers provided above. In nutshell, you have to change block size settings of replication job to match those of backup job.

Thanks.
fluxblocker
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Samuel L Sanders Jr

Post by fluxblocker » 1 person likes this post

I got this same error message when trying to replicate the backup jobs to a DR site. I was able to fix it by deleting and recreating the replication job. Also recommended to delete any replica VMs in the DR site with the same name.

:evil:
Best,
Flux
TheJourney
Influencer
Full Name: Sam Journagan

Post by TheJourney » 1 person likes this post

The Replication jobs don't error and fail. They are just set to Warning, but have actually failed. I had no idea they were not actually running, until I needed one...

NOT GOOD!
TheJourney
Influencer

Post by TheJourney »

obroni wrote:If you need to change the replication block size:-

This did not help my issue. Replication jobs still fail.
TheJourney
Influencer

Post by TheJourney »

fluxblocker wrote:I got this same error message when trying to replicate the backup jobs to a DR site. I was able to fix it by deleting and recreating the replication job. Also recommended to delete any replica VMs in the DR site with the same name.

:evil:
Best,
Flux
I had to delete the Failing replication jobs and recreate them as well. My system was an upgrade from 7.x.

Sam.
TheJourney
Influencer

Post by TheJourney »

I actually only had to del the Replicas, not the jobs. After deleting the replicas the jobs run as they should.
Felix
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Felix Buenemann

Post by Felix » 1 person likes this post

I had the same problem, because the block size autodetection for copy jobs is faulty. All my source backup jobs had blocksize 1024 (LAN target optimization), but some of them had older restorepoints that were made with blocksize 512 (Default/Local target), so the autodetection assumed blocksize 512 and copy jobs failed.

To fix it I disabled the copy job, removed the jobs backup files from disk, went into PowerShell and did the following:

Code: Select all

$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "USB Backup Copy"
$Options = $Job.GetOptions()
$Options.BackupStorageOptions.StgBlockSize = "KbBlockSize1024"
$job.SetOptions($Options)
After that I re-enabled the copy job and on the second run it started working.

This would be much easier to fix if the copy job options allowed to manually set the storage optimization.
tommyv
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tom Vernon

Post by tommyv »

FYI, I had this issue running a copy job from one DataDomain to another DataDomain. I followed tsightler's procedure and it fixed the problem. I suspect its because the original backup job storage optimization setting was changed and there is no way of updating the optimization in the copy job. Thanks for the help. :D
tsightler wrote:Sounds like your jobs are mostly configured to use "WAN" optimization instead of "Local". You can't mix jobs with two different optimizations into the same Backup Copy. However, if you've somehow already run a backup copy and the interval expired or otherwise ended (perhaps by triggering a "force sync") I've seen cases where the Backup Copy transfers nothing at all, but creates the metadata file assuming 1M blocks so future runs will fail with this message.

It should be possible to recover from this situation by disabling the Backup Copy job, going to the Backups and right clicking and selecting "Delete from disk" to delete any backups associated with that backup copy job, but be sure to also check the "Remove archived backups" option. Note that this will DELETE all information from the disk associated with that Backup Copy job so only do this if you know there is nothing in the Backup Copy you want to keep.

Just reenable the copy job and don't interrupt it until it starts copying data (don't do a force sync or anything like that). If data won't start copying on the first pass without selecting "force sync" then you need to understand why as selecting force sync will likely cause the error to reoccur.
Felix
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Felix Buenemann

Post by Felix »

I think the problem is, that a job still reports the block size it was originally created with instead of the block size it currently uses. I have jobs that don't have a single restore point with an older block size, but querying StgBlockSize through powershell still reports the old block size so creating copy jobs for those jobs fail.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Felix wrote:I think the problem is, that a job still reports the block size it was originally created with instead of the block size it currently uses. I have jobs that don't have a single restore point with an older block size, but querying StgBlockSize through powershell still reports the old block size so creating copy jobs for those jobs fail.
Any chance you've populated the backup copy job from backups/infrastructure (as opposed to selecting particular backup jobs)?