Source backup file has different block size

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Source backup file has different block size

Veeam Logoby scottf99 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:20 pm

Me again.
Since upgrading to V8 I cant get a new Backup Copy to run. I always get "Source backup file has different block size. Expected block size:1024, actual (backup name:*backup job name*, block size 256).

This happens if I try to add a backup copy to any of my existing jobs. I cant work out what to do.

Cheers
Scott
scottf99
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Scott

Re: Source backup file has different block size

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Sounds like your jobs are mostly configured to use "WAN" optimization instead of "Local". You can't mix jobs with two different optimizations into the same Backup Copy. However, if you've somehow already run a backup copy and the interval expired or otherwise ended (perhaps by triggering a "force sync") I've seen cases where the Backup Copy transfers nothing at all, but creates the metadata file assuming 1M blocks so future runs will fail with this message.

It should be possible to recover from this situation by disabling the Backup Copy job, going to the Backups and right clicking and selecting "Delete from disk" to delete any backups associated with that backup copy job, but be sure to also check the "Remove archived backups" option. Note that this will DELETE all information from the disk associated with that Backup Copy job so only do this if you know there is nothing in the Backup Copy you want to keep.

Just reenable the copy job and don't interrupt it until it starts copying data (don't do a force sync or anything like that). If data won't start copying on the first pass without selecting "force sync" then you need to understand why as selecting force sync will likely cause the error to reoccur.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1819 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:01 am

Just to add to that, we have had the same restriction around mixing different block sizes in v7 as well, so this is nothing specific to v8.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2405 times

Veeam Logoby averylarry » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:40 pm

. . . but using a backup job as a replication source also has this restriction, which is new to v8. I've been bitten by that, and I haven't taken the time to figure out how to fix it yet.
averylarry
Expert

Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Ted

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Ted, have you tried just to change the corresponding setting (Storage optimization) in the replication job?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1131 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby averylarry » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:45 pm

I haven't really tried anything. Changing to the backup job as the source also causes the digests to be re-calculated, so I need to change it over slowly. Just haven't had the time yet.
averylarry
Expert

Veeam Logoby averylarry » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:37 pm

Does the *backup* job have to be set to WAN optimization? Right now I get the error and:

the backup job is set to High compression, Local target optimization.
the replication job is set to High compression, there is no choice for optimization.
averylarry
Expert

Veeam Logoby obroni » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:53 pm 4 people like this post

If you need to change the replication block size:-

1. Set the replication job back to source vm
2. Change Block size (optimization) to match backup job
3. Run replication job and wait for it to recalc digests
4. Finally set Replication job back to source of back up job

I've been through this only to discover that a long running replication job is aborted if the backup job runs again. Would have been better if it just queued.
obroni
Service Provider

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Nick Fisk

Veeam Logoby averylarry » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:39 am

Took me awhile to figure it out. What kept messing me up is that for replication jobs, the Optimization choice (which corresponds to block size) IS NOT VISIBLE when the source is a backup job. Hence obroni's instructions to change back to source vm.
averylarry
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:06 am 1 person likes this post

You can also try to change block size without changing the source type of replication job, using the following commandlet; might do the trick:

Code: Select all
$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "Backup Job 1"
$Options = $Job.GetOptions()
$Options.BackupStorageOptions.StgBlockSize = "New value"
$Job.SetOptions($Options)

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1020 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] : Changing replication jobs to source from backup

Veeam Logoby briguyiu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:01 pm

One of the new features I was really excited for was utilizing the source backup for replication jobs vs. creating a new snapshot etc. I switched them last week, and am now getting this warning Restore point is located in backup file with a different block size (512KB expected). My backup repositories aren't VMFS LUNS, they are RDM's directly to the SAN. I'm assuming this is the reason for the warning, since the destination is VMFS5, and RMD's aren't formatted with VMFS. I don't think the job is actually completing either, as the last creation time is before I made the source change. Is the only way to fix this to change the RDM's to VMFS LUNS with the same format?
briguyiu
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:11 pm

The said error means that source backup job uses different block size. For more information, kindly, check answers provided above. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby briguyiu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:35 pm

All of my searches came up with backup copy jobs I thought....sorry for overlooking this one. So, since my backup repositories are RDM's and 512kb, is there any kind of workaround, other than making my repositories VMFS5 with 1MB block sizes, like the destination data stores at the DR site? I didn't fully understand obroni's second step, as I don't see any storage optimization options on job settings other than LAN/WAN/Local Targets.
briguyiu
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:41 pm

The only thing that matters is the block size selected in the settings of source backup job (repository type does not matter).

You should follow procedure described by obroni. Most likely, now you don't see storage optimization settings, because you haven't specified VM as source (step number 1).

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Yes, VMFS block size is not related to this problem.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1144 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication