Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dave.webb
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Webb

Unable to truncate transaction logs.

Post by dave.webb »

I have just encountered this warning for the first time and wondered if anybody can shed light on it. I've Google'd and looked around this forum but can't find anything specific. I think the job completes but logs this warning:
Unable to truncate transaction logs. Details: FinishSnapshot error (over VIX): [Freeze job already stopped.]
It's Veeam Backup & Replication 6.1 running on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 physical server. The job is backing up 3 VMs and only fails one 1 - it's a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 DFS server (not running Exchange or SQL).

I'm happy to come back with more details or screenshots if required.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Unable to truncate transaction logs.

Post by foggy »

David, for some reason this VM is treated as the one where the logs need to be truncated (probably, had SQL or Exchange installed on it previously). You can try to run this job with logs truncation disabled to get rid of the warning or, if you want to troubleshoot the issue more closely, contact our support team for assistance. Thanks!
jpeake
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times

Post by jpeake »

I have seen this too. On a server that used to have SQL Express on it. Ignored the error at the time, and it's not complaining anymore.
lsittech
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephen Shortland

[MERGED] Veeam Backup to Offsite

Post by lsittech »

Hello All,

I am using Veeam B&R 6.5 on Server 2008 R2.

I run Veeam backup of VMWare Guest (Active Direcotry Server) to local SAN for onsite copy.
I have a second Veeam job which is backing up that same VMWare Guest to Offsite Storage in a Data Centre using the (Shared Folder - CIFS/SMB Repository Option)

The Initial Backup up the AD Server comes back completed but with Message:
"Warning - Unable to truncate transaction logs. Details: KeepSnapshot error: [Freeze job already stopped.]"
All following incremental hourly backups however work fine.

Is this warning message a huge concern to the integrity of my backups?

Thanks in Advance
Stephen
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup to Offsite

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Stephen,

Transaction logs can only be truncated for SQL Server and Exchange VMs. Can you please tell me what applications (apart from AD) do you have installed on this server?
lsittech wrote:All following incremental hourly backups however work fine.
If subsequent backup job runs do truncate transaction logs for this VMs, then you should be fine.

Thanks!
lsittech
Influencer

Post by lsittech »

Hi Vitaliy,

At the moment I am just testing this offsite. If I can get it working ok then I plan to set up for all of my VM's.

This particular server is running AD/DHCP/DNS/Print Roles

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

lsittech wrote:This particular server is running AD/DHCP/DNS/Print Roles
In this case I believe there is nothing to worry about, but if you want to investigate it further please contact our support team.
lsittech
Influencer

Post by lsittech »

Thanks for the advice. I raised a support call. For this particular issue, I had to set it to Truncate Logs immediately. then the job worked successfully without error.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

May be it used to have Exchange or SQL at some point, so the corresponding registry keys are still there. Possible?
patrickl78
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Patrick Leonard

[MERGED] Unable to truncate Exchange logs.

Post by patrickl78 »

I am getting an error message: "Unable to truncate Exchange transaction logs. Details: Cannot finish snapshot: no job found". The Veeam backup for this VM finished with a warning. This is the second server now that I've seen the error message on since updating to Veeam 8. In this case I upgraded the Veeam 8 console on my production side and built out a new DR Veeam 8 console. We use the Veeam console at the DR side to pull the replication jobs across. The initial case ID# is 00689855. The local backup jobs on all the same servers do not present any VSS issues and I know there is nothing wrong with the production environment. In this case I rebuilt both local and remote Veeam consoles and resolved the problem. I just can't keep doing this on each client I upgrade.

Thanks,
Patrick
aharvey
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Aaron Harvey

Re: Unable to truncate Exchange logs.

Post by aharvey »

I am getting this same warning randomly on VMs that don't, and have never had, Exchange installed. One was purely a file server, some are Server 2012, others are 2008. The next time the job runs, the VM may not have the warning, or it will appear for a different VM. The warnings started after I upgraded to Veeam v8. Just thought I'd chime in so Veeam knows others are having the same issue, and so I can monitor the progress in case there is a resolution.

Thanks
Aaron
patrickl78
Service Provider

Post by patrickl78 »

This happened on the first two servers I upgraded so I figured someone else would have seen this issue. Like you, our servers have never had Exchange on them. I really can't build out new consoles at every client to resolve this so I'm hoping Veeam will find a root cause and patch it asap.

Thanks,
Patrick
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Aaron, the best way to let Veeam team know about the issue is to submit all debug log files to our support team. I would appreciate if you could also provide your case ID, as the more information we have, the quicker the solution to this issue would be found.
patrickl78
Service Provider

Post by patrickl78 »

Vitaliy,

My original case was closed after I built out the new consoles and that seemed to get me going without the errors for that system. If you guys want to re-open it I will submit the logs from the replication jobs that are showing that error again on a different clients servers. The replication job is still in progress and will likely be for another 24 hours before I can grab the logs and send them.

Thanks,
Patrick
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Patrick, if the issue reoccurs, kindly, open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly. Thanks.
patrickl78
Service Provider

Post by patrickl78 »

I will open a new ticket today and submit the logs on my new issue. The other case was closed but now that others have reported the same issue it would be great if dev could investigate those logs. I did ask before closing the ticket that the tech forward them to dev for review. I figure the more logs they have the better chance they will have to find and correct the isssue.

Thanks,
Patrick
Zedification
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Zed

Post by Zedification »

Hi,

Did you have this problem solved ?
I have the same issue.

Thanks,

Lucien.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Zed, while you're waiting a reply from Patrick, I would suggest contacting our technical team and posting your case ID in this topic. Thanks!
patrickl78
Service Provider

Post by patrickl78 »

There has been no resolution to my case on this issue.

Thanks,
Patrick
ugauchr
Service Provider
Full Name: Christof Ugau

Post by ugauchr »

Same issue here, on some VMs we get error that the Exchange Logs can't be truncated but there is only SQL installed on it, NO Exchange.
Exact error: "Unable to Tuncate Exchange transaction logs; Details: Cannot finish snapshot: no job Found"
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Christof, can you please let me know your case ID?
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Post by ashman70 »

I've been getting the error too since I upgraded to v8, happening with a terminal server backup, no exchange involved. My case number is #00704757
rbushe
Lurker

[MERGED] Unable to truncate Exchange transaction logs (Non-E

Post by rbushe »

We have randomly been receiving the following warnings "Unable to truncate Exchange transaction logs. Details: Cannot finish snapshot: no job found." or "Unable to truncate Exchange transaction logs. Details: RPC function call failed. Function name: [BlobCall]. Target machine: [x.x.x.x]. RPC error:There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. Code: 1753" on different backup jobs and different VMs

We have not backing up any exchange servers and all the VMs do not have exchange installed and have never had exchange installed. All VMs that randomly receive these warnings are SQL and/or Sharepoint servers.

We started to experience the issue when we upgraded to the official 8.0 release, and we are still experiencing the issue when we upgraded to 8.0.917

I currently have case open with veeam support under 00725745 but have made little to no progress.

Any help is appreciated.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I've checked a couple of support cases mentioned above and they do not contain any particular resolution to this issue. In one of the cases the error went away by itself, in another one - after creating a new Veeam B&R console. So I recommend to continue investigation with support.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

Case # 00732467

Right after upgrading from v7 to v8 patch#1 yesterday, about 90% of my VMs now give a warning saying :

"Unable to truncate SQL server transaction logs. Details: Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command.
Failed to truncate SQL logs
Failed to logon user [<domain>\<user>]
Win32 error:Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.
Code: 1385"

I just upgraded my Veeam installation and made NO change whatsoever to any of my jobs, nor did I touch the privileges of the domain user that logs onto the VMs. The jobs were ALL completing with no errors before the upgrade.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Lucio, just to check, is SQL Server installed on those 90% VMs?
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

Foggy: no, only on few of them.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for confirmation. R&D is also looking into this.
rwilson
Lurker

Post by rwilson »

foggy wrote:Thanks for confirmation. R&D is also looking into this.
Thanks, I'm also having the same issue as the others. Enterprise plus customer. Please let us know of any improvements. Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

rwilson wrote:Thanks, I'm also having the same issue as the others. Enterprise plus customer. Please let us know of any improvements. Thank you
I will. However, opening your own case and providing full logs for review will give us more information on the issue and speed up the investigation process. Thanks.