Unable to truncate transaction logs.

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Unable to truncate transaction logs.

Veeam Logoby rkovhaev » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:19 pm

phil.p wrote:Turns out the OLE DB Provider doesn't support TLS1.1 or 1.2
Code = 0x80004005
Code meaning = Unspecified error
Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Description = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.

hopefully Veeam will move to a newer provider with support for TLS1.2 in the future.

In version 9.5 we already implemented logic that uses native sql client provider and tls 1.2 works.
There is a reg key for that new logic - feel free to contact support.
rkovhaev
Veeam Software

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Rustam

[MERGED] Case # 02125618 Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Se

Veeam Logoby anil.kukkunuru » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:37 pm

Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Details: Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command. Failed to truncate SQL server transaction logs for instances: . See guest helper log.
Sometimes the backups fails, and sometime it comes with a warning. Can you guys help me to figure out the possible solution to resolve this warning. :roll: :?:

Thanks
anil.kukkunuru
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Anil Kukkunuru

Re: Case # 02125618 Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Server

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:13 am

Hi Anil,

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, with this type of warning we can start guessing and give you some things you need to check but it might be difficult to find the root cause without all the logs needed. Since you have a case ID, please keep working with our support engineers and let us know the results after the investigation.

From what I see above, my gut feeling tells me you should look at the SQL server itself and look at events over there. It seems that SQL server sometimes has issues truncating (that is what we do, we instruct SQL server to truncate) which could be for various reasons. So starting your investigation over there would be my first thing.

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 343 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby anil.kukkunuru » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the update, we truncated the logs on SQL server and still we got the same error.
Yesterday, the job failed with the below errors
4/12/2017 7:35:17 PM :: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: VSSControl: Failed to prepare guest for freeze, wait timeout 1800 sec
4/12/2017 8:06:58 PM :: Error: VSSControl: Failed to prepare guest for freeze, wait timeout 1800 sec
4/12/2017 8:06:58 PM :: Processing finished with errors at 4/12/2017 8:06:58 PM
anil.kukkunuru
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Anil Kukkunuru

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:36 pm

This one is not related to logs truncation, but a general VSS issue. Please investigate with support.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication