Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Unable to truncate transaction logs.

Post by foggy »

Yes, please.
MAA
Expert
Liked: 3 times

Post by MAA »

After change vCenter Server from 5.5 (Windows) to 6.0 (appliance) on one of my SQL server job i get this warning:
Unable to truncate SQL server transaction logs. Details: Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command. Failed to truncate transaction logs for SQL instances: MSSQLSERVER. Possible reasons: lack of permissions, or transaction log corruption.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Does this SQL server hold vCenter database or some unrelated one? Better contact support to take a look at guest logs.
jroot
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Root

Post by jroot »

Foggy, I had the same error as MAA on a Windows 2003 server with SQL 2005 but I was able to correct it by editing the job, going to Guest Processing, clicking Applications, Highlighting the object, clicking Edit, Selecting the SQL tab, Checking "Do not truncate logs (requires simple recovery model), OK twice and Finish. The databases I have on this server all have circular logging and don't require truncation so it was blowing this warning every time the job ran. As soon as I made this change, the job completed successfully without this same warning. :D
Hope this helps,
Jim
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Jim, this is expected, if logs truncation is disabled, there's nothing to fail. ;)
DavidDarts
Novice
Full Name: David Dartnell

[MERGED] Receiving 'Failed to truncate transaction logs

Post by DavidDarts »

Hi Everyone,

I am using VEEAM Backup & Replication 8 (v8.0.0.2030) to backup a Windows Server 2003 VM which is running MS SQL Server.

My backup job is failing with the warning message shown below -

Failed to finalize guest processing. Details: Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command. Failed to truncate transaction logs for SQL instances: MSSQLSERVER. Possible reasons: lack of permissions, or transaction log corruption.

If anybody can suggest how to fix this issue it will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

David
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Did you have any successful job runs prior this failure? Can you please check that this SQL Server instance is up and running on the target VM?
DavidDarts
Novice
Full Name: David Dartnell

Post by DavidDarts »

Hi Vitaliy,

I have checked, and the SQL Server instance is running. I have also determined that I am running Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (v 8.00.760).

Kind Regards,

David
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte » 2 people like this post

SQL Server 2000 is not supported for log backup or truncation. If needed, you can create a support case to request a hotfix that will cause Veeam to skip unsupported and not-running instances of MS SQL. Otherwise, you can disable Application Aware Processing and use native SQL backup tools to deal with transaction logs. That said, you're talking about a SQL version that's End-of-Life, and an OS that's a week away, so if possible I'd recommend migrating the databases to something more recent.
dlieshout@client.nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: DaLi

Post by dlieshout@client.nl »

I did have a case ID# 00942559.
We do have lots of VM's at several customers with this warning since v8 Update 1/1a/1b. All VM's without any SQL or anything.

Final statement from Veeam: "So the workaround is to disable truncate for this particular VM. I realize that this is not good way to do this manually. This issue will be fixed in next release (or update)".
So we have to wait until Veeam will revert this warning-issue as it was before Update 1.
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan »

I had a similar issue on a couple of VM's that were terminal services hosts (RDP farm) after v8.0 Update2b. There was no SQL (express or standard) installed but there was a Windows Internal Database insalled together with the Server Resource Manager. The service was however disabled and not running, still VEEAM complained about the SQL transaction logs. I just set ignore SQL transaction log failures for these VM's since there is no real SQL on it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Stan,

I just had a quick discussion with our dev team regarding this issue. We should have a private hotfix that skips/ignores all stopped SQL Server instances and does not try to truncate logs for databases hosted on these instances. You can open a support case and try this hotfix in your infrastructure.

Thanks!
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan »

I still have another (unrelated) support case open with VEEAM for a couple of weeks now. I'll have to wait for that one to get an update (if ever) before opening yet another case.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

dlieshout@client.nl wrote:I did have a case ID# 00942559.
We do have lots of VM's at several customers with this warning since v8 Update 1/1a/1b. All VM's without any SQL or anything.

Final statement from Veeam: "So the workaround is to disable truncate for this particular VM. I realize that this is not good way to do this manually. This issue will be fixed in next release (or update)".
I'd check with support regarding applicability of this hotfix (mentioned by Vitaliy above).
Tomsyr
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tom Conklin

Post by Tomsyr »

We needed to move service accounts with DA rights into a special group that now has deny 'interactive logins', so now we get unable to truncate SQL server transaction logs, etc... 'Win32 error:Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.'.
Due to passwords expiring, we need to have service accounts NOT expire, and since service accounts have 'known' passwords, we need to prevent interactive logins.
It sounds like we're not alone with needing to implement this security best practice, so is there a work around?
TIA,
Tom
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Tomsyr wrote:We needed to move service accounts with DA rights into a special group that now has deny 'interactive logins', so now we get unable to truncate SQL server transaction logs, etc... 'Win32 error:Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.'.
Due to passwords expiring, we need to have service accounts NOT expire, and since service accounts have 'known' passwords, we need to prevent interactive logins.
I'm not sure if there's any way to prevent requiring "known passwords", but certainly the account does not need to be a Domain Admin. To perform VSS freeze the account used for AAIP needs to be a Local Admin, and to truncate logs the account must have db_backupoperator role on any databases in FULL or Bulk recovery mode, or you can assign SQL sysadmin rights to the account to allow it to truncate logs on any database.
macademy
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ian Cullen

[MERGED] Updated to 8.0.0.2084, errors on one backup job

Post by macademy »

Hi,

Since updating to 8.0.0.284 we are seeing a warning on one of our servers in the job log. The warning is:
"Unable to truncate SQL server transaction logs. Details: Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command. Failed to enumerate SQL instance on host. Failed to retrieve the configuration parameters of the [PsShutdownSvc] service. Win32 error:The system cannot find the file specified. Code: 2"
This is an old Windows 2003 server, running SQL Server 2005.

All of our other SQL servers (running 2008 R2 and SQL 2008) are backing up fine.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Updated to 8.0.0.2084, errors on one backup job

Post by nielsengelen »

Please have a look at http://www.veeam.com/kb2027 - if the error still occurs then please contact support.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Ian,
Did it work with no issues before the update? What version have you updated from?
By design VBR supports transaction log backups for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, so contacting the support team will also help.
Thanks!
macademy
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ian Cullen

Post by macademy »

We upgraded from 8.0.0.2030 and there were no errors then. We upgraded to 8.0.0.2084 two days ago and both nights have generated a warning on this one server.

I've checked http://www.veeam.com/kb2027 as suggested by vmniels on my original thread (thanks for moving it) but none of the suggestions seemed to apply, the veeamguesthelper log shows this:

Code: Select all

12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828                      Truncating SQL logs
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828                              Enumerating MS SQL instances by service names.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828                              Enumerating MS SQL instances by service names.. Failed.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828                      Truncating SQL logs. Failed.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  INFO        RPC: truncation SQL logs.. Failed.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR     BlobCall() error.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR         Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR         Failed to enumerate SQL instance on host.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR         Failed to retrieve the configuration parameters of the [PsShutdownSvc] service.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR         Win32 error:The system cannot find the file specified.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR          Code: 2

I've restarted the server just now to see if this makes any difference and will contact support tomorrow if the warning still occurs.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Could it be this issue > v8 Update 3 & SQL Log Truncation
stanleymok
Novice

[MERGED] Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction

Post by stanleymok »

Hi all,

I am using Veeam Backup & Replication v9 to backup SQL server, once backup job completed, it showed a warning message as below:

Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Details: Error code: 0x80004005
Failed to invoke func [TruncateSqlLogs]: Unspecified error. Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command.
Failed to truncate SQL server transaction logs for instances: .See guest helper log. .
Error code: 0x80004005
Failed to invoke func [TruncateSqlLogs]: Unspecified error. Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command.

Failed to truncate SQL server transaction logs for instances: .See guest helper log. .

Anyone can help?

Thanks a lot,

Stanley
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Stanley,
Please provide support case number as required when posting questions regarding technical errors.
Also, please review the topic for possible solutions.
Thanks!
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

[MERGED] Unable to truncate log.

Post by JosueM »

Good day everyone,

This backup job mssql 2008 VM was working fine till last night displayed this warning:

Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Details: Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command. Failed to truncate SQL server transaction logs for instances: . See guest helper log. .

I was unable to find something about the error message since is very general, any idea about this? or where to find the "guest helper log"?

Veeam 9.0.0.1491 here. thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Josue, please review some hints provided in this thread and contact support in case nothing helps.
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

thanks foggy, will seek any help on this else I'll contact support
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

where do you find the veeamguesthelper ??
macademy wrote:We upgraded from 8.0.0.2030 and there were no errors then. We upgraded to 8.0.0.2084 two days ago and both nights have generated a warning on this one server.

I've checked http://www.veeam.com/kb2027 as suggested by vmniels on my original thread (thanks for moving it) but none of the suggestions seemed to apply, the veeamguesthelper log shows this:

Code: Select all

12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828                      Truncating SQL logs
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828                              Enumerating MS SQL instances by service names.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828                              Enumerating MS SQL instances by service names.. Failed.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828                      Truncating SQL logs. Failed.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  INFO        RPC: truncation SQL logs.. Failed.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR     BlobCall() error.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR         Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR         Failed to enumerate SQL instance on host.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR         Failed to retrieve the configuration parameters of the [PsShutdownSvc] service.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR         Win32 error:The system cannot find the file specified.
12/11/2015 00:38:18   4828  ERR          Code: 2

I've restarted the server just now to see if this makes any difference and will contact support tomorrow if the warning still occurs.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This log is located on the guest VM, you can find the full path in the mentioned KB article.
the_mentor
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: DeMentor

[MERGED] Veeam job fails to truncate sql logs

Post by the_mentor »

Hi Everyone,
On a few of my sql servers i get the following warning:

Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Details: Failed to call RPC function 'Vss.TruncateSqlLogs': Error code: 0x80004005. Failed to invoke func [TruncateSqlLogs]: Unspecified error. Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command. Failed to truncate SQL server transaction logs for instances: . See guest helper log

Any ideas on what i can do to solve it ?
-DeMentor
phil.p
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Phil P

Post by phil.p » 1 person likes this post

Thought I'd post my fix to the error mentioned by the_mentor as came across it recently. The issue (for me) seems to be caused by the SQL OLE Provider (that Veeam is using), we started disabling TLS1.0 support on our servers after running some vulnerability scans across the network. Turns out the OLE DB Provider doesn't support TLS1.1 or 1.2 so breaks when this change is made, if you look in the guesthelper log on the guest VM the following WARN lines will be seen:

Code = 0x80004005
Code meaning = Unspecified error
Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Description = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.

Came across this thread while looking into it so hopefully this will help someone else who sees this issue. For now I've resolved by re-enabling TLS1.0 on our SQL servers as it's not a critical requirement just starting to become best practice, hopefully Veeam will move to a newer provider with support for TLS1.2 in the future.