Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: GFS Retention Policy

Post by foggy »

Most likely the oldest restore point in the chain didn't reach the day specified for GFS restore point creation. Hard to say without knowing how the job is actually scheduled. The first GFS point is created when regular chain retention is reached and the full backup reaches the specified day.
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Post by btmaus »

So if I have specified 7 restore points in the regular backup job, it needs to have 7 restore points saved before the backup copy job GFS retention will take the first weekly backup?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev »

Your weekly backup should already taken, and is present on disk in a form of incremental restore point. Again, if this does not happen, you should open a support case to troubleshoot, as this becomes a Backup Copy job issue unrelated to GFS retention policy. I just don't understand from your previous post what exactly the perceived problem is.

Now, if you do see the incremental restore point created on the required day correctly, then most likely all is well. Instead of being removed by retention when the time comes (according to your recent backups retention policy), this restore point will eventually be converted to a standalone GFS full backup. This process is well explained in the User Guide.
Nadziratelb
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander

[MERGED] Keep 30 restore points and one per month for 6 mon

Post by Nadziratelb »

Hello,

I have Veeam V8 with.

I want to keep 30 days of backup for the last month and I want to keep a backup one per month for 6 months.

Currently, I have one primary job with 30 restore points in incremental mode.

What is the best way to do this ?

Secondary Job ?

For 30 restore points can make better use of reverse-incremental?

Thanks for your help :)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Alexander and welcome to the forums!
The best way to achieve your goal is to create a backup copy job with GFS retention to keep monthly backups with individual retention policy.
It`s also considered as the best practice since you will have a copy of backups without taking another snapshot of VMs.
Nadziratelb wrote:For 30 restore points can make better use of reverse-incremental?
It depends on your goal. With reverse incremental backup you will always have a full restore point the last in the chain, but it`s to take more IO operations during backup process.
Thanks!
workict
Novice

[MERGED] Backup job with copy job

Post by workict »

Hello,

I'm trying to setup our Veeam backup environment but it's not working like how I want it, and I can't see what I'm doing wrong so I thought i'll post it here and maybe someone can explain to me what i'm doing wrong.

My goal is to create a daily backup job and keep it saved for 14 days, besides that I want to create a week backup (which get saved for 4 weeks), a month backup (which get saved 12 months) and finally a year backup.

I now created a backup job which backing up all my VMware virtual servers, this job makes an incremental backup on Monday to Saturday at 22:00.
On sunday's it makes an synthetic within this backup job, and the restore point to keep on disk is set to 14 (This job is running every day so it seems to work fine).

I then created a backup copy job for the weekly backup named WeeklyJob, I then choose by Copy Every 1 day at 23:00 and by the tab Virtual Machines I selected the Backup job name.
On the target tab I selected Weekly backup 4 (to keep 4 weekly backups saved?) and start on Sunday at 8:00.

But what I see is that this copy job is running everyday at 23:00.
The same problem I have with the month copy job I created, I selected the same settings as the Weekly copy job except the month copy job starts on the first day of every month, but that copy job is also running everyday at 23:00.

What am I doing wrong that the copy jobs are running everyday and not only on the selected day and time?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 720 times

Re: Backup job with copy job

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community.
What am I doing wrong that the copy jobs are running everyday and not only on the selected day and time?
this
I then choose by Copy Every 1 day at 23:00
That one should have been set to 7 days.

Next, if you want your backup copy job to run on specific days/time periods ony please use "time window" option in scheduling tab.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please review this thread and GFS retention description in the user guide for better understanding of how it is considered to work. Basically, you do not need several backup copy jobs, you can have a single one that will create both weekly and monthly restore points. If you do not need it to create regular incremental restore points and want just GFS fulls, set the number of regular restore points to a minimum of 2.
workict
Novice

Post by workict »

Hello PTide,

Thank you for your answer, but on the edit backup copy job page I can only select by the Copy every from a dropdown menu the options: Minute, Hour or Day and a starting time.
How can I set that value to 7 days ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Select Day for the Copy every interval and specify 7 in the interval value box to the left.
workict
Novice

Post by workict »

OMG
I never saw the number in front of Day that you can change it..... I feel so stupid.

I'm gonna change that setting and I think everything would work fine then.
Thanks for the support guys.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Support Case 01099566.

I opened this case for clarification on what I see and understanding a comment in the documentation...
One and the same full backup can be marked as weekly, monthly, quarterly and/or yearly. When transforming weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly backup chains, Veeam Backup & Replication checks the flags set for the full backup file. If the full backup file belongs to some other retention policy tier and must be retained on the target backup repository, such backup file will not be removed.
Taken from http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... olicy.html

I have not seen a screenshot of any Backup Copy Job properties on Disk to compare what I see in my environment.

Let me summary my Backup Job and Backup Copy Job in question.

Backup Job: "nemesis"
- Incremental, create active full periodically Weekly on Saturday
- Restore points to keep on disk: 14
- secondary target: "nemesis copy"
- Run job scheduled everyday at 0600

Backup Copy Job: "nemesis copy"
- copy interval: 1 day start at 0550
- restore points to keep: 30
- Keep:
-- 8 Weekly - Sunday 0600
-- 6 Monthly - 1st Sunday of month
-- 0 Quarterly
-- 0 Yearly

Heres what I see on disk - (screenshot below) My query is at marking #1 why do i have 2 full backups 1 day apart? - a Monthly and a Weekly. Are these not the same backup as detailed above in the documentation and should be marked as such. I'm thinking in previous version of Veeam that these vbk's were marked as W/M, and that a tooltip used to appear also (which does not in v8).

Is this is what IS expected? Further that these Weekly backups are date stamped on a Monday not a Sunday that I chose in the copy job config.
The question mark was also to highlight these filenames are missing a suffix for the retention type.

Or do I have a problem with any of my jobs configuration.

Thanks for any clarification and enhanced understanding on this matter.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

The problem is indeed in job configuration. The fact that you have backup copy sync interval set to start at 5:50 results in two facts:
1. Each time it copies restore point that was created on the previous day (not relevant to your issue, though).
2. When GFS mechanism comes into action (during backup copy job retention), it looks for the time specified for weekly restore point (6:00) and checks the current full backup time stamp, which is 5:50. So weekly point is not put aside on that day. However, for monthly point the job does not check the time, only day, so it just takes that full and marks it as monthly point. The full as of Monday meets the Sunday 6:00 requirement for weekly point, so it is marked as weekly.

To fix that, you just need to set backup copy interval to start at 6:00 (or a few minutes later), as it is always recommended to do. The job will wait for the new source restore point to be created, copy it, and mark the same full created on first Sunday of each month both as monthly and weekly.

Regarding the second (naming) issue, logs need to be investigated, that's not expected.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen » 1 person likes this post

Thanks foggy. For pin pointing my deficiencies. Have amended my jobs.
This explains a lot more than the help pages do or come across.
This topic (9 forum pages so far) could maybe do with a whiteboard video or webinar session with more technical practices and example setups and presentation of what you end up with.

Thanks again.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Stuart,
There is a webinar with deep dive in Veeam Backup Copy Jobs.
Hope that helps.
workict
Novice

[MERGED] backup copy job not running

Post by workict »

Goodmorning,

I have made a daily backup job with veeam which backup al my vmware servers.
This job is making a synthetic full backup on saturday and a incremental backup on sunday till friday.
With 14 restore point to keep.
And this job is working perfect on the scheduled time every day 22:00 hour.

But now I want to setup a backup copy job which will make a monthly and yearly backup and store it.
I created a backup copy job and seletected the copy every 1 day timer at 01:00 hour.
I selected by objects to process the daily backup job.
And for backup repository i selected a different repository then the daily backup.
I set the option restore points to keep to 2, and selected the option keep the following restore points>
Monthly backup 12 en yearly backup 12 (I want 12 monthly backups and yearly backup to be saved).

I set the timer on the monthly job for the first day of the month and the year job on 1ste of January.
And when I create this job I see the job status is Idle with next run status continuous.

But on the first of this month there was no copy job created....
Yesterday I selected the second day of the month and hoping that tonight it would copy but still nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? And what do I need to change so that the backup copy jobs will run according the scheduled days?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 720 times

Re: backup copy job not running

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Were any restore points copied by backup copy job at all? If so then please wait until tomorrow because GFS restore point will be created at the moment when your copy-job full (which contains the state of VM as of December 1st) is to be merged with copy-job increment (which contains December 2nd).

If no restore points are present at target side then please setup you backup copy job to start daily at 22:05 (interval of 24 hours).

Thank you.
workict
Novice

Post by workict »

The backup copy job GFS retention is still confusing me and makes no sense to me because my job is not running on the moment I selected.
Like I said the post here above I have a daily scheduled job and from that job I created a backup copy job to save the backup in a different backup repository.

Now I make these settings on my backup copy job:
Copy every: 1 day starting at 22:15
Objects to process: DailyVM backup - backup job
Restore points to keep: 2
Weekly backup: 13 (saturday 01:00)
Monthly backup: 12 (first saturday of the month)
yearly backup: 12 (1 day of january)

But when I look at restore point available from the copy job I now see a full backup from 6 december and a incremental backup from 8 december.
But 6 december was a sunday and 8 december was a tuesday.
And I did not select those days to make a copy of a backup.

What am I doing wrong with the backup copy job that it's not running on the days I select ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I recommend to review the corresponding user guide section to get a better idea of how backup copy job retention works. Restore points you see in your repository are the ones comprising the regular backup copy job chain, the first full and subsequent increment (since you've configured it to copy on a daily basis and selected 2 restore points to keep). The first weekly restore point will be created when the regular full backup will reach the next Saturday.
workict
Novice

Post by workict »

I read the user guide section, the only problem is that I don't get the logic of the options you can select.
In the user guide section there is no example on how to setup the backup copy job to get a example schedule.
That's why I came to this forum because I setup thing in the backup copy job that looks logic to me but the job doesn't run like I would.

I just don't understand what the Copy every, Restore points to keep options does for the backup copy job.
And when I setup a time to keep the following restore points to run for a weekly backup that on that time nothing happens.

If you see the example schedule on the link you gave, Weekly backups on sunday, Monthly backup on the last saturday and the rest of the month a regular backup.
Where can I see in the user guide how you need to setup the jobs in order to get such a backup schedule?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You can try this Restore Point Simulator to check number and size of restore points. Just choose Backup Copy Job GFS from the 1st drop-down list.
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I just don't understand what the Copy every
This setting defines copy interval.
Restore points to keep options does for the backup copy job
How many restore points should be preserved for simple retention.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

workict wrote:And when I setup a time to keep the following restore points to run for a weekly backup that on that time nothing happens.
GFS restore points are created when the regular chain retention is reached and the full backup reaches the specified day (this happens not exactly on the day you specify for GFS restore point, but when the full reaches that day).
neilmacneil
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil MacNeil

[MERGED] question about GFS

Post by neilmacneil »

Hello again,

I have a backup copy job that is being saved to DataDomain with boost enabled. The retention is 31 and I have GFS enabled with 2 monthly's set for every first of the month. The main backup job that it is copying from is also set to 31 point retention and is fairly new so it currently only has 18 backups saved. I was expecting to see a new full restore point on the datadomain for February 1st (monday) but I do not. Is there something I am missing?

-Neil
SpiderPig
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times

Backup Copy Job GFS retention

Post by SpiderPig »

Hi,

Im having some problems understanding how this actually works. My GFS goals (for this test) is to keep a full restore point for two weeks. I want the backup made on sundays to be stored. When i check my restore points form backup copy jobs i get one friday and two tuesday. I dont get it. What am i doing wrong here?

This is my settings:

Restore: (full on tuesdays

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You need to wait until the number of restore points in the regular chain reaches 7 (full + 6 increments) and then GFS restore point will be offloaded when the full backup of the regular chain reaches the specified day (Sunday).
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

Could it be that you started the job on a Tuesday (edit or resync)? It says your sync interval every 7 days instead of the default daily interval.
SpiderPig
Service Provider

Post by SpiderPig »

tdewin wrote:Could it be that you started the job on a Tuesday (edit or resync)? It says your sync interval every 7 days instead of the default daily interval.
Yes, this could be it. If this is the case, are my full backups from sunday data and the vbk file created tuesday or ist it tuesday data and the vbk file created tuesday?
Can i "force" the copy job to do my biddings with the schedule or should i edit the job next sunday?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Currently your full backups contain data as of Tuesdays. If you want the backup file to be created exactly on Sundays, then yes, you need to either edit the job on that day or configure backup window to prevent backup copy from running until Sunday. How your source backup jobs are configured?
SpiderPig
Service Provider

Post by SpiderPig »

My source backup is configured as this:

Retention policy: 7 days on disk,
Backupmode: Incremental with synthetic full on saturday
Runs daily at 23:59