Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SteeleTek
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Any closer to an ETA for Veeam v10 ?

Post by SteeleTek »

Greetings,

I read estimates of late 2017 or early 2018 for Veeam v10. Since we're now in Q4 2017, is there any "unofficial" ETA for v10?

Thanks!!
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Re: Any closer to an ETA for Veeam v10 ?

Post by mkretzer »

I wonder why there are no new infos about new features? With 9.5 the closer we got to release the more information about new features came out...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev » 8 people like this post

Hi, all

It is best not to think about v10 as a single huge release as we had historically, because we're in the process of switching to the new development model similar to the current Windows development model, with periodic feature rich updates. For example, we will deliver a big part of "v10" features in the upcoming 9.5 Update 3, then even more "v10" features in 9.5 Update 4, etc. So the build that will eventually carry "v10" version (if we even have versions still) may actually only add one or two remaining features, with the rest of the announced features already introduced in the previous updates.

The primary reason is that with the amount of features we're building at the same time these days (thanks to the development team size), it is really hard to time them to the given major release without having some features holding other for half a year or more due to varying feature complexity.

Another reason is that our legacy approach with fixed yearly release cycle really constrained our innovation and made it impossible to jump new cool ideas "on the fly". But the new approach will give us ability, for example, to add a few simple but very innovative features that we've just came up with recently, based on the feedback and some market shifts of the past months, right in the immediate updates.

Of course, we will see how is it going to work for us and our customers, and revise this new paradigm as needed. However, those of you who watched B&R development closely, probably noticed how we have been moving to this model in the past couple of years already, with every B&R update becoming more and more feature rich. This approach with periodic incremental enhancements was very well received by our customer base because it also helps from reliability perspective, by containing the introduced changes to only a part of the product functionality, by allowing us to quickly address pressing support issues with a public update, etc.

Thanks!
StuartW_D
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stuart Wepener

Post by StuartW_D »

Aah Gostev, now you have me wondering when Update 3 is coming and what will be included.... haha,

There are some critical features in v10 which I really need, such as NAS backup and the Central Management for Physical backup (I mean the configure backup selections etc). Hence why I am ( and I am sure many others ) are really excited about.

So any bait you can feed us in terms of Update 3? I have heard of it, but not much about it, that I have seen
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

Centralized management for physical backup is in fact a part of Update 3... which is feature complete now and we're going through the remaining bugs, so we're talking just a few weeks until RTM now.
Anders
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Anders Lorensen

Post by Anders » 1 person likes this post

With this new "agile" Development cycle, will it affect the way certifications work and renewal of it (I'm thinking VMCE)?

There is going to be alot of features in 9.5 Update 4, that I didnt learn about on my 9.0 VMCE course....
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Post by ferrus »

Sounds very promising.
Hope the IBM Storwize integration, makes it into the earlier release.
StuartW_D
Influencer

Post by StuartW_D » 1 person likes this post

@Gostev, now we are talking :wink: thanks for the insight, definitely going to help me
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

ferrus wrote:Sounds very promising.
Hope the IBM Storwize integration, makes it into the earlier release.
Yes, IBM Storwize integration is also a part of Update 3. And remember that this integration is not limited to Storwize only - it works with any SVC-based storage, including Lenovo models and SVC installed on general-purpose servers from IBM HCL.
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

Gostev wrote:Centralized management for physical backup is in fact a part of Update 3... which is feature complete now and we're going through the remaining bugs, so we're talking just a few weeks until RTM now.
@Gostev, a thousand thank yous for making centralized management for physical backup a part of Update 3 - very much looking forward to it. :D

Are you able provide any status on Journaling, i.e. which update or release?
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

Just tossing my 2 cents in as well: very much looking forward to a proper NAS backup solution in v10. That's what's preventing us from fully dumping Commvault and going to Veeam. Looking forward to it!
StuartW_D
Influencer

Post by StuartW_D »

wa15 wrote:Just tossing my 2 cents in as well: very much looking forward to a proper NAS backup solution in v10. That's what's preventing us from fully dumping Commvault and going to Veeam. Looking forward to it!
+1 on this. I basically have an old Backup Exec sitting around just to handle our physicals and NAS storage.... But Ill take what I can for now :) Look forward to this release.
paul
Influencer
Liked: 19 times

Post by paul »

Any news on failover cluster support? We have a few and this is basically the last thing in my environment that I cannot backup with Veeam!!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Failover cluster support is also a part of Update 3. Yep, it's going to be pretty huge release for an update :D
gurneetech
Influencer
Liked: 5 times

Post by gurneetech »

Gostev wrote:Failover cluster support is also a part of Update 3. Yep, it's going to be pretty huge release for an update :D
This is good news! We're a small shop, but this will be big for us. Thanks for the insight!
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Any chance of NAS backup also being included in v9.5 U3? Okay, sorry, asking for too much now :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, it's further away.
Ctek
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times

Post by Ctek » 1 person likes this post

Anders wrote:With this new "agile" Development cycle, will it affect the way certifications work and renewal of it (I'm thinking VMCE)?

There is going to be alot of features in 9.5 Update 4, that I didnt learn about on my 9.0 VMCE course....
I'm very interested to know this as well.
VMCE
GrayMan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Angus Alston

Post by GrayMan »

Hi, can you tell us if the handling of SQL Availability groups, avoiding VSS unfreeze errors on the standby copy, will be in the 9.5 update 3 release?
Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Angus, do you mean any particular issue that we were going to address in this update? Do you probably have a support case number for it?
GrayMan
Novice

Post by GrayMan »

When we backup an availability group e.g. two servers one active one in standby in the same Veeam job the active member SQL databases are backed up correctly but we always get VSS unfreeze errors on the standby member. Technically this is a Microsoft issue but Veeam seems to try and do a 'copy only' of the standby member and so initiates a VSS snapshot/freeze. I understood from this post in the forums:

veeam-backup-replication-f2/backup-sql- ... 40892.html

that there was a 'fix' for this in v10. All I'm asking is, given that a lot of stuff is being released in 9.5 U3 is this included?

I am assuming that all it does is avoid requesting VSS snapshots on the standby member once it has determined which one that is.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you're talking about adding support for Basic Availability Groups discussed in the referred thread, then this is not included in Update 3.
aschillling
Novice
Full Name: Andrew W Schilling

Post by aschillling »

What's the current status on OEM integration?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Andrew, could you please clarify your question?
GrayMan
Novice

Post by GrayMan »

Foggy,

Thanks for the answer on the Availability groups.
r.castello
Influencer
Full Name: Ruben

Post by r.castello »

Hi,

Any news on the release date of Update 3 for Veeam 9.5?

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Ruben, it will be released this quarter, stay tuned.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Aww I am guessing that means V10 won't be released this year then :(
LoganThePhyth
Lurker
Full Name: Bradford Gorea Jr

Post by LoganThePhyth »

Any news on VBR 9.5 U3 releasing yet?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Alexander's answer is still valid - update should see the light this quarter. Thanks.