Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tinkererguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Paul Braren

File Filters/Include of *.ost fails in Outlook 2016/Win10

Post by tinkererguy »

I realize there are reasons IMAP or Exchange data files from Outlook 2016 aren't backed up by default, as they can are auto-recreated after a restore, with some other things to think about described here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/ru-ru/librar ... s.85).aspx

But I'm trying to see if I can use the the File Filters / Include Mask instructions here:
https://www.veeam.com/blog/working-with ... sions.html
to configure my Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows scheduled File level backup job Advanced settings to include *.pst files anyway, along with the entire Outlook data and temp subdirectory location, that you can see the contents of by copying and pasting this one line into your Windows Start, Run dialogue:

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\..\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
[/i]
If I get this inclusion to work, it's help me keep type-ahead of email addressee names and other little Outlook 2016 features working nicely even after a bare-metal restore, without having to wait hours for GBs of IMAP email to download all over again, using up some monthly bandwidth caps in the process. I've been manually copying this directory to a network share before reverting to an older backup for personal IMAP based email, and restoring it after the bare-metal OS restore (this method doesn't work as well for Exchange-connected email accounts, where it'll pull down the entire OST from the server after a restore anyway).

Back to the issue: even if Outlook is closed before a Veeam Agent backup job is started, I find that opening that completed backup up for file restore yields nothing but a tiny ~filename.ost.tmp file stub in that same C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook directory, not the actual filename.ost file(s) that I wanted backed up.

Any ideas/workarounds, or is this (undocumented?) exclusion by design?

See also:
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/veb-and-out ... 41092.html
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/feature-req ... 36144.html
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File Filters/Include of *.ost fails in Outlook 2016/Win1

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately we leverage the VSS rules here and Microsoft excludes ost files from VSS snapshots

Can only propose the ‘cold backup’ approach. Script outlook to shut down and zip the ost file into archive (or change it’s extension) before the backup.
tinkererguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Paul Braren

Post by tinkererguy »

Ok, thank you for the clarification, Dima P.!
mobamoba
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by mobamoba » 1 person likes this post

Actually you can go here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot and delete the OST key or keys and then VSS (and presumably VAW) will backup your OSTs.
ftravinsky
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Fedor Travinsky

Re: File Filters/Include of *.ost fails in Outlook 2016/Win10

Post by ftravinsky »

Our organization uses GMail+Outlook, not Exchange..

That was kinda surprise not having .OST files recovered by entire volume restore via B&R v10a. Haven't seen this around any Agent guide - only this forum.
Outlook didn't work out of the box - the .OST file and all inbox rules are now missing.

I suggest you put these FilesNotToSnapshot keys as a whitelist option into Agent Policy.
WoenK
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Andreas Wolter

Post by WoenK »

...just had the same issue with a bare metal backup with Office 365 on Windows 11.....
Really took me some time to correct the issue and luckely the original workstation was still accessable.
Outlook was not running during the backup.
There should be an option to override Microsoft recommendations, when using IMAP one might not have all all mailfolders online and the .ost are for the offline usage.

Really was shocked that the "fullbackup" was no real full backup, had allways trusted the agent make a real backup with everything. Really seems like I have to look for alternatives for workstations.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Andreas,

OST file is a reflection of what you have on your Office 365 account or exchange, so if by any chance you start using that account in outlook again it will populate all the data automatically.
There should be an option to override Microsoft recommendations, when using IMAP one might not have all all mailfolders online and the .ost are for the offline usage.
You can adjust the registry key mentioned about to include ost files. Thank you!