Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BAR4all
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Luis Silva

Re: IPv6 support in veeam v9

Post by BAR4all »

I see that this is an old thread; but it's what I found.

Why, oh why is Veeam still on the fence about IPv6?
It's not that I don't want to use Veeam. I simply can't. More that half of my Hosts are IPv6 only; this was needed because vCenter does not support NAT. On my next large implementation I'll have to choose a vendor. It looks like Veeam does want to be a contender "again".
Get on with it already and give us full IPv6 support. Is it that much of a technical challenge for your coders? IPv6 is here to stay. Why does Veeam hesitate on this? How can a so called "visionary" company not see this clearly? I have been to numerous tech sessions and the get the same answers and questions from Veeam staff. Here it is again: we don't want IPv6 support, we need it.

Have someone from sales give me a call when and only when you can fully support IPv6.

Thanks.
Backup and Recovery guy.
yasuda
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Post by yasuda »

To update my post from almost 11 months ago, https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html shows the geometric growth in IPv6 has leveled off somewhat. It was 9% at the beginning of 2016, and it looks like it finish the year around 14 or 15%. (I'm not sure how to interpret the spread in the graph, so maybe it's best to use the middle.) IPv6 is showing steady growth for sure.

Not shown, and perhaps what is most important to Veeam, is the percentage of IPv6 nodes that do not have IPv4 available.

I hope everyone who can't use Veeam because of lack of IPv6 will continue to post.
bpr-backup
Novice

Post by bpr-backup »

V9.5 U1 will also not work with IPv6!!

When I received the message from support to make sure that IPv6 was not used ... It was so demoralizing. We use IPv6 (no dual stack) only on our back-haul into our private cloud.

I'm really glad to see this thread, that we are not the only ones to be disabled by the lack of IPv6 in B&R.

It's really fascinating that the dev's were so engineering-inept when creating this application. It was really short signed to not include a protocol that has been finalized since 1996 into a product that came out in 2008 from the get-go, 12 years well into IPv6 existing as a network standard.

If it's not on the near-horizon to fix the lack of IPv6 in the B&R app, we too will have to drop the product.
footplus
Lurker
Full Name: Aurélien

Post by footplus »

Hello,

At least, you may enable listening over IPv6 for the Cloud Connect Gateway Service, for hosting providers.

Best regards,
Aurélien
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Aurélien, do you mean for when tenant communicates with the service provider over IPv6? Yes, I see this as the first thing we'll be adding once we get to IPv6 support. Thanks!
footplus
Lurker
Full Name: Aurélien

Post by footplus »

Yes, that would be the first step.

Next steps would be "just" allowing binding IPv6's in the various internal protocols Veeam uses, so that we can make a full-IPv6 architecture.

And, finally, enabling IPv6 on the DRaaS gateways, but I think this is more complex, since protocols like DHCPv6 are to be implemented, and the current available settings are quite limited for IPv4 already.

Best regards,
Aurélien,
sege
Novice
Full Name: Johan Segernäs

Post by sege »

Will communication between Veeam server -> repository (Linux/SSH) work IPv6 only? We're starting an environment from scratch and are building IPv6 only to get rid of legacy as much as possible and I'd really like to stay away from IPv4.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Will communication between Veeam server -> repository (Linux/SSH) work IPv6 only?
No, currently it will not. Thanks.
deevie
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by deevie »

Communication with a vsphere host/vcenter from VEEAM also fails over IPv6. I you know Belgium is scoring almost 50% on the google statistics it's very strange there's still software released that does not yet support IPv6. The only reason we have still Ipv4 in our DC is for veeam to work properly.
sege
Novice

Post by sege »

Is IPv6 support in the roadmap at least? I think it is very disappointing such a modern product doesn't support something that necessary.
The BackupMan
Novice
Full Name: Niek Wegh

[MERGED] Veeam and IPv6

Post by The BackupMan »

Is veeam version 9.5 ready for IPV6?
If not when it will be?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Niek, currently it is not supported, however the are plans to add it in future updates.
The BackupMan
Novice

Post by The BackupMan »

Hi Vitaly, We do the administration for 6 local governments. The dutch government is forcing us to implement IPv6 at last in 2019. Since may 2017 we are using veeam as backuptool. So we have to know if veeam will be ready for IPv6 at that time. Otherwise we have to look if there are alternatives. So if there are plans for the future are we talking weeks, months or years?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Niek, unfortunately, I cannot comment on the ETA of this feature (not talking about weeks here), but all requests are being monitored by the PM team.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please also add where you need IPv6 support. For example, does the dutch government literally forces everyone to implement IPv6 even in private datacenters even if there are just a few hundreds of computers (so really, no sense to implement). Or is the requirement only for internet-connected services and service providers. Knowing this would help us a lot. Thanks!
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Post by ssimakov » 1 person likes this post

Lack of addresses is never the reason, even home connections get at least /64 address space in IPv6 which is 2^64 globally reachable addresses regardless of the number of devices. Philosophy of IPv6 addressing/routing is very different from what everyone familiar with IPv4 got used to and it's not about addressable space. I don't know why Dutch government enforces it but the reasons for implementing IPv6 in private datacenters are mostly technological.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1926 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

For example, you don't need NAT anymore with IPv6...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
sege
Novice

Post by sege »

Not having native IPv6 support 2018 is very, very, very bad. If Veeam doesn't put this very high on the priority board (that is, this spring or something) I will have to look for another software.

With the imminent lack of IPv4 addresses, we are forced to use IPv6 for almost everything and Veeam is a big show stopper right now.
The BackupMan
Novice

Post by The BackupMan »

Hi Gostev,
Yeah, they are literally forcing us to implement IPv6 even in our private datacenters and It should be achieved in 2019. There is a special task force now to do the inventory, analyze the environment and implement IPv6.
zimage
Lurker
Full Name: Tim Nowaczyk

Post by zimage »

I would love to have my company's internal-only resources work in an IPv6 only environment. My VMware is working in this way, so why can't Veeam?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Tim, this is just a matter of feature prioritization. For now, lack of IPv6 support has not been in the top 100 reasons for our prospects and customers to prefer a competing solution to Veeam. Needsless to say, we're monitoring the demand very carefully.
darecki
Influencer
Full Name: Darek Margas

Re: Your non-support for IPV6 has become a real cock-blocker

Post by darecki »

PTide wrote:Hi,

Do you need IPv6 to accomplish something specific? If so please provide us some more background.

Thank you.
I do. This is not about having IPv6 only nor having v6 for numbers. This is about stuff which is impossible in IPv4 simply because is not there. These things are AH and ESP present in IPv6 only. So event though I have dual stack I am unable to embed AH or ESP into IPv4 packets.

To give you some context. We run 500Mbps link to dump offsite backups from several locations. To route private IPs and to encrypt content we use multiple VPN servers running OpenVPN and BGP on top of that. Here is the bottleneck - single threaded encryption via openssl library. Even offloaded to AES-NI it does 200Mbps at most. Yes, I can multiply them and make routing even more sophisticated but for what reason?
The same machines exchanging traffic via IPv6 are able to handshake ESP and run directly. No encryption bottleneck as each connection does it for itself. No hassle with gateways, etc. No hassle at all. Except I have no idea how to get Veeam to dump VMs from esxi over IPv6.

Another example for road warriors. All laptops are configured via GPO. No hassle at all. Any of them can open any content from local lan while connected to IPv6. How? Just by authenticating using our CA to handshake ESP. Then it goes. No need to know IP, no dial-in VPN server, no VPN at all in fact. Just IP stack doing its job.

This is why IPv4 is mostly useless now, except to contact these remaining IPv4 only.
VFrontDe
Lurker
Full Name: Andreas Peetz

Post by VFrontDe »

I second that we desperately need IPv6 support! I just tried to configure the Backup Agent for Windows to use my Veeam Backup Server as a target and pulled my hair out, because it did not accept the server's FQDN with an obscure error message. I finally got it to work by using the IPv4 address of the server instead.

Guess what happened: The FQDN was resolved to an IPv6 address (which is desirable in my environment), but network communication failed with IPv6.

Come on, not working with IPv6 is really a no-go in 2018, and changing the code to support IPv6 cannot really be that hard. You just need to make the right choices when opening network sockets and connections, the rest is handled by the underlying Windows routines (which support IPv6 for a long time now).
poulpreben
Certified Trainer
Liked: 448 times
Full Name: Preben Berg

Post by poulpreben » 2 people like this post

I can seriously not understand how Veeam's lack of support for IPv6 is such a big issue for you.

We just deployed NSX to one of our vSphere clusters, and even though it is an enormously expensive, enterprise _networking_ product, the ESG for example, still does not support IPv6 RA or DHCPv6.

Do not get me wrong: I would love to see IPv6 support as well. But there are so many other components of our stack that still lack compatibility that it's irrelevant to discuss.
Mattis
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mattis Richter

Post by Mattis »

Hi Guys,

I raised a ticket #03224456 to asking when IPv6 will be supported because since long time VMware is already supporting IPv6 and we have to use IPv6 in future releases as must have.
Is there any timeplan when veeam will be supporting IPv6?
VMware does not support DualStack configuration and just lost of support causing backup is no option.
It is really important to know if this is already on the roadmap, if you ask me this is more painfully as the limited scheduling options. :)

Many Thanks,
Mattis
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Mattis, we cannot provide any definitive timeplan regarding this feature. Thanks!
Mattis
Service Provider

Post by Mattis »

Thanks foggy for answer and saddly to hear that there is still no timeplan for that. We have to discuss this issue with our veeam sales manager because cannot understand as well that this is without any prio here.

Cheers,
Mattis
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Not without any priority, but with the priority that is lower than other more valuable and/or more requested features get.
chris_lalala
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by chris_lalala »

Understand both sides! I'm 32 years old and still have the opinion that a v6 only world wouldn't exist at the date of my pension :twisted:

I see no reason why we should move to v6 in the backend. My VMs can run fine with v6 only, and vCenter access should be v6 reachable for clients. But we use internal addresses for vSphere hosts and backup servers. So there is no argument for shifting that to save v4 addresses, and there is no other points of contact to the other world.

But I work at a university, and they are planning a complete shift to v6. So our buyers are writing guidelines to purchase only v6 ready products. I think this is a good reason for veeam to start v6 support! Otherwise you loose a lot of customers in the future ...
Mattis
Service Provider

Post by Mattis »

@chris_lalala: I'm confirm with you on a 0815 company, IPv4 Addresses will be enough. In our Case we are Service Provider with several hundreds of customer and the available IPv4 networks are nearly exhausted. :(