Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam ONE vNEXT feedback/wishlist

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Nail,

You can observe VM-related events under Tasks&Events tab and export them to .csv file.

Could you specify why you need historical performance data of the deleted VMs?

Other feature request are taken into account, thanks!
Nail.Mukhametshin
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Наиль Мухаметшин

Post by Nail.Mukhametshin »

This log is not consistent. There is no data regarding configuration changes, power on action, migration with directions, snapshots create/restore/delete and etc.

We providing self-service portal for our internal customers, and some times we need info regarding VMs that has been already deleted.
Nail Mukhametshin | System Engineer | R&D Services Infrastructure Development | Kaspersky Lab
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I believe migration is shown in Tasks&Events if you check from the cluster node or above, but I've got your request.
Thanks for it!
jveerd1
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Joeri van Eerd

Post by jveerd1 »

We would like to be able to select Business View objects in the Job Configuration Change Tracking report. We are a MSP and would like to generate the report only for specific backup jobs. We use vsphere tags to assign tenant VM's to backup jobs.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Joeri,
Business View doesn't group jobs, only VMs, Hosts, Datastores, Clusters and Computers. How many jobs your Veeam ONE server is monitoring?
Thanks!
jveerd1
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Joeri van Eerd

Post by jveerd1 »

Correct, we would like to use the tags for the business view objects. The same tags we use for the backup jobs.
We have about 100 jobs running and are growing.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I've got your request for business view groups of backup jobs, thanks.
What do you mean by "tags for the business view objects"?
AndrewMMwerdnA
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by AndrewMMwerdnA »

Hello!

1st post, I was recommended to head this direction and give my 2c. We are running a small(ish) shop here, and just had a recommendation regarding VeeamOne coverage.

Loving the Veeam One product so far, however we still have a few physical boxes around here and was surprised to see no love for the physical boxes in VeeamOne. Obviously there is a lot of metrics and things that wouldn't be do-able without the VM infrastructure, but it would have been the icing on the cake to be able to see even basic info about the rest of my domain, and to see all my servers. We just don't have the budget or time to setup multiple monitoring applications, and it would be nice to be able to see the handful of other servers in the list for a complete overview.

Perhaps another heading "Physical Infrastructure" or "Non-Virtual Infrastructure" with any-all physical or other devices that don't fall into the Virtual category could go here. Would need some sort of agent to gather said info, which I would be 100% ok installing. Just my 2c - That's the only thing that would make this product more robust for our meager usage. :mrgreen:
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello AndrewMMwerdnA and welcome to the community!
There is some love for the physical infrastructures as well. There are reports, alarms and even workaround to collect performance data.
How many physical servers do you have in your infrastructure? Do you protect those physical boxes with Veeam Agents?
Thanks!
MaartenK
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Maarten Kalkema

[MERGED] Re: SCVMM 2019

Post by MaartenK »

Hi Boorya,

Yes it does. It is an optional component. See here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/d ... l?ver=95u4. The latest version we support is SCVMM 1803
Microsoft System Center 1803 Virtual Machine Manager is a 4.1 version
Microsoft System Center 2019 Virtual Machine Manager is a 10.19.1013.0 version
https://buildnumbers.wordpress.com/scvmm/

We have recently upgraded SCVMM to 2019 and Veeam ONE does not work anymore. Will SCVMM 2019 added to VeeamONE, soon?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Maarten,

Official support for SCVMM 2019 is coming in the next version we are currently working on (coming soon, but no ETA yet). As of now, please reach out to our technical support to get a compatibility hotfix.

Thanks
AndrewMMwerdnA
Novice

Post by AndrewMMwerdnA » 1 person likes this post

Shestakov wrote: Jul 30, 2019 8:49 am Hello AndrewMMwerdnA and welcome to the community!
There is some love for the physical infrastructures as well. There are reports, alarms and even workaround to collect performance data.
How many physical servers do you have in your infrastructure? Do you protect those physical boxes with Veeam Agents?
Thanks!
Thanks for the quick reply!

We have 5 or so physical servers, (VeeamB&R, DC, SQL, etc...) - They are all backed up with B&R Agents. Maybe I should have clarified my question a bit more: Is is possible to get anything other than your Virtual Infrastructure in the "Infrastructure View"?

Is there any existing\current documentation regarding this "physical love" we speak of? The alarms and performance data is mainly what i'm looking for, but some reports would be nice too :)

Thanks ahead of time!

Andrew M
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the reply, Andrew.
Do you also have central management from VBR?
If yes, you can add VBR to Veeam ONE and enjoy reporting, alarms and Business categorization for Veeam Agents.
Performance data is not collected from Agents by default, but there is a workaround. You can assign Backup Proxy role to the physical servers and Veeam ONE will collect their performance. It's not necessary to actually use the machines as backup proxies.
MaartenK
Service Provider

Post by MaartenK » 1 person likes this post

wishr wrote: Jul 30, 2019 2:49 pm Hi Maarten,

Official support for SCVMM 2019 is coming in the next version we are currently working on (coming soon, but no ETA yet). As of now, please reach out to our technical support to get a compatibility hotfix.

Thanks
Thank you for your reply. I will contact Support. Last time they helped me very well. And received a hotfix for a similar SCVMM VeeamONE problem.

I wil post my results.
MaartenK
Service Provider

Post by MaartenK » 2 people like this post

Case # 03690416

Veeam Support responded very fast and supplied me with a dll. This solved our problem.

1. Stop the Veeam One services
2. Go to the folder C:\Program Files\Veeam\Veeam ONE\Veeam ONE Monitor Server\ and make a backup copy of the following files:
- VeeamDataProviderHyperV.dll
3. Download the archive [ask veeam support :) ].zip, unpack it and replace the files with the updated versions.

thanks for the help
AndrewMMwerdnA
Novice

Post by AndrewMMwerdnA »

Shestakov wrote: Jul 31, 2019 8:34 am Thanks for the reply, Andrew.
Do you also have central management from VBR?
If yes, you can add VBR to Veeam ONE and enjoy reporting, alarms and Business categorization for Veeam Agents.
Performance data is not collected from Agents by default, but there is a workaround. You can assign Backup Proxy role to the physical servers and Veeam ONE will collect their performance. It's not necessary to actually use the machines as backup proxies.
Is there any way to include those said backup proxies in the Infrastructure View? That would make the most sense...It's called "Infrastructure View" but really it is missing a good portion of our infrastructure. There really should be the options to add sections besides Virtual - Backup Infrastucture, Storage Infrastucture, Physical Infrastucture...etc. Getting the performance data from them is the kicker I suppose...But i've already got agents on my physical boxes for backups, I wouldn't object to an additional agent collecting performance data as well even though you may not be able to get near as much information as you could from a VM's host.

Maybe I should phrase it this way: Is there a way to have a dashboard similar to the Infrastucture View's "Summary" tab in VeeamOne monitor that includes alarms\information for all types? i.e Host\VM alarms, Backup alarms, Proxy alarms, any\all other alarms... If for example I was to set our few physical boxes as proxies, would alarms show for those physical hosts in the "Virtual Infrastucture - Summary" tab? Probably not I would expect...

So therein lies my wish for the wishlist. Expanded Infrastructure reporting and monitoring, or at a minimum the proper inclusion of a physical agent and Infrastructure section where something other than virtual could live and report back data. Currently it's a little...disjointed. Infrastructure View contains "Virtual Infrastructure" and nothing else, and "Data Protection View" contains nothing but "Backup Infrastructure". It seems logical the different types of Infrastructure views should all show under "Infrastructure View". Sandwiched between them is "Business View" which seems a little out of place, perhaps the bottom? Nitpicking I know, but a clean interface where logic should dictate where things are located is going to be a plus. At a minimum, look at renaming the "Views" to show what the actual view is i.e. Virtual Infrastructure for the 1st section (Instead of Infrastructure View) and the same for "Data Protection View". Why not just call it what it contains?

Apologies, I was really hoping this would be the end-all monitoring solution we are looking for being a fairly small shop with limited budget, however tricking Veeam One into thinking there are a bunch of proxies to collect data from sounds a little like an accidental workaround than an actual solution, no?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the feedback.

Backup Proxy servers are intended to be only placed in the Backup Infrastructure section of the Monitor client since they are not supposed to be something else rather than just a backup infrastructure component.

You are correct assuming it's a workaround. Our current priorities are virtual environments and Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructures, where the latter gets slightly more attention because it has the highest demand. I'm not saying we are not flexible enough to adapt to your requirements, or that our vision will never change, but that's where we are at this moment.

There are lots of other products on the market for physical infrastructures monitoring and it's not the niche where we'd like Veeam ONE to play, at least currently. We might be able to expand in the future, but definitely NOT in the short-term.

Honestly, what you are describing sounds like Microsoft System Center Operations Manager (that provides monitoring you are requesting out-of-the-box) with our Veeam Management Pack installed.

And btw, thank you for your suggestions regarding UI labels improvements. It's noted.

Regards,
Fedor
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Andrew,
You can combine dashboards from different infrastructures into a single screen with Veeam ONE custom dashboards.
Could you provide an example when you need to see backup proxy information in the "Infrastructure View" where you see VC/Cluster/Host/VM tree and related data?
We probable need to rename "Infrastructure View" to "Virtual Infrastructure".
Thanks!
stoertebeker
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Norbert Schramm

Post by stoertebeker »

Hello there.
I want to use VeeamOne as a Chargeback Reporter for Backup Storage to generate a report which VM used how many storage over one month. I only found the possibility to build a report which shows me the actual storage usage of every VM at one point in time (when the report is generated). Is this also possible for a period of time so I can calculate with GB-hours of usage?
And the only way to get this report is via PDF (or the same in word or excel). Is there a way to get this report as a csv-file so we could read it by an other program? If not, I have a feature request :)

sincerely
Norbert Schramm
yara12
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Yaroslav

Post by yara12 »

Hello, all!
I'm very interested in the ability to see a list of servers with load graphs in the context of the Storage LUN. Now these charts are available only within the entire cluster(resources), and there can be a lot of them.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

stoertebeker wrote: Aug 12, 2019 12:49 pm Hello there.
I want to use VeeamOne as a Chargeback Reporter for Backup Storage to generate a report which VM used how many storage over one month. I only found the possibility to build a report which shows me the actual storage usage of every VM at one point in time (when the report is generated). Is this also possible for a period of time so I can calculate with GB-hours of usage?
And the only way to get this report is via PDF (or the same in word or excel). Is there a way to get this report as a csv-file so we could read it by an other program? If not, I have a feature request :)
sincerely
Norbert Schramm
Hello Norbert, have you checked Backup Billing report? It allows you to assess storage costs for the backup infrastructure and to track the consumption of storage by backup files.
By the way, do you store backups per-VM or several VMs are backed up into a single file?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

yara12 wrote: Aug 12, 2019 1:23 pm Hello, all!
I'm very interested in the ability to see a list of servers with load graphs in the context of the Storage LUN. Now these charts are available only within the entire cluster(resources), and there can be a lot of them.
Hello Yaroslav,
Could you specify what goal you are achieving? By "servers", do you mean VMs or Hosts?
Thanks!
yara12
Service Provider

Post by yara12 »

Hello,
VMs of course)
stoertebeker
Novice

Post by stoertebeker »

Shestakov wrote: Aug 12, 2019 1:52 pm Hello Norbert, have you checked Backup Billing report? It allows you to assess storage costs for the backup infrastructure and to track the consumption of storage by backup files.
I saw this report but I only need the storage consumption, not the costs (we have a dedicated tool for this). Also this report was a bit confusing for me because I don´t know what values I have to enter in this report. Is it GB/h or GB/month?
Shestakov wrote: Aug 12, 2019 1:52 pm By the way, do you store backups per-VM or several VMs are backed up into a single file?
Thanks!
I use per-VM Backup Files. So theoretically I could calculate it in the linux-shell but this isn´t an option because the name of the file isn´t a consistent key (when I rename a VM for example).
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I saw this report but I only need the storage consumption, not the costs (we have a dedicated tool for this). Also this report was a bit confusing for me because I don´t know what values I have to enter in this report. Is it GB/h or GB/month?
It shows only how much space particular backups take on particular repositories, not GB/hour or GB/month. Could you describe how you charge your customers?
stoertebeker
Novice

Post by stoertebeker »

At the moment we got a snapshot from our old backup system how many data is stored for each node/VM in the backup storage. This number is multiplied with 744 because we have to pay per GB per hour for the storage (like AWS EBS volumes). This is not very precise because we don´t get the daily fluctuation. Ideally I would like to have the usage of every node/VM every hour and sum it up to the "gigabyte-hours" we consumed.
We also would do this with a script if we could get the actual storage usage per node/VM via API or something like that from veeam and write this into a time series database.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Got it. As far as I remember we don't keep hourly metrics for file sizes as the information doesn't change often and we don't want to crowd the database.
However your request is clear and it's taken into account.
Thanks!
yara12
Service Provider

Post by yara12 »

Hello!
I'm interested in the ability to create a alarm about the fall of physical links on the host (event id 27 - nic disconnected)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
You can create an alarm based on every event collected by Veeam ONE. If you see the event under Tasks&Events tab, right-click on it and choose "create new alarm" option.
yara12
Service Provider

Post by yara12 »

Veeam One doest't collect system events. It collect only hyper-v and cluster events.