Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: tape clone possible?

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Dima P. wrote: ↑Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:29 pm
Thanks for the feedback Harvey! It is planned for next major version.
It does mean v11.
/Cheers!
KenM
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ken Mallinson

Post by KenM »

+1
Looking forward to seeing this option be available as well. Our scenario is that a continuous backup to tape job encountered a corrupted tape after writing part of the data to it, the failed tape is ejected, Veeam pulls a new one in and continues writing the rest of the new data. The data that was written to the failed tape is now questionable and should not be trusted to use for a restore.

Currently we have to manually identify the files written to the bad tape, and then manually rewrite them from the disk to a good tape. Restoring from this new tape requires even more manual steps to get the entire chain if it is an incremental backup. Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

Hello Ken,

Thanks for the feedback! It looks like you the upcoming v11 will have this problem addressed not only by tape copy feature we've been discussing here, since v11 will have manual tape verification which creates the detailed 'corrupted files' report. Cheers!
jimmymc
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times

Post by jimmymc »

Hi - stumbled across this thread while looking for info on tape mirroring/cloning and saw it was mentioned that the feature would be in v11.

I've read the tape documentation of v11, and can only see 'Copying Tapes' which is a manual, wizard driven process mainly designed for copying tapes on older generation tapes to new ones, rather than duplicating a tape job to two drives at the same time (a policy required by some financial institutions).

Was that what you meant, or was the feature dropped? (if so, will it be included in a future update?)

EDIT: reading back through the posts more carefully, I can see there were two use-cases discussed - the migration of older tapes, and also tape duplication for policy reasons i.e. keep one offsite, and one onsite etc. My use case is the latter.

Cheers, James
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello James,

The first version of tape copy indeed provides manual start via UI, but it could be scripted via PowerShell. I keep collecting the requests for possible improvements in vNext, so thanks for sharing the feedback!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Folks,

Tape copy functionality is now available in latest Veeam B&R v11, here the detailed how-to: Veeam Help Center - Copying Tapes. Happy testing and do not forget to share your feedback, cheers!
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause » 1 person likes this post

Nice.

One less thing for me to ask about in your next VeeamON session about tape :D
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect