Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
seanleyne
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sean Leyne

Error: There is no FIB

Post by seanleyne »

Over the last 2 days, I have been getting an "There is no FIB [xxxx.vmdk] in the specified restore point." error when performing a replication job with only one VM in the job (v5.0.2.230)

I don't understand what the error means, or how I can fix it.

The job had been running fine for the previous 3 days (it is a relatively new Job).
aschepers
Enthusiast

Re: Error: no FIB [xxx.vmdk] in the specified restore point

Post by aschepers »

I have the exact same problem, only for me it's an incremental job. Ran fine for weeks since the v6 upgrade (patched with the 2 patches already available).

Error: Client error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [10824992].

Windows Server 2008R2, VeeAM B&R 6.0.0.164 (64 bit).

Any help?

EDIT: just found out it is affecting other jobs as well.
axelklos
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Axel Klos

Post by axelklos »

hi,

I have also no fib errors in some jobs and opened a case .. but no solution yet.

I deleted old backups + backup job .. after recreate backup job backup was working
again .. this is not a solution just a workaround.

please let me know if you have a solution.

I think I will setup server again .. probally old veeam installation (1-2 years ago) is the
problem (old veeam db, old ini files ...)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

With all technical issues I strongly recommend contacting our support team as requested when you click New Topic. Troubleshooting any errors requires debug logs review. Thanks!
jamesbranch
Novice
Full Name: James Branch

[MERGED] FIB summary.xml error running replica job

Post by jamesbranch »

Hi all,

I'm quite new to VEEAM - just wondering if anyone had came across this before:

(I have logged it with VEEAM support - case reference is 5183423)

Initializing target session
TextFromTar failed
Client error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point.
Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [3145728].

It only fails on one of the VM's in the job - the other is fine.

It's version 5.0.2.230

Thanks all,

James
ckeasler
Novice
Full Name: Charles Keasler

Post by ckeasler »

I have this same error has anyone found a fix? I have a job with 13 VMs in it and last night all of them returned this error. I do not want to delete my backups and start again!!! That is NOT a solution.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This error is typical for corrupt backup chain and can be worked around by rerunning the full backup (this will just start a new chain). I'm not sure if there is another solution, but anyway, the right step will be to open a support case as the reason of the issue can be found by reviewing the job debug logs only.
ckeasler
Novice
Full Name: Charles Keasler

Post by ckeasler »

Thanks Foggy,
That is exactly what VEEAM had me do. VEEAM recomended I do a full backup and that the error meant that my DB had been corrupted "Somehow". I asked if this means that all of my previous backup jobs are corrupt as well or are they useable. No response yet. Guessing they are corrupt. Performing the full backup did succeed though. Just not exactly a fix for the issue or pointing out a clear cause.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude »

This happened to me yesterday, on a job with 17 VMs. Support said only option was a new full, implied "some sort of corruption" in the db but couldn't tell me how or why. Full backup took 13 hours to complete, and it was successful... but all of the rollback points are invalid. This is easily determined by trying to do a "restore guest files" on any of the affected VMs and choosing a rollback point prior to the new full... it immediately generates an error.

So while I'm glad the fix was relatively "easy" I'm REALLY not cool with losing 14 days of possible rollbacks (I'll be holding my breath for the next two weeks!) and now have to wonder if/when it will happen again. For the record I never had anything like this occur until I upgraded to 6.1 last week. NO idea if that's just coincidence or if 6.1 is complicit... just pointing it out.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

pufferdude wrote:Support said only option was a new full, implied "some sort of corruption" in the db but couldn't tell me how or why.
This is unacceptable response. What is your support case ID?
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

support case ID:5203314- Job failure

Post by zak2011 »

[merged]

Hi,
I got this error message for all the VMs included in the job
Error: Client error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0].

However next time i tried running the jobs manually it succeeded.
What is this related to.
jermen
Novice
Full Name: John Ermen

Post by jermen »

I have a backup job which has 5 VMs in it. this backup jobs runs every 2 hours. at one point the backup job gave an error on 2 VMs:
Error: Client error: The sizes of the default block in increment storage and previous backups are different. Size of the block in increment backup: "1048576", in previous backups: "524288". Failed to backup text locally. Backup: [Prev. backups: "veeamfs:6:777eeb13-c89d-4b1a-a364-5b6de333cb8e (3)

In the retry job afterwards the 2 VMs were backupped correctley, but the other 3 gave the same error as descibed above and this thread:
Error: Client error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0].

The 3 VMs did not backup correctley in al the retry jobs afterwards. Also we did a restore test on this backup chain. The 2 VMs which produced an error previousley did restore well, but the other 3 which gave the summary.xml error could not be restored in any giving time.

We also use a shuffle script to shuffle the location where the backup files are located and also a powershell script to clean out the VEEAM database to create a new ful bakup chain everey weekend. After this shuffle and database clean out the backups went succesfully again.

Any news on this subject?

i will also send an e-mail to support.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Based on the ticket references I can see that some of the problems are still in investigation stage. If you want to get the latest news on this issue, please work with our support team directly.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Have been contacting support for this issue. They say this could have happened to due to connectivity or storage failure. I have gone through the logs and there was no log of storage or connectivity failure. :(
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Is there any possibility to get some kind of an update on this issue. I have just been sending mails back and forth to support and they seem to be clueless.
Tried calling Veeam and the phone services are not working. :?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I am not involved with support, so I'm not aware about the details of your case. I believe it's better to request an update directly from your support engineer using our customer support portal.
zak2011 wrote:Tried calling Veeam and the phone services are not working.
What is the phone number you've been trying to reach us at?
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

I have been trying to reach +47 (85) 40 43 85.
I have just received a mail from support asking to send the specific job log in HTML format.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I've been told that we experienced some intermittent connectivity issues in your region this morning. Right now all services are back to normal.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Thanks for the update!
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Post by Aremac »

I encounterd this error today as well. Retries fail but other backup jobs are running without issue.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The more support cases we have in the works, the easier it would be to nail down this issue, so please let our support team know about this incident. Thanks!
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

The latest update i have got from support is to try disabling "Use multiple TCP/IP connections per job" or even consider using "Active Full" backup during the weekend instead of "Synthetic Full" as performing Synthetic Full is resource intensive and produces 2xI/O load on the target backup storage.

I must say this that the follow up from technical support is really good . Though i am running on VBR6.1 trial, I have been receiving really good support and followup from the support team.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

To shed some light on this error:

Code: Select all

There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point.
The mentioned 'storage failure' was caused by the fact that two different jobs - backup and replication of the same VM - were pointed to the same repository server and replication job was set up to get seed from the same repository where the first job stores its backup. This caused a conflict and resulted in some corrupt record in Veeam DB and a corrupt chain for the backup job, which could be worked around by rerunning the full backup.

This specific issue was addressed in v6.1 meaning that such setup should not lead to corruption anymore (but obviously already corrupt chains cannot be fixed without running the full backup, as backup data in repository is not valid).

However, now we have a couple of cases where this error showed up on a job created in v6.1, most probably due to some other reason. These are being investigated at the moment.
rmayer
Lurker
Full Name: Richard Mayer

Post by rmayer »

I seem to be getting the same error that has been discussed:

Error: Client error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [

Having been at Veeam v5 for some time and now up to v6.1, I haven't seen this error before and would very much like to hear about a resolution.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Richard, the only resolution currently available is described in this topic above.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Just posting this as it worked for me.
Support had asked me to do two things
1) Uncheck the option 'Use multiple TCP/IP connections per job' and then run a Synthetic full backup or consider
2) Consider running Active Full backups.
I tried the first option of running a Synthetic full backup with the option unchecked and the backups worked well. However the best thing would be to follow the suggestion from the Veeam team and contact support directly
fbroussey
Influencer
Full Name: Frederic BROUSSEY

Post by fbroussey »

HEllo All,

I just get this error on two VM's but not with a backup job, only with 2 replicas job. Do you think this is the same behaviour ?

Thanks a lot.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please investigate this with our support team, as it is hard to say what is the reason for your issue without seeing full log files.
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

I see that the latest patch rectifies this issue.

"When backing up to a CIFS share, network connectivity issue during backup may cause backup storage to re-initialize, causing the following runs to fail with the “There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point” error."

For customers currently experiencing the issue, will installing the patch rectify the error diectly, or will a new full / job need to be created?

Thanks,
Andrew
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Full backup is required:
foggy wrote:cannot be fixed without running the full backup, as backup data in repository is not valid