Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam ONE vNEXT feedback/wishlist

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I would appreciate if you could share your positive and negative experiences with v6. Besides, if there is anything you would like to see in the next versions, please post it here and let us know. Thank you!
indyjake
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jake

Re: Veeam ONE v6 feedback/wishlist

Post by indyjake »

Hi Vitaliy,
I would like to see the Summary Tab on the Datastore object similar to what we had with v5. I liked seeing the Top Datastore Read and Write Latency charts there and I haven't seen anything like it in v6.
Jake
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jake, have you had a chance to review our web-based "Datastore" dashboard as it basically "repeats" and extends everything what we had in v5? Thanks!
wil2liv
Lurker
Full Name: Will Childers

Post by wil2liv »

I miss the Virtual Infrastructure Summary and Overview tabs. I really miss the speed dials on the Summary tab that showed CPU, Memory and Storage usage. That was the main screen I usually had up. I also liked the Overview that showed all vCenter Servers, number of VM's, DataStores and event counts.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Will,

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated. The biggest part from what you're missing have been moved to our reports and reporting dashboards. Furthermore, we have extended our previous functionality with even more capabilities allowing you to generate a report based on almost any widget you see on a predefined dashboard.

Btw, did you know that you can now share these dashboards and reports with your colleagues just by sending a direct URL link to them?

Thanks!
hdejongh
Novice
Full Name: Hans de Jongh

Post by hdejongh »

Hi,

It would be nice to be able to exclude certain datastore from the host disk write latency.
I have a simple "image" nfs share which has a high latency some of the time. That generates errors which arent important.
But i cant disable host disk write latency cause then my other luns wont be monitored...

regards

hans
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Hans, good suggestion, thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hans, actually you can create this alarm even today!

Just navigate to Alarm Management tab-> Datastore alarms -> create new alarm -> choose "Rule for specific condition or state". In the drop-down list you will find the datastore latency metric. After alarm rule configuration is complete, assign this alarm on all your datastores, this will allow you to exlclude that "chatty" NFS datastore from monitoring.

Thanks again for bringing this in!
bigfriggin
Novice
Full Name: Big Friggin Unit

Post by bigfriggin »

Would love alternate-OS implementations of the fat Veeam ONE (and Backup & Replication) client. Either through a native binary (unlikely, right?) or through virtualization. I'd love to have a ONE client able to run on my Mac via Wine.
twrangham
Novice
Full Name: Travis Wrangham

Post by twrangham »

I have a couple wishlist items :D

Reporter
Ability to have Captions for your custom Dashboard. I have a lovely dashboard, but dont know what the widgets are monitoring.

Monitor
Further customization for alarm email notifications. To distinguish between Warning and Error rather than having combined

Deleting Custom Alarms can be a pain, and dont like to go away

Being able to rt click and put VM in maintenance mode so no alarms are sent just for it. Would denote different icon

Ability to disable the "Resolved Alarms" email

As other poster mentioned I'd like to see other OS version of the Monitor client or for it to just go Web-based.

And its prob just me, but I dont 100% trust the snapshot alarms.

Thats it, love the product!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Travis,
twrangham wrote:Ability to have Captions for your custom Dashboard. I have a lovely dashboard, but dont know what the widgets are monitoring.
Why not to use dashboard and widgets names to specify the purpose of the widget/dashboard? Do you want it to be implemented in a different way? If yes, could you please share your ideas?
twrangham wrote:Further customization for alarm email notifications. To distinguish between Warning and Error rather than having combined
But we already have it, you can choose to send email notifications only when the error threshold is reached.
twrangham wrote:Deleting Custom Alarms can be a pain, and dont like to go away
Can you please elaborate? Right now I'm working on improving our alarms and email notifications workflow, so I would love to hear your thoughts on that ;)
twrangham wrote:Being able to rt click and put VM in maintenance mode so no alarms are sent just for it. Would denote different icon
Nice!
twrangham wrote:Ability to disable the "Resolved Alarms" email
This functionality is already there, please take a look at Monitor Server Settings -> Alarms tab -> uncheck "Send notification when alarm metrics are back to normal".

And thanks for the feedback!
twrangham
Novice
Full Name: Travis Wrangham

Post by twrangham »

Why not to use dashboard and widgets names to specify the purpose of the widget/dashboard? Do you want it to be implemented in a different way? If yes, could you please share your ideas?

MAybe its just me, and I need an image to show it, but try this. Create a new Dashboard, for a sample Widget choose VMware PErformance, Top VMs IOPs, then some level of your Virtual Infrastructure. When the Widget is displayed on my dashboard there are no captions or label of what this data is. Just some VMs with arrows and different #'s. :)
But we already have it, you can choose to send email notifications only when the error threshold is reached.

I think I am just being picky here. I would prefer have email distribution list get notified of Errors only, which is there now. But instead of the different email DL getting the same Error, just have them get Warning only. Not a huge deal.
Can you please elaborate? Right now I'm working on improving our alarms and email notifications workflow, so I would love to hear your thoughts on that

Ok, upon further testing, this does appear to be working correctly now. Not sure what was happening before.
Ability to disable the "Resolved Alarms" email

This functionality is already there, please take a look at Monitor Server Settings -> Alarms tab -> uncheck "Send notification when alarm metrics are back to normal".
No, I am referring to when you rt click an alarm and say resolve. Those still send emails even when "Send notification when alarm metrics are back to normal" is unchecked. :?

Again, thanks for the responses!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

twrangham wrote:No, I am referring to when you rt click an alarm and say resolve. Those still send emails even when "Send notification when alarm metrics are back to normal" is unchecked
Seems like a bug, thanks for heads up.
twrangham wrote:I think I am just being picky here. I would prefer have email distribution list get notified of Errors only, which is there now. But instead of the different email DL getting the same Error, just have them get Warning only. Not a huge deal.
Good suggestion, thanks again!
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd » 2 people like this post

How about the ability to run a report for a specific metric straight from Monitor instead of going to the default report page. So, if I am in Monitor, click on a VM, then click on a tab like Overall or CPU or Memory and click "View Report" it would be nice to see a report based on the tab I was in and for the time period I selected in Monitor instead of taking me to the Performance/Infrastructure/Other Reports page.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good suggestion!
jantman
Novice
Full Name: Jason Antman

Post by jantman »

I only installed it this morning, but so far it looks wonderful.

Reporter, for the Dashboard view, has that big blue header bar at the top, but there's nothing in it. It would be really nice if I could add a title and subtitle there, like "XYZ Company VM Reporting" and a subtitle with a message like "Data collection takes place every 6 hours."
Dave
Enthusiast
Full Name: DT

Post by Dave »

Hi,

I would like to have more Top VM's and Top Host's tabs and customize them with a save option. For example if you select more vm's to display you get a scroll bar, it would be nice if the box would be bigger so you can see all the info.

Kind regards,
Dave
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dave,

Are you referring to the "global" scroll bar instead of having scroll bars per each table?

Thanks!
Dave
Enthusiast
Full Name: DT

Post by Dave »

Hi Vitaliy,

I am referring to the scroll for the tables.

Kind regards,
Dave
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh...got it. Let me see what we can do with this.
DarkLordSilver
Lurker
Full Name: Stefan Peter

Post by DarkLordSilver »

Hi Veeam

Here is my Feedback to the new version:

Good:
- Web based strategie with external links for every report
- SQL DB
- Monitoring Client is nice, lucky not to much changes to V5

Bad:
- Web Interface is slow and annoying, needs loads of improvement
- quick and easy report templates are missing, it takes way more time to have the same as in Monitor 5
- good and clean overall Template is missing, just stuff with Top VMs (what I personally can't understand, because how is that helping anyone?)
- you can't choose a couple of VMs without using business view to group them, that's not cool
- You can's choose to have a more granular report under 24h
- Session Timeout in the Webinface ... oh god WHY?
- Advanced Tab for sheduling is poor and also poorly documented (basicly the same thing on the screen is copied into the doc, but no explanations like the path for the script, which would have been very useful)
- A cool thing about Monitor 5 was, that i could shedule a report for a clear timeframe : 8AM to 6 PM every Weekday. That seem to be no longer possible.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thank you for your honest feedback on v6, much appreciated.

Let me try to address a some of your comments:
DarkLordSilver wrote:- Web Interface is slow and annoying, needs loads of improvement
Have you followed Veeam ONE recommended system requirements doc? Are you using remote SQL Server or you have installed everything on the same box?
DarkLordSilver wrote:- quick and easy report templates are missing, it takes way more time to have the same as in Monitor 5
Could you please elaborate it further? What report templates are you missing?
DarkLordSilver wrote:- good and clean overall Template is missing, just stuff with Top VMs (what I personally can't understand, because how is that helping anyone?)
Are you referring to overview report template? We have transitioned this report into Infrastructure report and performance templates for specific objects, besides this info is available on our web-based dashboards too.
DarkLordSilver wrote:- you can't choose a couple of VMs without using business view to group them, that's not cool
If this is about VM performance reports, then you can do that via "Custom Performance" report template via Include/Exclude parameters.
DarkLordSilver wrote:- Session Timeout in the Webinface ... oh god WHY?
This is how IIS works actually, you cannot keep the session active forever. Our default timeout is about 30 minutes, this time interval should be enough to create the report required. Anyway, I would appreciate if you could share your scenario of report creation, as I might be missing some obvious thing here...
DarkLordSilver wrote:- Advanced Tab for sheduling is poor and also poorly documented (basicly the same thing on the screen is copied into the doc, but no explanations like the path for the script, which would have been very useful)
What other advanced functionality you would like to have?
DarkLordSilver
Lurker
Full Name: Stefan Peter

Post by DarkLordSilver »

Hi Vitaly

OK, here we go:
1# Server is 4 Core / 6 GB RAM with local Database, so Requirements are met. I'll try to blow the VM up a bit.

2# I'm referring to the "Overall Template" in Monitor5, where I could select my cluster and got an overview of most things going on. I've no idea what the detailed name of the v5 Template was. I can send you the *html if you like.

3# The dashboard is not an option for me. We montitor a remote customer environment with no connection to the outside world and we get once a week those generated reports. What is not usable for and automated report, is not available for us. I don't like the concept that there are things, that are only in the web-based dashboard. And the problem with the actual overviews are, that they are specific for something. Either VMs, Datastores or ESX. I need one template with everything and every metric. I want to choose my Cluster and then get a Cluster Overview, the ESX in details, the Datastores in Detail and the VMs in Detail.

4# Where is this documented? Not in the User guide, nor the interface. And it's pretty complicated, I need a button which gives me the vcenter view and let me pick the machines I want in the report.

5# How can I change the parameter? It's way enough to create a report, but I don't find it nessesary to login more than once a work-day.
What else do you need of my scenario? I need this one big report, i need it generated on 0800 pm and for the time window 0600 am - 0800 pm.

6# Better Documentation would be a start, as I said. Where do I have to save the script i want triggered? How can i use the variables?

Then:
- I seems not possible to me, that you can shedule a report with less than 24h of data. Can you confirm this?
- It also seems to be the case, if I shedule 3 different reports for the same time, one is not generated. I've got this case here, now i resheduled the one not running to another time and will test again.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Stefan,

1. Using a remote SQL Server would also be a good practice (provided that you have a pretty large virtual infrastructure).

2-3. We've got pretty informative configuration and performance overview reports for the cluster - "Cluster Performance" and "Cluster Configuration", please check them out. Moreover, in our next version you will be able to send snapshots of our dashboards via email in the same way you currently do it with the reports, so it will address the issue with not having the direct connection to a remote location. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

4. Exclude/Include functionality works like any search engine. You need to specify VM names or any mask (such as *sql*) to include/exclude the VMs you want. I will ask our technical writers team to include this information to the User Guide.

5. Unfortunately these settings are not something you can set/change manually via registry, they can only be set through Windows API. I will ask our devs to increase the timeout in our next update.

6. It can be placed either on a local folder on the machine where you run Veeam ONE server or on any network share. If you're running this script from a network share, make sure that the account used to run Veeam ONE Reporter Sever has sufficient permission on that shared folder.

7. Yes, you can generate reports only for the past day, week, months etc.

8. Shouldn't be the case. Can you please open a support ticket with our support team to investigate this issue deeper?

Thanks!
cemstar
Lurker
Full Name: Cem Oztunc

Post by cemstar »

In the older version of Veeam Monitor (v5.x), if i clicked on the left panel:
Virtual Infrastructure - {ESXi host name} - Resources
Then clicked on the 'Overall' tab, I would see a colour-coded stacked graph of each VM under CPU/Memory/Network/Datastore.
This was a great way to see all VMs and their corresponding utilisation over a short period of time.
But now it only shows the total amount used for ALL VMs as a single graph.
If there is a sudden peak in CPU, i now need to search through each VM to work out which one is causing it.
Have you removed this method of viewing overall VMs or is there an option i'm not configuring correctly ?

+CemStar+
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Cem,
cemstar wrote:If there is a sudden peak in CPU, i now need to search through each VM to work out which one is causing it.
No need to do that, just navigate to CPU Tab and choose one of the available chart views: "Chart Options" -> Current Object, Child Objects, Child VMs. Thanks!
pwilkins
Lurker
Full Name: Paul Wilkinson

Post by pwilkins »

First Veeam user here, and everything looks great except for one thing. I noticed right off that the Reporter and Business view requires authentication, as it should, but doesn't use SSL or even warn anyone that authentication isn't secured. Given that we're in an AD environment, We'd prefer not to pass around our creds unencrypted over the network. Admins shouldn't *assume* creds are encrypted on any product they install, but from my experience, often times that's exactly what happens. I'd like to see the installation either default to SSL (if cert is installed already), or warn the admin installing that SSL couldn't be used due to lack of installed cert, if they want to security it later the please reference KB xxxxx.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Paul, thanks for the feedback!
Karl-Heinz
Novice
Full Name: Karl-Heinz Hildebrandt

Post by Karl-Heinz »

veeam one reporter | Dashboards | VMWare Datastores | View | Top N Datastore Latency | View Full Report | Object Filter:
My wish: Let me have more than 1 object to view.

Ongoing as above (... Object Filter) | Create Report:

My wish: In the report i would like to have the possibility to choose the number of objects, more or less than 3, in:
Top 3 VMs by ... IOPS

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Karl,

Welcome to Veeam Community forums and thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Currently if you would like to see multiple objects in the same performance report, I would suggest using Custom Performance report that does you give you such flexibility.

Thank you.