Recovery from Tape - Needs major work

Discussions specific to tape backups

Re: Recovery from Tape - Needs major work

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:05 am

paruccone wrote:PS: I'm using the free edition, if the feature is already available in the non-free edition, I apologize for the spam ;)

Don't worry :shock:
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in 9 different environments now and counting!
Didi7
Expert

Liked: 17 times

[MERGED] Restoring from tape

Veeam Logoby KiwiJJ » Tue May 22, 2018 12:15 am

Hi,
If I need to restore a file from the file server which is a 3.3 TB VDK file does Veeam need to restore the whole 3.3 TB from tape to disk first before I can select the files ?

thanks,

John
KiwiJJ
Expert

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Jones

Re: Restoring from tape

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Tue May 22, 2018 10:55 am

Hi John,

Can you clarify which files you have on the tape, .vbk and .vib or just files and folders?
Please take a look on the existing big discussion. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby KiwiJJ » Tue May 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi Dmitry,
As this is a GFS backup to tape there is just the .vbk file for the file server but also .vbk's for all the other VM's on tape as well

thanks,

John
KiwiJJ
Expert

Veeam Logoby KiwiJJ » Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Looking back over this thread I see that the restore of a single file from tape will take days

Not good enough for an enterprise backup solution. I also see that this feature has been requested for years and yet still nothing. As you would be aware from the majority of comments in this thread single file restore is what all of your customers want. And timely restore of files is a basic requirement for a backup product.
KiwiJJ
Expert

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Wed May 23, 2018 8:32 am

That's correct, you cannot perform file level restore from backup on tape at the moment.
This feature is on our radar, but there is no estimated time I can give you.
We are always listening cautiously to the community needs and do our best to implement solutions. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby AlexB82 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:46 am

+1 for enhancing this restore functionality. We have file servers that are 6-9TB each, and it's a pain to restore the entire VM to a repository just to grab one odd excel file, especially when the end user isn't sure of when they lost it or made changes. It can take a week sometimes to load enough restore points to get their file back, which is especially annoying when the customer is bugging you constantly as it's "only one small file they need".
AlexB82
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby pronto » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 am

+1
AlexB82 wrote:+1 for enhancing this restore functionality. We have file servers that are 6-9TB each, and it's a pain to restore the entire VM to a repository just to grab one odd excel file, especially when the end user isn't sure of when they lost it or made changes. It can take a week sometimes to load enough restore points to get their file back, which is especially annoying when the customer is bugging you constantly as it's "only one small file they need".

I agree with that. We are currently running a test to restore the data to the backup server before writing it to tape with a file to tape backup but this is as much nonsense as recovering multiple terabytes to get one file from the backup. I can still hope not to need a backup up to tape so often but hope is what the theologians usually do... :(

Thx & Bye Tom
pronto
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time

Previous

Return to Tape